• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Cashmere Overcoats, durable enough?

chatty

Reaction score
Question for those of you with nice cashmere overcoats. Are they durable enough for everyday use? Even for snowy days? What about rain? How do you take care of your coats? Does the softness and feel of the coat get worse over time?

And if you have specific experience with Brunello Cucinelli, I'd be interested to hear as well.

Thanks.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chatty
Are they durable enough for everyday use?
Nope.
Even for snowy days?
Snow won't hurt cashmere.
What about rain?
It's not rainwear.
How do you take care of your coats?
Brush before and after use, hang in cool dry closet on a quality coat hanger.
Does the softness and feel of the coat get worse over time?
Excessive or substandard dry cleaning can be deleterious to the handle.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
I have been using my cashmere overcoat for four winters on a daily basis. Its fine it at most half way through its life, meaning that you should get at least 8 years out of a good coat...

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The elbows will wear badly if you frequently lean your arms against anything.

wetnose

Reaction score
I speculate the longevity of the coat might also have to do with the source as well.

GucciKid

Reaction score
It will also depend on the cashmere. If it's a thinner fabric like Loro Piana I would think it may wear out fast, but I have a 100% cashmere coat in a long haired Cashmere by Crombie that seems almost indestructible.

linux_pro

Reaction score
My Loro Piana Storm System overcoat has been fantastic and worn great. It's about 4 years old and looks new. Yes, I wear it in rainstorms, often without an umbrella. It laid crumpled in a ball in the bottom of my closet for about 6 months once before I realized it was down there. My girlfriend vomited on it after one particularly strenuous New Year's Eve. I've used it as a blanket at various women's houses where cats had pissed on the couch before I slept on it. It once sat in the trunk of my car for about 4 weeks because I forgot it was there. I have also dropped it in mud puddles a few times, and once dropped it in the Puget Sound (saltwater). It is a black coat and still in great condition, looks almost new (although it has been dry-cleaned a few dozen times now). If you want a pic, I can send one.

I would highly suggest Loro Piana StormSystem cashmere/wool blend, regardless of who "made" the coat. Best cashmere I've owned. Oh, and mine was made for Nordstrom's, not sure who manufactured it, but it is a great great coat. And very warm.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linux_pro
My Loro Piana.....It's about 4 years old...... it has been dry-cleaned a few dozen times now
Bullshit

linux_pro

Reaction score
Tomasso, I disagree about rain. I live in Seattle, perhaps one of the rainiest places in the US. My coat has seen plenty of the stuff. It's in great shape. Loro Piana StormSystem is fantastic material in the rain.

Also, I don't understand the point of the quote you posted. Are you saying it hasn't been dry-cleaned very often? That it's not very old? Dry cleaned too often? ??

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FDGDFGFDG