• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kaiimac

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to the forum and in need of some advice. I have extremely thick/coarse hair, and I have always wanted to grow it out. I have tried it a few times, and it always looks horrible in the process. Even with a few weeks without a hair cut, my hair gets so "poofy" and huge...mainly I am talking about the clipper-cut sides. I have attempted to get it "thinned out" but it seems to ruin the style that way. Do you flat iron it or use certain products? Or do you even keep the sides shaved and let the top grow? I just don't know where to start. I am tempted to just buzz cut it all the way around and let it all grow the same length. Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer.

I want it something like Pete Wentz, and it looks like his hair would be thick also.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/p...11268.jpg?o=45

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/image...20n%20Pete.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have extremely thick hair and growing it out was by far the best thing I've tried. The weight of the longer hair helps keep it under control. The downside is that it's going to look unfortunate for a while. I found that using a good conditioner helps. If anything, I tend to overcondition, so that my hair becomes a little limp. I also use Garnier Fructis' smoothing milk.

For Pete's hair, you could try a hot iron. His is also layered, but I wouldn't suggest you try that -- or thinning -- until your hair has grown out.

kaiimac

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! How do you wear your hair?

I guess my question is also, like, you know how men's hair is usually clipper-cut on the sides and back and then a bit longer on top? Do you just let that grow out until it gets to your desired length and then go back and have it cut into some sort of style? Or do you get maintenance cuts throughout? Maybe I am overthinking this.
plain.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's longish all over, though not terribly long in back. I pretty much let the natural contours of my hair shape the cut, rather than continuing my futile efforts to beat it into submission. I get it cut fairly regularly now, but I found that cutting it while growing it out was counterproductive. A little trim now and then was fine, but thinning and the like was a mistake. Some of the awkwardness is unavoidable, or at least was for me.

kaiimac

Reaction score
I wanted to bump this to see if anyone has any suggestions or pictures they'd like to share. I have tried growing my hair out twice since this post, and I always get mad and cut it off. The sides literally kill me! I am thinking of trying it again and sticking to it for at least 3 months...when I graduate college.
teacha.gif

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have infamously thick hair. more often than not i keep it long and sweep my bangs to the right like so:
n15600592_34390317_6965.jpg

shortest i'll go is probably something like this:
n15600592_35169416_9462.jpg

right now i haven't had a haircut in 2 months or so. i deal with the poofiness by not shampooing it too much, i prefer letting the oil accumulate a bit and using just conditioner, which is what my stylist recommended.

gatorfan15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
i have infamously thick hair. more often than not i keep it long and sweep my bangs to the right like so:
n15600592_34390317_6965.jpg

shortest i'll go is probably something like this:
n15600592_35169416_9462.jpg

right now i haven't had a haircut in 2 months or so. i deal with the poofiness by not shampooing it too much, i prefer letting the oil accumulate a bit and using just conditioner, which is what my stylist recommended.

Hey man, you have nice hair, how do you comb it? I've been growing my hair out for maybe 4 months from short length. I never know what to do with my hair when I get out of the shower. If I gel it up, it's too long to stay up and it falls down. If I comb it, it looks awkward for some reason. What do you do for the top and the bangs to look like that?

kaiimac

Reaction score
I really like your hair! So, how long do you go without shampooing? Do you just use water/conditioner every day?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gatorfan15
Hey man, you have nice hair, how do you comb it? I've been growing my hair out for maybe 4 months from short length. I never know what to do with my hair when I get out of the shower. If I gel it up, it's too long to stay up and it falls down. If I comb it, it looks awkward for some reason. What do you do for the top and the bangs to look like that?

thanks guys. um, i actually use very little product, when i did i used this kms molding paste (it smelled kind of like coconut), things like that work much better than gels or sprays, plus it's good for piecing. my girlfriend has this bumble&bumble creme that i used sometimes, but usually i just comb it with a brush when i get out of the shower, then it's pretty much "set it & forget it," however more often than not i have to fix it by running my fingers to get it out of my eyes. but i like to think my hand oils do it a little good.

blow-drying might help if you're trying to keep it up though, i had a semi-faux hawkish cut at one time and my stylist showed me how to give it a layered look using a comb and hair dryer.

Originally Posted by kaiimac
I really like your hair! So, how long do you go without shampooing? Do you just use water/conditioner every day?

yeah, i shampoo maybe 2-3 times a week, i almost always condition save for 1 or 2 days when i just let it get wet and dry.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my hair was thick and wavy when i first grew it out.

as it got longer it turned into curly ringlets.

when it got to that point, i never brushed my hair after it dried, unless i wanted to look like jon bonjovi.

Z3PT

Reaction score
heym i have a thick hair too, and i really want to let it grow
i want something like axl, or similar to it
is ti possible?
some suggestions please

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads