• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

brokencycle

Reaction score

Please don't lie

The 410 is way bigger than the puny 20 gauge.

Get ur facts straight.

.410 bore, commonly misnamed the .410 gauge, is the smallest gauge of shotgun shell commonly available. It has similar base dimensions to the .45 Colt revolver cartridge, though the .410 is significantly longer, up to 3 inches (76 mm), allowing many single-shot firearms and some revolvers chambered in that caliber to fire shot without any modifications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shotshell_001.jpg

Godot

Reaction score
I'm wondering what kind of war is fought with 410s and how come we (The USA) are only invited to the ones that involve C4, .50 caliber rounds, planes & tanks and such. The only battles that would involve 410s that I can envision are paint ball contests in which one side is really determined to win whatever it is you win in a paintball contest. :)

Godot

Reaction score

I hear the .410 is especially effective on zombies. Especially the winged ones.

Because I'm avoiding my morning exercises I just did a Google search on "how to kill a zombie" and got the following

About 51,200,000 results (0.34 seconds)

Anyone know of any good condos available in Ruby Ridge? :)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any fans of "Scout Rifles" here? I was inspired to post this by seeing an ad in the paper where a local emporium was offering Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifles for $839.

Although Jeff Cooper was a pretty good friend of mine, I have never quite seen the point of these things. Better riflemen than I have told me they have never seen the virtue of these long-eye relief scopes compared to conventional scopes. I suppose if you want to use a stripper clip or carry the rifle at "trail arms," it has some merit, but the Ruger offering has a ten-shot detachable box magazine that cancels these minor virtues.

I am sure it can serve an acceptable big-game rifle, but there are certainly scads of good big game rifles about in numerous configurations that are as good as and in many cases better than a Scout Rifle for this purpose.

Otherwise, it is not much of a sniper rifle, and, like any bolt-action, it would make a fourth-rate fighting rifle by contemporary standards. It is certainly not a target rifle.

So, what exactly is it first-choice for?

I will mention that Finn Aagaard, a man for whom I had enormous respect, had a Scout Rifle that he used for hunting, so it must have some virtues if it was good enough for Finn.

Anyway, any of you fellows care to make a case for the Scout Rifle?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought of the scout rifle as a "survival rifle" in that it seems suited for exigent circumstances where you can't have a modern military rifle. Lighter and simpler to maintain than an autoloading rifle, presumably more accurate, easier to stow, etc.

I would tend to think that this would be a modern iteration of the concept,, especially if it were a takedown, or had a folding stock: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jan, it's a good choice as a general use rifle. It'll make a lot more sense if you look at it as a guide rifle. Without optics you have a very fast and accurate ghost ring site system. It's compact and lightweight so it's easy to carry and quick to bear. The 308 is a solid round with a long track record for hunting big game and in the case of military use it's much more effective on targets at range than a 5.56. When you add optics to it you maintain stereoscopic peripheral vision and scope bite is not an issue. Once you get used to the system it's also a lot faster to get on target and then stay on target if it's moving. In the case of the Ruger you have a box mag but part of Cooper's requirement was being able to load the rifle with stripper clips. Last but not least it's a bolt action rifle. Simple, durable, easy to use and generally very accurate compared to other action types.

Back when I did a bit of guiding I carried a Blackhawk in 45 Colt with tier 3 reloads with 325gr. hard cast bullets and a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 with equally nasty heavy hard cast reloads. I'm sure you're familiar with the guide guns and how well they handle along with what modern 45 Colt and 45-70 loads are capable of. Basically my rifle setup was more than adequate for dealing with anything you would run into in North America.

If I was still guiding my choice in handgun wouldn't change but you can bet I would have a Ruger Scout sitting next to the Marlin. Which gun I would take out in the field would depend on how likely it would be to run into a large very pissed off grizzly bear.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered one of these.

Wait list is long. Not going to be able to take delivery until November or December.

(Desert Tactical rifle with 308 and 338 Norma barrels, along with suppressors)

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just ordered one of these.

Wait list is long. Not going to be able to take delivery until November or December.

(Desert Tactical rifle with 308 and 338 Norma barrels, along with suppressors)

:slayer:

Reaction score
I'm wondering what kind of war is fought with 410s and how come we (The USA) are only invited to the ones that involve C4, .50 caliber rounds, planes & tanks and such. The only battles that would involve 410s that I can envision are paint ball contests in which one side is really determined to win whatever it is you win in a paintball contest.
smile.gif

Everybody knows that the 410 was outlawed by the Geneva Convention. The scorn of the world would come down on you if you used them in war.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking to pick up a no-frills, full size 1911 - not for carry. Looking to try out a Kimber Custom II - anyone with any experience? Other suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads