• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can never go back from Di2.
It's important to point out the nuances and hierarchy in the cycling community. You and I [with Di2) are actually poseur cyclists (aka Fred's). Real cyclists who suffer with older tech do so not because they can't afford Di2 but rather for the sole purpose of pointing out that poseurs don't need newer, more expensive tech like electronic shifting.

It's all very simple and there's no class jumping (unless you marry into it).

Now, if you have Di2 and ride flat pedals...that's an entirely different category and requires the local A group to pepper the offender with over ripe tomatoes from their musette bag and the sticky-sweet remnants of their carb drink from their bidons while chanting "shame...shame".

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's important to point out the nuances and hierarchy in the cycling community. You and I [with Di2) are actually poseur cyclists (aka Fred's). Real cyclists who suffer with older tech do so not because they can't afford Di2 but rather for the sole purpose of pointing out that poseurs don't need newer, more expensive tech like electronic shifting.

It's all very simple and there's no class jumping (unless you marry into it).

Now, if you have Di2 and ride flat pedals...that's an entirely different category and requires the local A group to pepper the offender with over ripe tomatoes from their musette bag and the sticky-sweet remnants of their carb drink from their bidons while chanting "shame...shame".
Man, I ride a Di2 with flat pedals. Almost leper status.

The "real" cyclists are like menswear Trad dudes with with OCBD, skinny Repp ties and center-vent 3x2 roll Navy blazers. Names like Chip or Rusty optional?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New power meter isn't accepting firmware update or going into pairing mode for Find My. Support recommended uninstalling and reinstalling the app for the firmware update; did not engage my question about pairing. Not super impressed...

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New power meter isn't accepting firmware update or going into pairing mode for Find My. Support recommended uninstalling and reinstalling the app for the firmware update; did not engage my question about pairing. Not super impressed...
I can imagine after the recent theft, "Find My" is at the top of the priority list. Don't blame you a bit.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can imagine after the recent theft, "Find My" is at the top of the priority list. Don't blame you a bit.
"Find my" came through for me yesterday..

Parked in a different row than normal in the mall garage when I went to lunch due to Christmas invaders. Came out, expecting to find my Jeep where it normally is, and slowly wandered around like an old person with dementia.
Then the synapses kicked in and I pulled out my phone.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to officially apologize for poking fun at anyone dumb enough to run out of battery on their electronic shifting system. Temps were supposed to hit 50° today so I got all kitted up, pumped the tires and headed off.

Got half way through the loop and see my gear indicator isn't showing on the head unit. That happens at the beginning of a ride and you just have to shift to "wake it up" but its never happened mid ride. My attempts to wake it up are met with empty clicks.

It only occurs to me at that moment that the battery was at 30% when I last rode this bike at the end of October. Completely forgot to charge it once I switched to riding the Roubaix on the trainer indoors. I limped home in the big ring somewhere in the middle of the cassette. Only one big hill that sucked but boy did I feel stupid. Also, it was more like 43°. I'm sticking with indoor rides until spring.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don’t have front/rear batteries? If so you could swap the front battery (that’s usually more charged) to the rear battery (that’s more needed to shift)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don’t have front/rear batteries? If so you could swap the front battery (that’s usually more charged) to the rear battery (that’s more needed to shift)
No, that's a Sram thing (which makes sense). Shimano just has the one non-removable battery. It usually lets the rear run for a while when it's low but I let it get too low so it just died.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that's a Sram thing (which makes sense). Shimano just has the one non-removable battery. It usually lets the rear run for a while when it's low but I let it get too low so it just died.
Once the battery gets too low the Di2 is supposed to disable control of the front derailleur with ~40km or cycling left for the rear. Had that happen to me once when I first got the bike. Was about 10km from home and made it back okay.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The power meter stopped being found by either the app or my head unit. Even though it had previously indicated a solid battery level, I tried a new battery, and that allowed me to reconnect and update the firmware. Support eventually sent me a video showing precisely how to put the meter into pairing mode for Find My. It was pretty close to (nearly indistinguishable, really) what I was doing before, but this time it finally worked. If it's like my previous power meter, this will be the last time I have to think about it other changing the battery every six months or so.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The power meter stopped being found by either the app or my head unit. Even though it had previously indicated a solid battery level, I tried a new battery, and that allowed me to reconnect and update the firmware. Support eventually sent me a video showing precisely how to put the meter into pairing mode for Find My. It was pretty close to (nearly indistinguishable, really) what I was doing before, but this time it finally worked. If it's like my previous power meter, this will be the last time I have to think about it other changing the battery every six months or so.
I tried removing the battery 3x and it wouldn't find it. Maybe I'll just try a new battery.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_4662.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads