• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

georgia and yohji in my mind

wildsidefashion

Reaction score
Wonderful forum!!! Congrat!!! It is from my blog:
“for me, a woman who is absorbed in her work, who does not care about gaining one’s favour, strong yet subtle at the same time, is essentially more seductive. the more she hides and abandons her femininity, the more it emerges from the very heart of her existence.” (yohji yamamoto)
Springman_Okeefe_05_1.jpg

christopher springmann O’keeffe portrait
georgia o’keeffe (november 15, 1887 – march 6, 1986)
oh yes, everyone knows that, out of all designers, i like yamamoto the most. i watch, read, listen to… everything i find about him. then i let go it all, but i keep thinking how does he make clothes that even angels would like to wear… in which they would feel safe.
i think, i am almost certain that she would love to wear his clothes. she = georgia o’keeffe. i am convinced that she would wear it just like he imagined a woman obsessed with creation would wear it… after all, she has worn it. that’s it, right? fraternity of persons in space… paths cross for people of same energy at some point, even if they come from different periods…
Yamamoto_BritishLandingGalleries_byABattista2.jpg

yohji yamamoto, v&a museum, london, 2011
dan_budnik_georiga_okeeffe_the_ghost_ranch_potting_shed_silver_gelatin_print_5_000.00.jpg

photo by dan budnik
993498256215ade9cfbf2a84cc9c4648.jpg

610_okeeffe_intro.jpg

georgia O’keeffe in santa fe, by photographer tony vaccaro for look magazine (1960)
b2a85ecf_YohjiYamamotoSuit93a.jpeg

eb204-georgia-oc2b4keeffe.jpg

georgia O’keeffe by laura gilpin, 1953
tumblr_llzo1493EE1qbbjpeo1_1280.jpg

american-artist-georgia-okeeffe-at-her-ranch-home-john-loengard-1966-clear.jpeg

photo by john loengard, 1966
5a4e8-yohjiyamamoto-vogueparis-feb1993-bymaxvadukul.jpg

beaton_okeeffe.jpg

photo by cecil beaton
031161-1.jpg

okeeffe-1965-karsh.jpg

P1990-51-5082_s.jpg

photo by eliot porter

i think it’s so foolish for people to want to be happy. happy is so momentary – you’re happy for an instant and then you start thinking again. (georgia O’keeffe)
dd3045e1ab1ec185f246262bc6e1924c.jpg

“why black? black is modest and arrogant at the same time. black is lazy and easy — but mysterious. it means that many things go together, yet it takes different aspects in many fabrics. you need black to have a silhouette. black can swallow light, or make things look sharp. but above all black says this: ‘i don’t bother you — don’t bother me!” (yohji yamamoto)
there’s something about black. you feel hidden away in it. (georgia o’keeffe)
okeeffe-new-mexico-mobley_26013_600x450.jpg

photo by george f. mobley, national geographic
350x486px-LL-353b121d_pg.jpeg

painting_in_car1254711082.jpg

yohji-yamamoto-2013.jpg

post scriptum:
or brotherhood of persons in the universe (and sometimes on the earth also) i have finished today’s post and i realized that I must add this p.s.she, who painted flowers so strong, so powerful, said that she hates flowers. he, who creates fashion that is timeless, divine, said that he hates fashion. the two people who probably never met, she died in 1986. and her japanese exhibition was in tokyo (the seibu museum of art), posthumously in 1988… but, obviously, they separately shared so much in their lives… the beauty of good energies…

“i hate flowers – i paint them because they’re cheaper than models and they don’t move. ”
“i know i can not paint a flower. i can not paint the sun on the desert on a bright summer morning but maybe in terms of paint color i can convey to you my experience of the flower or the experience that makes the flower of significance to me at that particular time.”
a flower is relatively small. everyone has many associations with a flower – the idea of flowers. you put out your hand to touch the flower — lean forward to smell it — maybe touch it with your lips almost without thinking — or give it to someone to please them. still — in a way — nobody sees a flower — really — it is so small — we haven’t time — and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time …”

– georgia O’keeffe
yohji yamamoto: i hate fashion.
claudia riedel: from the beginning until today?
yohji yamamoto: yes, i may be making fashion in the sense of craftmanship, but i hate the world of fashion.
claudia riedel: why do you hate it?
yohji yamamoto: fashion sighs after trends. i want timeless elegance. fashion has no time. i do. i say.: hello lady, how can i help you? fashion has no time to even ask such a question, because it is constantly concerned with finding out: what will come next? it is more about helping women to suffer less, to attain more freedom and independence.

brotherhood of persons in the universe – tin ujević
“do not be afraid! you are not alone! there are also others like you
that’s unknown of you, living their lives. “

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads