• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

dirnelli

Reaction score

That said, they might be amenable but even with best intentions, having the work done on the quick and just not having a bit of time to to view the fit with a refreshed eye might hurt the final product.

Knowing CdL, that would not be their style at all to let a client walk away with an unfinished or imperfect garment. They would just as soon not do than do wrong -- they are not wanting for business and I have known them to politely refuse client requests deemed by them misguided.

Last edited:

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A CdL suit takes 70 hours to make. Not sure it's realistic to expect one made in a week.

Thanks. I do not know how much of those 70-80 hours is fitting versus "finishing" the suit after fit is satisfied.

I suppose I'll ask Charles de Luca himself someday.

- M

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score

Lorenzo can communicate in English. No problems at all. You can also contact Romain at Cifonelli in Paris who speaks flawless English.

Lorenzo speaks very good English and I have found Romain to be fantastic. I have really come to admire my Cifonelli garments. I have used Huntsman, A&S and Cifonelli. I find them all great, but they are all different. The handwork on Cifonelli is world class-- especially the stitching. Cifonelli, as many of you have said, is really in between Huntsman and Italian tailors. A&S is different, but equally worth it, in my opinion. It took me some time to get used to Cifonelli but I really admire it.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lorenzo speaks very good English and I have found Romain to be fantastic. I have really come to admire my Cifonelli garments. I have used Huntsman, A&S and Cifonelli. I find them all great, but they are all different. The handwork on Cifonelli is world class-- especially the stitching. Cifonelli, as many of you have said, is really in between Huntsman and Italian tailors. A&S is different, but equally worth it, in my opinion. It took me some time to get used to Cifonelli but I really admire it.

Agree with you...

I have Cifonelli ,Huntsman,Norton and A&S garments and the finishing on my Cifonelli one are perfect..

Lorenzo english is quite good..

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gambit50

Reaction score

CdL is opening a shop in Asia. Pretty surprising move -- http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/02/15/french-menswear-house-mulls-southeast-asia/
How good is Cifonelli's finishing -- I haven't handled their garments before.

What's the main difference, finishing-wise, between the English tailors and Cifonelli?

Yes, I wanted them in a different Asian location but they want to run the show completely on their own terms which is a fair stance. But I respect the decision and would have also respected not opening any location outside of Paris. I favor exclusivity, actually, not for snobbish reasons but just because at some point it comes upon the slippery slope. As long as they keep their standards, everything is fine.

I am not familiar with so many English tailors but enough people(on SF and elsewhere) seem to be of the opinion that much of the finishing is a bit short of what one might expect. Perhaps many are taking shortcuts? I do not know. I have seen some suits from English tailors that look great. Some, not so much but that is for anywhere if you take enough houses into account.

I think Cifo and CdL pop in their detail for the most part. The styling is what is is, maybe you like it, maybe not.
You should hop on the Eurostar and make a day of it.

I'll be in Paris soon for a bit, myself.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having been in Asia for a bit, I'm not convinced KL is an ideal springboard into the greater Asia region, from a commercial (or sartorial) perspective, but rents in KL are much cheaper than in Singapore, for instance, where there is the largest concentration of millionaires, and HK where there is a concentration of tailors.

Hopefully they'll do fine and their standards don't slip.

I understand that the Cifonelli silhouette, unlike the soft coats of Naples, are slightly more built up? In that case, it's probably not that far a jump for me, given my experience with English tailors.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CdL is opening a shop in Asia. Pretty surprising move -- http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/02/15/french-menswear-house-mulls-southeast-asia/
How good is Cifonelli's finishing -- I haven't handled their garments before.

What's the main difference, finishing-wise, between the English tailors and Cifonelli?

Kuala Lumpur

interesting choice, if you asked me I would imagine anyone going to Asia would be setting shop in Hong Kong/Singapore/Tokyo/ or even Shanghai/Beijing or Seoul/Taipei before it gets to Kuala Lumpur

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having been in Asia for a bit, I'm not convinced KL is an ideal springboard into the greater Asia region, from a commercial (or sartorial) perspective, but rents in KL are much cheaper than in Singapore, for instance, where there is the largest concentration of millionaires, and HK where there is a concentration of tailors.

Hopefully they'll do fine and their standards don't slip.

I understand that the Cifonelli silhouette, unlike the soft coats of Naples, are slightly more built up? In that case, it's probably not that far a jump for me, given my experience with English tailors.

I think Cifonelli's cut are more than the classic british (strong roped shoulder, relatively lean chest, clean back and lightly nipped wait).
Overall, French tailoring always concentrate on the finishing, stiff shape all done by hand.

I think KL is a good location, plenty of underrate client. I don't think they cater for the hobbyist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads