• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gianluca sportcoat

Pink22m

Reaction score
I was at the Nordstrom rack today, and discovered a beautiful 3 button blue sportcoat by Gianluca. The sportcoat is a 60/40 cotton/wool blend, side vented, and has pick stitching, with the lapels rolling to the second button. It also has larger patch type pockets on both sides down near the hem. I am normally a 36R, and this coat was a 38S. I tried it on three times with a dress shirt underneath, and it seemed to fit me quite well. Because of my ambivalence, I decided I would think it over tonight and go back tomorrow if I wanted to still get it. The garment seems to be priced quite well; the sticker says $239, but there is a further 30% reduction off of that price, which would make the coat around $170 or so after tax. I noticed that the garment also is designed for working sleeve buttons, but I found no trace of the buttons in the pockets. Would it be relatively easy for a tailor to get a set of buttons to put on that would match closely with the current buttons on the coat? If so, I am seriously considering getting this coat, as it would be perfect for the spring.

ranchsooner

Reaction score
You could contact Isaia directly and they could send you the matching buttons. You would just need to give them the numbers on the inside of the tag that correspond with the right fabric and model. They can direct you as to what and where that is.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Do I have any other options? There is no guarantee that Isaia still has those matching buttons, and I doubt they would be willing to send me them for a coat I found at the Rack, although I have never directly corresponded with a venerable clothing company in that fashion, so might be wrong.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread raises a question for me. I understand that the Gianluca line is made by Isaia, and that it is a less-expensive line than the garments bearing the Isaia name. My question is about the quality of the Gianluca garments. How good are they? I know that Isaia would be considered one of the top Neapolitan tailors and assume that Isaia-branded suits, etc., would be of extremely high quality. How much of a drop-off is there with the Gianluca line?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
Would it be relatively easy for a tailor to get a set of buttons to put on that would match closely with the current buttons on the coat? If so, I am seriously considering getting this coat, as it would be perfect for the spring.

This should be relatively easy, IMHO. Check out Escobar Tailors. They have an extensive inventory of fabric swatches, so I would imagine they have the buttons to complement all manner of colors. They do terrific alteration work, btw.

Pink22m

Reaction score
This should be relatively easy, IMHO. Check out Escobar Tailors. They have an extensive inventory of fabric swatches, so I would imagine they have the buttons to complement all manner of colors. They do terrific alteration work, btw.
Yes, although contacting Isaia wouldn't be a bad idea, it seems rather extreme for getting a set of buttons. Where would I find Escobar Tailors? Are they online, or are they a chain of shops? Thanks for the recommendation. The more I can be assured of this, the more I will most likely go back and get that sportcoat!

By the way, would Escobar be able to do the working buttons? I heard there is a special tailor that you have to go to that has a special machine to do them.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I found Escobar's website. They seem pretty reputable, and have a few locations here in San Francisco. Have you taken any of your garments to them for alterations? I will definetely check them out. Thanks again for the recommendation!

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
In terms of quality, I think that the Gianluca items are pretty well made. They are clearly a step down from the Isaia line, and are fused which is a problem for most of us here. But of all of the fused pieces our there, the Gianluca stuff are some of the best.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
This thread raises a question for me. I understand that the Gianluca line is made by Isaia, and that it is a less-expensive line than the garments bearing the Isaia name. My question is about the quality of the Gianluca garments. How good are they? I know that Isaia would be considered one of the top Neapolitan tailors and assume that Isaia-branded suits, etc., would be of extremely high quality. How much of a drop-off is there with the Gianluca line?

This is a situation that needs clarity:

Look at the label. Which does it look like?

1) Gian Luca Napoli, with a blue tag, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olive-Tan-GianLu...QQcmdZViewItem

2) Gianluca Isaia Napoli, with a tag like this:

Number 1 is fused and is not made by Isaia. It is nice clothing but not to be compared to Number 2.

Number 2 is canvassed and made by Isaia.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
I believe that the Gianluca line is a company line of Isaia. I am sure there are more, but here are the Isaia lines that I am aware of:
Enrico Isaia - Blue Tag not pictured.
Gianluca Isaia - Black Tag Above
Gianluca Napoli - Blue Tag Above

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Johnapril and HRHAndrew, I'm thinking of the blue label with the words "Gian Luca Napoli," with the "Gian" and the "Luca" staggered and on two lines, with the word "Napoli" in smaller letters underneath, like the blue label above, and appearing on a cashmere/wool blend overcoat. EBay seller "Nitr-o" sells a lot of this line. My impression had been that it was just a lower-priced line made by Isaia. True or false? And, if anyone knows, is the quality good in this line?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Johnapril and HRHAndrew, I'm thinking of the blue label with the words "Gian Luca Napoli," with the "Gian" and the "Luca" staggered and on two lines, with the word "Napoli" in smaller letters underneath, like the blue label above, and appearing on a cashmere/wool blend overcoat. EBay seller "Nitr-o" sells a lot of this line. My impression had been that it was just a lower-priced line made by Isaia. True or false? And, if anyone knows, is the quality good in this line?

False. Gian Luca Napoli does not have the word "Isaia" in it, does it? It is a trick to the eye. Just before the site crashed, someone in the know explained that Gian Luca Napoli is entirely unrelated to the company that produces Isaia.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gian Luca Napoli is OK. I have 1 suit by them. It is not very soft tailoring. And it is fused. To be honest, I like my Armani Collezioni suit a little better.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
I think we are all speaking of the same items. John, can you point me to the article that states they are made by someone other than the Isaia company. I remember reading a trade article that stated differently. Also at the same time there were some other Style Forum old timers who were a bit disappointed by the development of fused lines by both Isaia and Barbera.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads