• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gas Cooktop Wok Burner

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are buying a home that has an electic cook top.

We will be replacing this with a gas cook top, as I can't stand electric cook tops.

I cook a lot with a Wok, and am thinking of getting a special burner for the Wok.

Anyone have one of these?

Any suggestions on a really nice cook top system with a Wok burner?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
We are buying a home that has an electic cook top.

We will be replacing this with a gas cook top, as I can't stand electric cook tops.

I cook a lot with a Wok, and am thinking of getting a special burner for the Wok.

Anyone have one of these?

Any suggestions on a really nice cook top system with a Wok burner?

I'd think you'd have to go commercial, but beyond that I'm no help.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm completely unaware of wok burners. what's the difference between a wok burner and a normal one? i've used a wok on my kitchen stove plenty of times without any issues.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
i'm completely unaware of wok burners. what's the difference between a wok burner and a normal one? i've used a wok on my kitchen stove plenty of times without any issues.

Wok burners:
DSCF0192.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Or a nice ass induction Wok burner:
OurnewHouse-19.jpg

OP: Doesn't a wok burner seem counterintuitive? I thought the point of wok cookery was to get an incredibly hot bottom for high heat searing but then to have the sides much cooler so that things that got seared could continue cooking without burning. It seems like a wok burner itself would provide too much heat on the sides.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
OP: Doesn't a wok burner seem counterintuitive? I thought the point of wok cookery was to get an incredibly hot bottom for high heat searing but then to have the sides much cooler so that things that got seared could continue cooking without burning. It seems like a wok burner itself would provide too much heat on the sides.
Woks need to get really hot. The problem with using a normal burner is that the sides won't sear at all and things like stir-fry end up being more like stir-stew.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There are a number of good slide in cooktops that have at least one burner capable of 17-20k BTU. That should work on an authentically made wok or a cast iron one, no?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Woks need to get really hot. The problem with using a normal burner is that the sides won't sear at all and things like stir-fry end up being more like stir-stew.

Yes, you nailed it.

We have a pretty nice gas cook top now, but it doesn't have the horsepower to really crank up the heat enough to get things really really hot. You've got to have it so hot that the temperature of the cooking oil doesn't drop much when you add in the meat, etc.

A wok burner is like a regular burner, but a little larger (to cradle the wok) and a lot hotter.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goal is to have a kitchen big enough for restaurant-grade wok burner. I don't really care what the rest of the house looks like (well, actually, the back yard is important for grilling, too).

But yeah, wok burner rules!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

Aren't the woks themselves usually steel construction? They don't transfer heat up the sides as well as aluminum or copper. You get a major hotspot where the flame directly hits, and although @24-30k Btus you probably have side flame, it's not as hot.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Aren't the woks themselves usually steel construction? They don't transfer heat up the sides as well as aluminum or copper. You get a major hotspot where the flame directly hits, and although @24-30k Btus you probably have side flame, it's not as hot.

I'm not very familiar with wok burners, but I assumed that the shape meant that heat would travel up the side of the burner, which would then heat the sides of the wok too. But like I said, I'm not that familiar with wok burners or wok cookery, so I was just curious. If only the bottom of the wok burner heats up and the sides are just there to hold the wok in place, then I'd think you're right.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my set-up in the snow:
2cooking.JPG
15,000 BTU I think, propane powered, $60 from a Chinese restaurant supply, and ontop of an Ikea steel cook roller cart.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Here's my set-up in the snow:

2cooking.JPG

15,000 BTU I think, propane powered, $60 from a Chinese restaurant supply, and ontop of an Ikea steel cook roller cart.

Where do you get your recipe cooking ideas? Is there a book you recommend? Something that has not only ingredients but how to cook with a wok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads