• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GTI or other suggestions

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Kunk, you'd look pretty ridiculous in a GTI (fast and the furious much?), and I like GTI's... just don't think they're for a lot of people. How about a CPO G37s coupe?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I think they are still close in price...the STI would win in the performance aspects but not if you are looking for the creature comforts.

I was in an STI and an R32 a few weeks ago (chicago auto show) and there is no comparison between the beauty of the VW interior and the plastic clunkiness of the Subaru.

+1. STI is one of my favorites in theory, but **** the subaru interiors are horrible. had an 04 forester XT for a while and that mother was fun as hell to drive. it was so loud and rattly on the inside i finally got rid of it for an A3.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TDI A3 would be awesome except for Audi's insistence on not making it available with proper transmission/drive train choices. Only comes in Auto and FWD. I want manual and Quattro.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^Foo can squeeze in the middle and they can synchronize their head bopping while sipping on jamba juices.
redface.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
need teh german

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Kunk, you'd look pretty ridiculous in a GTI (fast and the furious much?), and I like GTI's... just don't think they're for a lot of people. How about a CPO G37s coupe?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The GTI, for all its teutonic attractiveness, has always seemed to me to be a bit of a raw deal. It's not exactly cheap (all told), first of all, and:

1) It is front wheel drive. If you live somewhere that you need to worry about snow, FWD just never works as well as you think. If you don't live somewhere snowy, why would you buy front wheel drive? If you want a fun new car, get the 135i. That thing is a rocket.

2) That little 2.0l turbo is fun, but wheezy. The car is fairly heavy, and while the interior is "nice," it's fairly boring. Not so much character in VW's interiors, even less (I find) than Audi's. While ~200 horsepower feels fun for a bit, that enjun really needs some tweaking before it even feels like it is breathing right. And once you've tweaked it, it's no fun to drive a fwd car with massive torque steer. It does have good luggage space, I will certainly give it that. And it looks reasonable - Although I find my 07 WRX so hideous that it's absolutely adorable.

3) VW has an absolutely horrible service record. From what I've heard from friends who own, upkeep is fairly pricey to boot. Mileage seems good, but for a compact it should be.

All in all, in my experience, it is not only fairly boring to look at, but also fairly boring to drive. It is staid, predictable, and utterly normal. Turn-in is nice, and it's got reasonable balance, but the roll-and-stick that characterizes the Audi/VW group is pretty boring. It handles better (sort of) than my subaru (by which i meant there is slightly less understeer), but I'll take the subaru 224hp boxer-4 over the little 2.0t any day, as well as the AWD (that being said, I think the new versions of the WRX are unbearably hideous). But again, I am attracted to the slightly raw, unkempt feel of japanese rally-compacts, and I like driving fast in the dirt.

Some people have mentioned the R32 already - this is probably what the GTI should have been. It's a little ungainly, but at least it's more interesting than a GTI. Audi A3 could be worth a drive as well, but I like the shape less than the GTI. I'm also sick of Audis.

As I said, the 135i is an absolute rocket and an absolute steal. It outperforms most things in its price range, handles like a bmw (with the caveat that I believe it lacks a limited-slip differential), and the engine is to die for. Seriously, that turbo six is incredibly sweet. Ridiculous low-end torque, lovely subdued but potent engine note - at the very least, it's worth a drive.

As is the Subaru STI and Mitsubishi Lancer EVO (and even Mazdaspeed 3, I guess)- although you said German, and if you're considering a "grown-up" car, I doubt you'd like either of those. But if you want performance bang for your buck, Japanese is the way to go.

I have no experience with lexus, but some of the IS cars (the 350 [or the ISF if you jump up about 20k]) might do it for you.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by per0
If you like GTI, take a look at Audi S3. It's more expensive but better than GTI in every way.
No. A whole $10k for a douchebag badge? Thread should read "GTI". No other suggestions. I would also avoid the leather.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by per0
If you like GTI, take a look at Audi S3. It's more expensive but better than GTI in every way.

No way is it much better, pretty much just paying extra for the luxury name.

You really can't go wrong with the GTI for the price and what is offered. If you aren't looking for a hatchback exactly, how about the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I know, I know it's a Hyundai but the 3.8 version starting at $25k with a 300hp engine and being rwd is a beast. I test drove one in a track and it is one fun car to drive, I'd even boldly say even more so than the GTI or the SI (which is the only alternative I really see for the GTI in its class). You do sacrifice some gas mileage with the Genesis Coupe though, I say it is at least worth the test drive.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
a regular non-R GTI costs about 50 grand in my country.
redface.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
No. A whole $10k for a douchebag badge?

Thread should read "GTI". No other suggestions. I would also avoid the leather.

I would also avoid the leather (though I usually dislike leather car seats...). If you can get the plaid upholstery it will be awesome.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have owned several GTIs and now own an R32. The R32 is fast, fun and comfortable with intense sports car feel and DNA. Go drive one then buy one used.

But the newer lower standard tires are anything but standard when it comes to cost so be prepared to shell out some serious dough when it is time to get some new rubber all around.

That being said, you can't go wrong with a GTI except that VW or even Porsche won't be as reliable as many of the azian cars. But you can actually haul things in the GTI, it is quite an efficient auto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads