• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gold or gold-plated watch

etseq

Reaction score
I like the look of a gold watch with gold band, but I don't have enough cash yet for a solid gold watch. My budget is only about $1,000 if I were to buy something soon, so gold-plated would be the only option. However, I am not sure whether I would be better served waiting until I had saved enough for something like a used solid gold Rolex President, or something else that would hold its value better.

If I were to go with a gold-plated watch, I was thinking perhaps this Frederique Constant:

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the Frederique Constant, and on the general dilemma of gold-plated now versus solid gold years later.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
IMO, save and buy a nice used Rolex President. Most people here on the SF will say oh just another Rolex, blah blah blah, but SF is .01% of the population and anyone who is in business will know you have a $20K watch on your wrist. I love mine.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Most people here on the SF will say oh just another Rolex, blah blah blah, but SF is .01% of the population and anyone who is in business will know you have a $20K watch on your wrist. I love mine.
Now that is one really tacky comment ... to go along with a conspicuous watch.

If you look in the vintage market, you might find an older watch by a decent maker -- IWC, Jaeger LeCoultre, etc. -- for not much more than $1000 to $1500.

Last edited:

etseq

Reaction score
Believe it or not I'm actually not interested in this to show off something conspicuously expensive, so I'm not wedded to Rolex. Further, walking around with something on my wrist that costs $10,000+ would fill me with terror that I'd get robbed, lose it, or damage it---even moreso if everyone could tell how much it cost.

I'd love other suggestions for gold watches. I only said Rolex just because I think it's a clean classic look, and I think it would hold its value. And I like the look of a gold watch in an outfit like this (which I believe is a Rolex):

I realize the contradictions in my interests here, so no need for wise-ass remarks. I'm still thinking this through...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I realize the contradictions in my interests here, so no need for wise-ass remarks. I'm still thinking this through...
I see no issues with getting a gold toned watch and band by a more mass market maker until the day your budget allows you the watch you want. It's not as if buying a less expensive watch will prohibit the purchase of exactly the watch you seek at a later date.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
Not sure how that comment is tacky...it's more, unfortunately truthfull. The cuff links...yes those are borderline tacky, but I think they look pretty cool with the watch and I only bust them out for weddings, etc when I'm having a good time, never for business.

IMO, the point of having a Rolex President is that its a Rolex President. He mentioned a Rolex President so I was just giving my opinion on that watch. If you just want a gold watch because it looks nice, that's an entirely different story.

PS - Thanks Mac. Took me over a year to find them.

Last edited:

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love my 18k Submariner..................

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont like gold watches. But that submariner looks greats. How mutch did it costs?
I will stick on mines :satisfied:
WD4af.png

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I wil ever wear a solid (head and bracelet) gold watch... just not my thing. :eh:

Last edited:

Poindexter

Reaction score
OP wants a gold watch, but he doesn't want the responsibility of actually wearing a valuable thing on his tender body.

WTF?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO, save and buy a nice used Rolex President. Most people here on the SF will say oh just another Rolex, blah blah blah, but SF is .01% of the population and anyone who is in business will know you have a $20K watch on your wrist.
They may just assume it's a knock-off. Depends if one looks like the sort of person who would wear a $20k USD gold Rolex. BTW gold Rolexs are an extremely common sight here. All counterfeit of course, but then no one really cares and they all seem quite happy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads