• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday challenge February 9th 2018 - the Ivy League Look.

Who's the mostest Ivy?

• crdb

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Closeau

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • KingPSQ

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • EFV

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • kickstand

• dalevy

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • bienluienapris

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • SprezzaTrash

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • MoneyWellSpent

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Caustic Man

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Sartorial Chap

• Mr Knightley

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • 3piecesuitguy

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • jchosko

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • AAS

Votes: 23 38.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kickstand

Reaction score
I don’t usually include a shoe pic but can’t do Ivy Style without some beat up Aldens.

9549F960-63EA-4F2C-BCE4-223467867515.jpeg

0314133B-F5C4-4646-A28E-C056BBC41D88.jpeg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be entertaining and educational. Great choice, E.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It probably seems that way because it spans a whole wardrobe. Ivy style spans conservative business dress to beach wear. But if you narrow it down to tailored menswear it’s pretty easy to follow because it’s mostly based on silhouette. That silhouette is loose and straight hanging with most of the shape in the jacket coming from the shoulders and the shape of the sleeves. Trousers have no break and are comfortably fitting. A straight line from jacket to trouser leg is desirable with the shoulders sloping down naturally and easing into the lines of the trousers. No sharp breaks or fitted waists. This is the so-called American look whose boxy style has been lampooned in an era when super slim garments are favored by the young and chic.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think @SprezzaTrash has done a good job of approximating the look but I would suspect that he couldn't resist the temptation to take the jacket in at the waist to make it look more contemporary. There is nothing wrong with that. I often do the same to avoid looking anachronistic. But this picture below epitomizes the look. Easy, loose, and long. No front darts, two button cuff, 3r2 closure, rolled lapels, and natural shoulders. This young man is athletic and handsome and needs no fitting to look good in his clothes.

Ivy-Style-1.jpg

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Compare my silhouette to his. He is, perhaps, more refined in the fit and proportion of his sleeves to his shoulder, but mine fits better in the lower half, avoiding the waves he has near the hem and pockets. Nevertheless, the sloping roundness of the shoulder and sleeve is a feature of the Ivy look. This is the opposite of the so called Power Suit. The Ivy look is one that is intended to put those around you at ease rather than to intimidate.

ISLC1.jpg

After you've taken your robo-pose picture, don't forget to chill out and get slouchy. The look is all about being relaxed and comfortable in your clothes.

ISLC2.jpg

Some argyle socks and chunky looking, well worn, penny loafers (pennies included) round out the look.

ISLC3.jpg

aj805

Reaction score
Splendid. Maybe it's a result of the photography/lighting, but to me another quintessential element seems to be the sort of heft in the texture of the jacket fabric that contributes to the whole soft look (and, it's cold up there around Boston, y'know). The herringbone pops right out as well as a bit of nap. He's sharp and polished, but still a tad rustic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads