• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Growing Sideburns

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Are you honestly saying that you're willing to try hormone therapy, which has a number of risks and side effects, just so that you can have filaments of dead cells sticking out in front of your ears?

No, not really. This was more of a vent than anything. I don't expect I'll be able to grow sideburns for awhile, chemically enhanced or otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, CAN you grow sideburns?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Are you honestly saying that you're willing to try hormone therapy, which has a number of risks and side effects, just so that you can have filaments of dead cells sticking out in front of your ears?

Doesn't hormone therapy have a number of secondary effects though? Also, isn't it possible that it's just a delayed development issue?

It really depends on what a doctor will recommend. DHT is far more potent then testosterone so it would have to be a very low-dose treatment. Side effects would probably be along the lines of increased hair growth not specifically localized to the face and possible enlargement of the prostrate. Also to note is DHT plays a significant role in acne.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
No, not really. This was more of a vent than anything. I don't expect I'll be able to grow sideburns for awhile, chemically enhanced or otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, CAN you grow sideburns?

Most people are able to, myself included.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I can't (at age 38). I can grown something, but it's thin and spotty. I have the same issues with growing (or more to the point, not growing) a beard. I can do a decent goatee, but on my cheeks even weeks of growth just gets me a lame, patchy, half-assed Bob Dylan kind of thing.
I've learned to live with the shame.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
If it makes you feel better, I can't (at age 38). I can grown something, but it's thin and spotty. I have the same issues with growing (or more to the point, not growing) a beard. I can do a decent goatee, but on my cheeks even weeks of growth just gets me a lame, patchy, half-assed Bob Dylan kind of thing.
I've learned to live with the shame.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Actually, instead of making me feel better, it's thrown me into a pit of despair. It makes me think I'll never have the requisite sideburns if I decided I wanted to star in, say, Grey's Anatomy.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I take it then that you're not going bald?
Me? No. I have a full head of hair, and the woman who cuts it always comments on how thick it is (double entendre not intended), how quickly it grows, and how she is certain I will never go bald. So my lack of manliness apparently is limited to my face and not the top of the head.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Actually, instead of making me feel better, it's thrown me into a pit of despair. It makes me think I'll never have the requisite sideburns if I decided I wanted to star in, say, Grey's Anatomy.
I hear you. It took me years to get over the realization that I'd never make it as a Mojo Nixon impersonator.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, you're 21; you are not done developing yet. I'm 22 and can't grow anything close to a full beard. Do I care? No. Why are you this concerned about sideburns? If you're willing to go to such lengths to help assert your masculinity I would consider looking a little deeper.

A.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Well, I'm kinda bored waiting for my GF to get home from work, so I used her makeup pencil thing to draw on some sideburns. They kind of looked trashy, so now I don't know if I care that I can't grow them.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Me? No. I have a full head of hair, and the woman who cuts it always comments on how thick it is (double entendre not intended), how quickly it grows, and how she is certain I will never go bald. So my lack of manliness apparently is limited to my face and not the top of the head.
I knew it. It all goes back to your body being told not to convert testosterone to DHT. More DHT, more baldness/more facial hair. Less DHT, less baldness/less facial hair.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
If I had a doctor who would prescribe hormones to let me grow sideburns, I'd get a new doctor.

Yeah, me too, right after I reported him for malpractice.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Yeah, me too, right after I reported him for malpractice.
I'll ask you the same thing: What's the difference between growing hair on your face and growing hair on your head?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'll ask you the same thing: What's the difference between growing hair on your face and growing hair on your head?

The difference is I have a heavy growth of hair on my face (at 21 I only had it under my chin and upper lip so buck up Kwiteaboy) and Im losing it on my head.

Seriously, the diff is not much, but while it would be nice to have my original hair back my advice to myself and everyone else in my predicament is man up and get over it. Either that or limit yourself to the absolute cheapest toupes you can find as humiliating punishment for your vanity.

raley

Reaction score
Man, side burns really aren't all they are cracked up to be. I was kind of wondering why I couldn't grow them for a while, but now that I can, I wish that I didn't grow them. They don't look that good, and they are a pain ********** to shave. They come out of nowhere with no warning, and it is really hard to get them even on both sides. Enjoy your sideburn-free period.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads