• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going bald in college

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So does anybody know whether copper peptides or ketoconazole are better at slowing hair loss? Has anybody read any studies?

Jake431

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjmaglio
It's slowed my recession down quite a bit. Propecia doesn't grow your hair though. For that you need other solutions like Rogaine.

I almost forgot to mention it but Nizoral shampoo (2%) supposedly helps fight the recession so if you're weary of injesting anything that's an option along with that copper peptide shampoo.

If you start taking it before you have bald spots - just preliminary thinning, often times Propecia will cause the thinned hair to regain it's previous thickness.

For Nizoral, is that the prescription strength or the OTC strength?

-Jake

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realized that my hair is definitely thinning at my forehead and at the back (at almost 22 years old) so I decided to just shave my head. If you have the right head shape, it looks great. Plus, girls love to rub the stubble (I shave it 1/8" or 1/16").

Aus_MD

Reaction score
There are many causes of alopecia (baldness). The most common in men is pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia). Some of the less common causes respond better to treatment, and you might consider it worthwhile to visit a dermatologist to have the cause assessed. A condition called telogen effluvium may cause shedding similar to the type you describe.

Aus

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
So does anybody know whether copper peptides or ketoconazole are better at slowing hair loss? Has anybody read any studies?

Ketoconazole has been shown to have a modest effect. Research on copper peptides isn't as credible, but the substance might have more potential.

Neuro

Reaction score
So this is my first post and after reading the previous four pages, I feel a lot better than before I started. I am 18 and will be going to college this fall. Ever since I was little, I noticed I would lose really healthy strands of hair just by running my fingers through it. Only until a year or two ago did I start to notice a sudden surge in loss. I told my dermatologist and she put me on Propecia, which seemed to work very well. However, my mother suggested I stop for a month in order to try a topical system and also because Propecia was so expensive. Well, just a few weeks into my suspesion of Propecia, I decided I needed to get back on it. Since then, I continue to lose hair and it seems like I even lose more than before Propecia altogether. Is it possible that since I did that interruption in treatment, the effects of Propecia are now annulled? I just keep envisioning myself being practically bald in two months and contemplating dropping out from mortifcation.

One last question: Is it possible that losing a lot of weight could have triggered the large amount of quick hairloss? When I was 15, I lost perhaps 70 lbs in less than a year, and that is about the time that I started to lose a significant amount of hair.

Thank you

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neuro
So this is my first post and after reading the previous four pages, I feel a lot better than before I started. I am 18 and will be going to college this fall. Ever since I was little, I noticed I would lose really healthy strands of hair just by running my fingers through it. Only until a year or two ago did I start to notice a sudden surge in loss. I told my dermatologist and she put me on Propecia, which seemed to work very well. However, my mother suggested I stop for a month in order to try a topical system and also because Propecia was so expensive. Well, just a few weeks into my suspesion of Propecia, I decided I needed to get back on it. Since then, I continue to lose hair and it seems like I even lose more than before Propecia altogether. Is it possible that since I did that interruption in treatment, the effects of Propecia are now annulled? I just keep envisioning myself being practically bald in two months and contemplating dropping out from mortifcation.

One last question: Is it possible that losing a lot of weight could have triggered the large amount of quick hairloss? When I was 15, I lost perhaps 70 lbs in less than a year, and that is about the time that I started to lose a significant amount of hair.

Thank you

Yes, dramatic weight loss can cause hair loss, most likely temporary. I would see a dermatologist for an accurate assessment. Also, propecia causes initally shedding but I would assess your hair loss after 6 months on it as it really takes that long to have an affect. Think long term, stay conservative, and try to keep your cool.

SHEDDING: Our hair naturally goes through growth and resting cycles. Each hair has its own cycle, and at any given time, a large % of follicles are "resting" while the remainder are "growing" as hair on the scalp. When Propecia enters the system, the sudden removal of DHT from the follicles can sometimes shock a large number of follicles to enter into the resting phase at the same time. Its known as a synchronization of the hair cycle. To the layman, it's frequently known as the "shedding sh*ts". Panic can set in as the person who sought to stop their hair loss, suddenly see's it get worse right before their eyes. The change is typically not noticeable to anyone but the one on the treatment, but its enough to cause many to freak out and lose their stability. We are here to inform you to NOT worry about shedding. If you are shedding, this means you are responding to the treatment. A larger number of hairs have entered into dormancy so that they can rest, and rejuvenate in 2 or 3 months free of any DHT affliction. It's as simple as that. Shedding rarely lasts more than 4 months, and typically results in a sudden "awakening" of large numbers of hairs.

liamseo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Shaving one's head should always be tried to see if it is a good look on you as some men can look tremendous especially athetic, strong jawed and darker skin.

Yeah.. depending on one's feature, shaving your hair to hide the aesthetic problems caused by hair loss can either make you look good or make you look worst..

i have this skinny friend that shaved his head at the first sign of hair loss.. instead of looking better, he looked like a world war II prisoner of war.. with the skinny physique..

so be careful when considering shaving your head..

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by liamseo
Yeah.. depending on one's feature, shaving your hair to hide the aesthetic problems caused by hair loss can either make you look good or make you look worst..

i have this skinny friend that shaved his head at the first sign of hair loss.. instead of looking better, he looked like a world war II prisoner of war.. with the skinny physique..

so be careful when considering shaving your head..

***Agreed, again, athletic, muscular, and strong jawed men with symmetrical pleasing head shapes otherwise you can look like Moby or worse; you best bets are:

The stuff that works
1. Propeica/Proscar and/or Avodart(more potent/but no long term data)
---the best treatment and preventative medicine there is currently are these two meds.
2. Nizoral shampoo
3. Rogaine but it is really messy and no user friendly
Lasty:
4. Follicular Isolation (Fue)(FIT) HT by one of the top 5 docs:
Negative: Expensive
Positive: undetecable, no visible scarring/amazing results I've seen it.

someoneNew

Reaction score
Does anyone know what Matt McConaughey did?
His hair looks sweet in the movies and I know he's had a balding problem for over a decade now.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
Does anyone know what Matt McConaughey did?
His hair looks sweet in the movies and I know he's had a balding problem for over a decade now.

1. He's had a hair transplant and using concealers on the skin in the movies.

2. He has a hair system with or without HT.
He wears alot of bandanas otherwise

Either way he looks pretty good. My bet its a HT with concealers.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EVERYONE on my father's side, is BALD. My mother's side, no. When I was in high school, I had so much hair that my hairdresser had trouble, getting her clippers to work through it. The sides of my head, are still abundant, with hair. I will be 51, in September.

It was devastating to watch my hair, fall out . . . in part because I was never close to my father. He offered no counsel, and just expected me to 'fall in,' as the saying goes. I went instead, to several doctors.

Two dermatologists told me that the only hope I had, was strong massages each night, and a strong vitamin, each day. Another one, said that I should try minoxidil, which had just begun to appear on the market. I was already in my thirties, by that time. A little old, for that preparation. I tried it. The back of my head, began to stop shedding hair. Were I still on the 'dil, I think I'd have no open spot, even under light.

I got sick of it. As soon as I went off the stuff, my hair began its regression once more. Most of my loss is at the back, but my hairline has opened up considerably, too.

Soooooo . . . I began to do the massages. Every, single night. Vigorous massages with my fingers, for TWENTY minutes. This brings all the oils of your hair, to the surface. Your scalp will tingle, and get red. Lots of hair began to fall out. I didn't care . . . that was going to happen, anyway. BUT, after about a month, I began really to see a difference. The loss began rather, to stay put, where it was. I began as well, to use a massaging tool, during shampoos. You've seen them . . . they've got all those little 'teeth,' that distribute the shampoo more evenly on your head. Also, you get a great massage. I think now, that my hair loss, has just about stopped. I am convinced, that had I not taken these steps . . . I'd be bald. This is not to say that my methods would work for everyone. But, for me they were good enough. I wear lots of hats, and can live with an opening at the back of my hair pattern. Also, on special occasions, TOPPIX, works great for me. I blend the gray and the dark brown . . . totally fills in in the 'hole.' Here I am, at 49. Nobody else on my father's side of he family, has this much hair left.
4ab4scd.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads