• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone experience with Shinola bicycles, in particular, the Runwell? I read an article about them with interest in the WSJ, and they seem fun:

http://www.shinola.com/shop/bicycles/the-runwell-bicycle.html

It's a decent amount of cash for a the bike, and I assume one could build cheaper with parts, but I'm not THAT much of a cyclist. :)

Thanks in advance.
If somebody were giving me one, that looks quite nice -- but if I was to spend my own dollars, I'd pick up a Linus Roadster 8 for less than a third of that (especially if not riding it five days a week).

Obviously missing are the disc brakes, internal cable routing, and a few other goodies... but I can't personally justify $3k for what was originally a basic kickarounder.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah...Linus or Public will sell you something pretty similar for a fraction of the price. Public steps it up a little bit over Linus, but the prices go up too (although they are having end of season discounts/closeouts...and there is a bike pretty similar to the linus for only $50 more).

Last edited:

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stupid ass FSA BB30 *************. Anyone have one of these? I'm going back to the shop for the third time in as many months to get this damn thing fixed. This time they're swapping it out for a new one.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe you should go to a different shop :satisfied:

I'm inclined to agree with you--however, from the complaints I've read on-line, this problem is wide-spread, so it's not the shop's fault. But I am going to insist we swap this thing out for something better, and not at my cost. It's still under warranty, otherwise I would go to a different shop.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got this bike DIALED (at least for now)...lightest bike I've ever owned (17 pounds even):

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could make a pretty light bike if I forgot half of the frame and too...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
but seriously...how do you ride it for more than 5 minutes without a place to sit down.

I mean, it doesn't have to be a real place to ride and sit, but something to rest on between runs even?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly I just drive to wherever I ride and then pretty much set up shop. The idea of riding 5 minutes straight sounds exhausting. (even in competitions, a rider is limited to two minutes per section).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This bike confuses me...my aero road bike is also lighter w/ deep section rims :hide:

Your wheels probably have 1/3 the spokes (and the deep section is replaced with a wide section).

17lbs does sound a bit heavy for something so small that looks so pimped out, but maybe that's normal. 17 pounds is certainly not heavy for any kind of bike :)

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your wheels probably have 1/3 the spokes (and the deep section is replaced with a wide section).

17lbs does sound a bit heavy for something so small that looks so pimped out, but maybe that's normal. 17 pounds is certainly not heavy for any kind of bike :)

It is pimped out; however, some things just can get only so light. Rims are wide (and need to be), rear tire is 2.6" wide, bars are 30" wide, chain is fairly burly, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads