• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

omg, the video from the failed kickstarter campaign is hilarious:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1202837765/z-torque-bicycle-cranks-ride-faster-longer-easier

at about 1:03 when he shows a "demonstration" of how much faster the cranks are...

its weird... its like being trolled or a scam, but the guy seems sincere, but then I get the feeling that he's about to start to laugh during filming.

the way to take advantage of the pedal stroke and power differential is to make a CAM like mechanism.... this has been done tons in the past (BIOPACE chainring shape for example) and is still utilized till this day by uber expensive brands like ROTOR.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the dude is just clueless--I mean come on, read this (taken from the company website):

Carbon Crafters is a composite manufacturing company that will bring innovative products to market. Our primary goal is to produce new and innovative composite products for the recreational vehicle, boating, automotive, sports, home and even aerospace industries.

Carbon Crafters is an idea developed by Jason Coment a true Floridian who has been a self employed entrepreneur for the past ten years. With ten years of business building experience and an idea that is lightning in a bottle, Jason is building a line of high tech green products that in some cases will establish brand new markets with no direct competition. Jason's experience in business development, marketing and eCommerce will allow him to make Carbon Crafters an innovative and pioneering company in the composites manufacturing industry. Jason, along with a few close family members will pull from their 20+ years of experience in the building and remodeling industry to develop new products that will create brand new markets around the world.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah...I love that they were going to make a carbon version by making a mold of the crank and then filling it with resin? WTF..no way that would be strong enough.

And then later he suggests they might try to make it with plastics so that they can be recycled? Because metal cranks aren't already technically recyclable?

vm1336

Reaction score
I'm happy to hear that my slow bike speed has nothing to do with lack of endurance and everything to do with torque.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, those are a pretty good deal unless you really want to get some blinged out kreitlers or some of the floating-type ones (which are "easier" but don't teach you to be as smooth since they are more forgiving).

I wish I had a set of those instead of my minoura action roller advance which is fine now that I replaced my bearings with some sealed ones I found online...but you shouldn't have to replace bearings on set of rollers that has only seen one winter of mild use.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New craigslist purchase. Can't wait to get it out on the trail.

On a 25-mile ride last October, a Giant rep friend of mine insisted I demo an Anthem 29er carbon instead of my 7-year-old 34-pound monster. Giant has some really good ideas when it comes to suspension. Have a blast with it! :slayer:

Chico2007

Reaction score

On a 25-mile ride last October, a Giant rep friend of mine insisted I demo an Anthem 29er carbon instead of my 7-year-old 34-pound monster. Giant has some really good ideas when it comes to suspension. Have a blast with it! :slayer:

Thanks. This is a 26er but after consulting with my friend who has raced Cat 1 & 2 MTB in the North East this is the way to go. Everyone has their own opinion about which is better (26/29/650b) but I trust his knowledge. I'll be doing a few cat 3 races this year. Main goal is to have fun, but I also don't want to be DFL (dead f'ing last). I just need to get some good training in and drop this extra weight I put on over the Winter. :)

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. This is a 26er but after consulting with my friend who has raced Cat 1 & 2 MTB in the North East this is the way to go. Everyone has their own opinion about which is better (26/29/650b) but I trust his knowledge. I'll be doing a few cat 3 races this year. Main goal is to have fun, but I also don't want to be DFL (dead f'ing last). I just need to get some good training in and drop this extra weight I put on over the Winter. :)

I hear that. At my height a 29er just proportionally works better; I generally make up for the lack of precision with how much momentum I can carry over roots and rocks. This mild winter has been killing me -- I miss blasting across frozen rutted hardpack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics