• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gear and garb for the bike commuter professional

ihavezippers

Reaction score
I bike commute to the subway generally everyday except blizzards or heavy freezes. Up until now, I've used an old North Face daypack I had to lug my suit, lunch, etc. This works ok, but I have to deal with some minor wrinkling. If anyone knows of a bag that can hold a suit with minimal wrinklage with room for other things (at minimum, lunch container, a couple of bike locks, cell phone/keys), please advise. I don't want the touring gear that rides on the bike; also, I hate the one shoulder-strap bike-messenger-style bags, so I would prefer a typical 2-shoulder strap bag.

Also, I'd appreciate anyone sharing their recommendations on commuting clothes, specifically winter gear. I have an old Performance jacket and matching hat. They are both waterproof and warm, but don't have any breathability (you can get just as wet under the jacket from sweat) and certainly lack any sense of style (20+ years old gear).

Last edited:

ihavezippers

Reaction score
Another critical criteria for the bag which while probably obvious, I forgot to mention---waterproof. My current bag is water resistant for most rains, but if its pouring, everything in it will be soaked.

Also, for the clothing advice, I live in the DC area, so I am looking for something heavier than a typical windbreaker.

plustwobonus

Reaction score
Truce Designs

30L Medium Drop Liner is roomier than Mission and Chrome (I fit the following in mine: dress shoes, dress shirt, dress pants, windbreaker, medium tupperware, medium u-lock and a macbook 15"), seam sealed zips, top pocket is **** when it comes to easy access to keys/flashlights/gloves/misc small ****. FYI they've been prototyping a version w/ an exterior side pocket for a u-lock, if you order through a bike shop or give them a call they might do one up for you.

Protip: roll your suit/shirt/pants instead of folding, greatly reduces wrinkling

http://outlier.cc/ for clothing

Last edited:

ihavezippers

Reaction score
Thanks for the posts, excellent stuff. Do any of these bags have the space to put in a suit similar to some of the small carryon bags, with one fold and a harness to keep in place? I liked the Mission Workshop rucksack for this---it looks like you might be able to put in a suit/hanger without folds at all. The Truce Designs looks too narrow to put in a suit without at least one fold.

Speaking of hangers, are there bike-commuter friendly hangers? And/or, is it dangerous to be riding around with a hanger in my backpack? While unlikely, I imagine if I got hit or otherwise crashed and landed on that the wrong way, I could impale myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads