• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitar and amp purchase

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Not super stuck on the LP, but kinda on it. I can be convinced away, but it'll take some talking
smile.gif

used Les Paul Standard, IMO. Have it set up and it'll be good as new.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of modeling amps, but that's just the purist cork-sniffer in me. Actually it would probably be a great amp for your current needs since you can dial around until you find a preset that sounds good to your ears. Making a standalone tube amp sound good can involve a lot of tweaking and extra gear (effects, etc).

If you like the LP, go for it. They have their warts - heavy weight, inconsistent quality, nonintuitive controls - but they don't suck or anything. I've owned two vintage LP customs but have sold them both. They are kind of like a Benz in that you are paying a premium for the brand recognition and while the quality is not top notch, it is not a junker either.

Keep in mind if you had your heart set on wanking a whammy bar like SRV or Hendrix or Van Halen, you should reconsider the Paul as it is a fixed bridge.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
I'm not a fan of modeling amps, but that's just the purist cork-sniffer in me. Actually it would probably be a great amp for your current needs since you can dial around until you find a preset that sounds good to your ears. Making a standalone tube amp sound good can involve a lot of tweaking and extra gear (effects, etc).

If you like the LP, go for it. They have their warts - heavy weight, inconsistent quality, nonintuitive controls - but they don't suck or anything. I've owned two vintage LP customs but have sold them both. They are kind of like a Benz in that you are paying a premium for the brand recognition and while the quality is not top notch, it is not a junker either.

Keep in mind if you had your heart set on wanking a whammy bar like SRV or Hendrix or Van Halen, you should reconsider the Paul as it is a fixed bridge.

laugh.gif
Loving my new Benz, btw.

I like the looks of that wine red Studio. The LP is a classic look and I'm so/so in the Fender look (sorry gomey). What are some other thoughts, knowing what I want to play? I'm willing to go 1.3k on the LP, as well, it's basically what I was drawn towards, so would want to save some material coin to switch off.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif
Loving my new Benz, btw.

I like the looks of that wine red Studio. The LP is a classic look and I'm so/so in the Fender look (sorry gomey). What are some other thoughts, knowing what I want to play? I'm willing to go 1.3k on the LP, as well, it's basically what I was drawn towards, so would want to save some material coin to switch off.

it's an entirely different sound with the Fenders. Go on sound, not by look. The '59 to '64 teles and strats were my personal favorites, just awesome stuff. I like the Les Paul too, my Goldtop is beautiful. it's all personal preference, I'm not to say one is better for the other.

And despite your insistence (and I do understand), an older LP Standard really might be worth seeking out. IMO a "used" guitar from an era when they were made to a higher standard is better than a new guitar of a lesser standard. Compare a 1964 Stratocaster to a 1965 Stratocaster.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
And despite your insistence (and I do understand), an older LP Standard really might be worth seeking out. IMO a "used" guitar from an era when they were made to a higher standard is better than a new guitar of a lesser standard. Compare a 1964 Stratocaster to a 1965 Stratocaster.
It's just finding that guitar and knowing it's the real deal. Hmm. Hmmm, ebay. What a deal! http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-Gibson-Les-...item4a9ef1f42d

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Fender and Vox amps are great if you are looking for a vintage rock sound (think Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Beatles, Queen). They are not suitable for a modern rock/alt/metal sound.

This is crazy talk, IMO. There are a ****-ton of "modern rock/alt" bands using Fender and Vox. Maybe not high-gain metal, but they're perfectly capable of rock sounds.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
This is crazy talk, IMO. There are a ****-ton of "modern rock/alt" bands using Fender and Vox. Maybe not high-gain metal, but they're perfectly capable of rock sounds.

Yeah I was confused by this. What are modern rock guitarists using? Sure there is some boutique stuff around, like Divided by 13, Carr, and Two Rock, but there are a LOT of Fenders (especially Devilles, despite nobody seeming to like them on message boards) around.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Internet tone-meisters aren't big on the Devilles and Deluxes (and the reissue Fenders, for the most part), but as I understand it touring bands find them to be fairly hardy, and they're common at rental houses for bands that are using venue-supplied equipment on tour.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by origenesprit
Yeah I was confused by this. What are modern rock guitarists using? Sure there is some boutique stuff around, like Divided by 13, Carr, and Two Rock, but there are a LOT of Fenders (especially Devilles, despite nobody seeming to like them on message boards) around.

Yeah I figured this would raise some hackles. In the interest of brevity in my post I oversimplified. I own and play several of these amps and they can provide awesome rock tones. But Pio specifically mentioned metal, which to most people these days means high gain scooped sounds such as Triple Recs, Bogners, Diezel etc. I didn't want him to get steered into an AC30 or Twin Reverb with a tube screamer thinking he was going to sound like modern metal. I was trying to suggest something more versatile and modern, not put these fine amps down in any way
wink.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah I figured this would raise some hackles. In the interest of brevity in my post I oversimplified. I own and play several of these amps and they can provide awesome rock tones. But Pio specifically mentioned metal, which to most people these days means high gain scooped sounds such as Triple Recs, Bogners, Diezel etc. I didn't want him to get steered into an AC30 or Twin Reverb with a tube screamer thinking he was going to sound like modern metal. I was trying to suggest something more versatile and modern, not put these fine amps down in any way
wink.gif

Metal was just one tone. Think more 1990s alt/grunge for what I might mainly be hitting for. Bush, AIC, old PJ, STP, etc. Eh, probably way to early to worry about a "tone" or "sound." Planning to start with the Vox amp in May, start lessons in May, and take it from there. Ibanez Artcore until I get a new axe.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well FWIW I picked up an Artcore Hollow body and it's a pretty damn nice ax for the price. Great place to start.

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
If you want to spend less, Swart is a boutique amp maker that has low wattage tube amps which are also really beautiful sounding. http://swartamps.com/amplifiers.htm
They've also got that fancy new pedal attenuator for late-night playing. I want a Space Tone Reverb in the Blackface-style tolex. The Dean Wareham clips (of an AST) are killer.
It's funny to see the Swart amps mentioned here. I've been on a search for a good clean 5 watt amp for practicing/playing in my apartment and stumbled on the Space Tone Reverb a few weeks back. Most of the clean samples on the Swart website are from the AST, which makes me worry that the STR might not have enough headroom. I'm definitely more of a fan of clean amps that I can distort with pedals. A couple other amps I found were the Carr Mercury, Emery Sound Micro/Superbaby, Gries 5 and some of the Victoria models. Not many boutique amp dealers around the area, so I might have to set aside some time when I'm in Nashville this summer to do some demoing.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gries stopped making amps. A pity, as I hear the 5 was the best 'blackface Champ'-style amp going.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Internet tone-meisters aren't big on the Devilles and Deluxes (and the reissue Fenders, for the most part), but as I understand it touring bands find them to be fairly hardy, and they're common at rental houses for bands that are using venue-supplied equipment on tour.
yeah, almost every band I play with has a deville, blues jr or modern ac30 nowadays. but being they are so common doesn't necessarily equate to bad, but these aren't amazing by any means either. just more convient

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads