• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CROCKETT & JONES) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

LoKey

Reaction score
have you considered the rain last? Sleekness of Simpson last but wider than forest.
Huh. I didn't realize the Rain was wider than Forest. I was considering Forest because it's the only last with extra width options, AFAIK. Anyone with wider than average feet that can speak to their experiences with the Rain Last?

I wish there was a store in Boston to try out the different lasts.

The u wing pattern might not be available on the forest. But, I am in the same boat. I'd like to try the forest in a wide.

Cxl jodhpurs?
Jodphurs isn't high on my list, but I could be talked into it. Any interest in the 80277?

Todd V

Reaction score

light brown or natural CXL Jodhpurs in Forest last is :slayer: Most likely in.

Anyone have an example of light brown CXL vs. dark brown? The one on the right is Natural.

I found this....

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Rain is wider than Forest, but also sleeker. Rain tapers elegantly from a wide-ish forefoot through to a chiseled toe. Forest has a narrower forefoot and (IMO) a somewhat bulbous rounded toe that does not compliment the otherwise streamlined profile of the last. As you can guess, I'm not a huge fan of Forest. If I want a rounded toe, I go Soller as I find it to be better balanced aesthetically. In terms of sizing, I need to size up by a half in Forest versus Rain, or else go up in width on Forest.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I in no way want to minimize what others are saying and what @RogerP is saying seems to be the general consensus. But I will say that I have a pair of the 973 boots on Rain last done by GF in 8 UK and a pair of the "Fitzgerald" boots in Forest last through Epaulet in 8 UK. For whatever reason, I find the Forest lasted boots to fit me considerably larger. Perhaps part of this is that the 973s have only very limited wear to date and will get roomier as the footbed settles. In any event, if I knew nothing and tried both boots on blind, I'd guess the Forest last was substantially larger or even a half size bigger. But, obviously, YMMV.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is also some variability in sizing from a manufactuing standpoint with most brands. I have a pair of Rain last U-wing oxfords that fit a bit smaller than any other of my Rain-last shoes in the same size, but that little bit of difference compromises all-day comfort. They are an outlier, though.

But my lone pair of Forest-last derby boots that I took in an 8.5 (same size I wear in a Rain shoe) had to be stretched twice and are still a close fit. A pair of Forest PTBs in a UK 8.5 but up a width fit me well. But going up a width accentuates the aesthetic dissonance that I described above. Not the end of the world in a PTB, but enough of an experience with these two pairs to make me realize that Forest just isn't for me. Which is no hardship - Carmina has enough other lasts that work very well for me.

aldenwear

Reaction score

Quote:
Rain is wider than Forest, but also sleeker. Rain tapers elegantly from a wide-ish forefoot through to a chiseled toe. Forest has a narrower forefoot and (IMO) a somewhat bulbous rounded toe that does not compliment the otherwise streamlined profile of the last. As you can guess, I'm not a huge fan of Forest. If I want a rounded toe, I go Soller as I find it to be better balanced aesthetically. In terms of sizing, I need to size up by a half in Forest versus Rain, or else go up in width on Forest.
Carmina offers a wide width option on the rain and forest lasts. In the regular width option, rain is supposed to be a bit wider than forest, but both, in the regular width options, are an average width. As Roger notes, the rain last has a aquarist toe and forest has a rounded toe. Which one prefers is a matter of taste. I think rain echoes the worst of the square - toed clod hoppers, at its best, evokes gaucho shoes. While okay with boots, I think shoes on the rain last look trendy in the worst sort of way. I think the forest last rounded toe lends itself to elegant dress shoes and stylish bluchers. You say tomato; I say tomahto. But whichever last you prefer, or if you prefer both, us wide - footed folk can have either on these lasts. Soller comes in only one width and it is wide-fitting.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is also some variability in sizing from a manufactuing standpoint with most brands. I have a pair of Rain last U-wing oxfords that fit a bit smaller than any other of my Rain-last shoes in the same size, but that little bit of difference compromises all-day comfort. They are an outlier, though.

But my lone pair of Forest-last derby boots that I took in an 8.5 (same size I wear in a Rain shoe) had to be stretched twice and are still a close fit. A pair of Forest PTBs in a UK 8.5 but up a width fit me well. But going up a width accentuates the aesthetic dissonance that I described above. Not the end of the world in a PTB, but enough of an experience with these two pairs to make me realize that Forest just isn't for me. Which is no hardship - Carmina has enough other lasts that work very well for me.

I think the aesthetics of the lasts depend on which type of shoe they're built on (no duh) and also the size and length of the wearer's foot. To me the Forest is perfect for a sleek PTB or relatively unadorned derby but not great for a dressy captoe or wingtip bal.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina offers a wide width option on the rain and forest lasts. In the regular width option, rain is supposed to be a bit wider than forest, but both, in the regular width options, are an average width.

As Roger notes, the rain last has a aquarist toe and forest has a rounded toe. Which one prefers is a matter of taste. I think rain echoes the worst of the square - toed clod hoppers, at its best, evokes gaucho shoes. While okay with boots, I think shoes on the rain last look trendy in the worst sort of way. I think the forest last rounded toe lends itself to elegant dress shoes and stylish bluchers. You say tomato; I say tomahto. But whichever last you prefer, or if you prefer both, us wide - footed folk can have either on these lasts.

Soller comes in only one width and it is wide-fitting.
Totally disagree, as I think most would on this and other Carmina-oriented forums. There is a place for both these lasts - saying the Rain last echoes the worst of the platypus square-toed Kenneth Cole variety shoes is like blaming Eddie Van Halen for all the ****** guitarists who tried to emulate him later. Rain is sleek and demure with just a hint of a soft square and only stands out in American footwear society because most everyone else is either wearing the aforementioned square-toed monstrosities or some blobby orthaepedic-type shoes. To me, they capture the ideal balance for a modern dress shoe - my two go-to pairs are both on the Rain. That said, I have a Forest PTB that I love and that would look a little odd if it were on the Rain last. To each their own, obviously, but I don't look at this as an either/or decision if both lasts fit. Rather, the decision comes as to whether one last better fits the type of shoe you're considering. (Stepping off soapbox...)

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Wait, a SF user who spends a lot of time in the Alden thread is here in a Carmina-heavy thread to slam the Rain last?

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have an example of light brown CXL vs. dark brown? The one on the right is Natural.

I found this....

I think I have the dark brown CXL, its darker in IRL than the photos I've seen on the forum. Ill post some photos later today.

CXL Boot in Dark Brown CXL

Last edited:

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rain last isn't trendy, it's just sleek. Just as almost all of G&G's lasts can be considered modern and sleek. I think even Edward Green is revamping there line up a little and offering more choices in the sleeker lasts such as the 82 and 888. Obviously if one is looking to blend in to the general public the rain, Simpson etc. will stick out like a sore thumb.

Actually, wearing a tie or pocket square or even a sport coat during the day will be enough to make people's heads turn.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^ I in no way want to minimize what others are saying and what @RogerP is saying seems to be the general consensus.  But I will say that I have a pair of the 973 boots on Rain last done by GF in 8 UK and a pair of the "Fitzgerald" boots in Forest last through Epaulet in 8 UK.  For whatever reason, I find the Forest lasted boots to fit me considerably larger.  Perhaps part of this is that the 973s have only very limited wear to date and will get roomier as the footbed settles.  In any event, if I knew nothing and tried both boots on blind, I'd guess the Forest last was substantially larger or even a half size bigger.  But, obviously, YMMV.

This is my experience as well, based on a Forest-lasted boot from Epaulet and a Rain-lasted shoe from Gentlemens Footwear. A Forest-lasted shoe would be a bit loose for me, but is okay in a boot with the extra lacing to keep the foot in place. The Rain last reminds me in look and feel of the C&J 337 last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads