• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gas or Electric cooking range?

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Current range is dying as we speak, only 2 of the 4 head is working, oven is shot too.

I do a lot of cooking and recently have been looking at a range, the prices are pretty volatile, from the 450s to the 1600s. I heard gas is better, but any downside to electric?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am sure you will get many opinions here, but from what I've gathered, cooktop = gas is better, ovens = electric is better.

x26

Reaction score
Well, I always though a gas cooktop was better, but:
Our new house has a Jennair gas cooktop and I belive I prefer the Ceramic electric cooktop we had previously better.
Surprizingly the caramic electric cooktops are better than ever before with instant on-off heat and alot easier to clean than my gas cooktop.

Hope this helps, and of course YMMV

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take electric over gas any day.

I'll deal with the very slight short comings in heat distribution for the ease of cleaning.

bertie

Reaction score
If you cook a lot - gas has significantly better ability to adjust and moderate heat.

Crosstalker

Reaction score
In our home, we have both (stove) options. I prefer cooking on gas.

I have no useful knowledge about gas ovens.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gas. Electrics generally take longer to heat up, and has that pesky residual heat when you want to turn it off.

Cavalier

Reaction score
You have so much more control over gas.

I would consider a nice electric range in something like a vacation home or condo where easy cleaning were a top priority.

As for as ovens go, I have zero knowledge or experience as I rarely use one except to broil on occasion.

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I'm getting a freestanding range, so pretty sure the range and the oven are both either gas or electric. Can't wait to use the oven, sick and tired of heating the salmon in the microwave. And haven't been able to cook steak without an oven.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We like gas, but do not use the oven near as much as the stove-top -- YMMV.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynHighpost
Thanks for the input guys, I'm getting a freestanding range, so pretty sure the range and the oven are both either gas or electric. Can't wait to use the oven, sick and tired of heating the salmon in the microwave. And haven't been able to cook steak without an oven.
There are a number of so-called 'dual fuel' ranges, wherein the cooktop is gas and the ovens electric. This is what we have and endorse.

Oligarch

Reaction score
If ease and control during cooking is a priority I'd go with gas.

If being easy to clean is ore important, electric is probably better.

Personally, I prefer gas as I'm willing to put in a little extra effort on the cleaning for what I think is a better cooking experience. Any reasons fans of electric stoves like electric over gas other than ease of cleaning?

rlx

Reaction score
Kitchen is dual -- cooktop is gas, oven is electric. Outside is propane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads