• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrances?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
does a bottle of cologne/eau de toilette, once opened, have a limited shelf life? i know i've kept some bottles for a very long time, but are you 'supposed' to do this?
Depends...I read once that the "filler" liquids (usually alcohol) in most fragrances (even the pricer stuff) will alter the essential oils of a cologne as time goes on. So, unless you can afford the pure esential oil stuff, I'd only shelve it for a year or two.
Apparently a bigger issue is whether the cologne has contact with air or worse, skin oils from splashing it on. A spray bottle kept in a dark cool place will last a very long time, while a splash kept under bright lights and used in contact with the skin will deteriorate much more rapidly.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the regular Acqua di Parma Colonia, in a 100mL spray. Â www.neimanmarcus.com had a promo for free shipping and some freebies on orders over $85. I don't think that I have ever smelled the Colonia Assoluta, but it sounded a little too "warm" or something for my taste. Â Amber does not wear well on me.
I hate Assoluta, it chokes me (after just one spray) and takes ages to smell better. I use the regular Colonia though.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cologne chokes me up, so I don't wear it. Old-Spice deodorant does just fine
smile.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a fair while since I've worn cologne, yet I find that I'd like to do so again.

After cruising basenotes, and of course, reading various threads here, I've become interested in Casran. Anyone tried it?

Regards,
Huntsman

Looking to improve

Reaction score

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cologne chokes me up, so I don't wear it. Old-Spice deodorant does just fine Â
smile.gif
Not to go off the deep end, but that IS the BEST deodorant. I avoid anti-persperants, and it's tough to find a pleasant smelling deodorant-only product that works well. Old Spice Endurance fits the bill.

musiczone

Reaction score
I'm intrigued with some of the more exotic brands of fragrances but how would I get to try some of them? I live near the King of Prussia Mall(Phila suburb) but is there a way to get samples via the internet?thanks.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I'm intrigued with some of the more exotic brands of fragrances but how would I get to try some of them? I live near the King of Prussia Mall(Phila suburb) but is there a way to get samples via the internet?thanks.
Aedes de Venustas willl ship you samples of almost anything in stock for a nominal fee (or for free with an order). Also check out the Basenotes Community for people looking to trade/donate samples.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would go to www.fourseasonsproducts.com for samples instead of aedes, it is $5 for 4 samples as opposed to $12.50 for 7 samples from aedes. Also, four seasons is known to send full size spray samples as well. Basenotes' swap board is down for the time being. However, if you would like to sample something, PM me, I can probably arrange it.

musiczone

Reaction score
I ordered some samples from Aedes,and I am very impressed with the Villoresi Piper Nigrum. The vials are rather small but adequate enough.I was hoping to discover one great fragrance but I don't think I can narrow it down to just one. I also liked Diptyque fig scent more than Jo Malone.I will try the other recommended site as well.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
Cartier 'Declaration' (I think)

Rose water cologone, bought in a chemists off Jermyn Street (might be Penhaligons, but not sure)

GFT by Geo F. Trumper

Coral Skin food after shave balm, again Geo F. Trumper

I shave using a sandalwood cream by Trumper, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads