• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foot size to shoe size advice

PSNY

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wanted some feedback. I have two pairs of Carmina tie loafers in UETAM 10 UK and a pair of Gaziano and Girling MH71 balmoral boots also in 10 UK. Tony Gaziano measured my foot a number of years ago and I was a 10 UK. I just got a pair of St.Crispins Chukka Boots Mod 524 on the classic last in 10 UK.

Philip from SC asked me to measure my foot which I did and mentioned he recommended a 9.5 UK. I am topsy turvy. My heel doesn't slip much in thin Bresciani dress socks when tying them correctly (foot against heel, tightening laces and tying). The ball of my foot is positioned where it should be. The heel doesn't slip much, but there is some space (normal I guess?), I cannot fit my finger behind my foot unless I force my foot forward and push my finger in.

My measurement is below. Anyone have any feedback? I just want to be absolutely sure I am a 10 UK and not a 9.5 UK. Have a lot invested and have a big appetite for more.

Finger points to ball of foot

Cheers,
PSNY

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.02.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.02.16 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.08.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.08.37 PM.png
    831.7 KB · Views: 286
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.18.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.18.49 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 292
Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wanted some feedback. I have two pairs of Carmina tie loafers in UETAM 10 UK and a pair of Gaziano and Girling MH71 balmoral boots also in 10 UK. Tony Gaziano measured my foot a number of years ago and I was a 10 UK. I just got a pair of St.Crispins Chukka Boots Mod 524 on the classic last in 10 UK.

Philip from SC asked me to measure my foot which I did and mentioned he recommended a 9.5 UK. I am topsy turvy. My heel doesn't slip much in thin Bresciani dress socks when tying them correctly (foot against heel, tightening laces and tying). The ball of my foot is positioned where it should be. The heel doesn't slip much, but there is some space (normal I guess?), I cannot fil my finger behind my foot unless I force my foot forward and push my finger in.

My measurement is below. Anyone have any feedback? I just want to be absolutely sure I am a 10 UK and not a 9.5 UK. Have a lot invested and have a big appetite for more.

Cheers,
PSNY

Are your sure comfortable in the size you've been using? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. Many of us are not perfectly in size.

papado

Reaction score
Hello All,

Philip from SC asked me to measure my foot which I did and mentioned he recommended a 9.5 UK. I am topsy turvy. My heel doesn't slip much in thin Bresciani dress socks when tying them correctly (foot against heel, tightening laces and tying). The ball of my foot is positioned where it should be. The heel doesn't slip much, but there is some space (normal I guess?), I cannot fit my finger behind my foot unless I force my foot forward and push my finger in.

Cheers,
PSNY

I would actually see if you can try the 9.5UK--I have a similar size foot and after a couple pairs of StC in UK10 which I always thought was right, after some wears they ended up too large for me and had to sell them all :(. The UK9.5 is a better fit for me so far.

PSNY

Reaction score
What is your actual measurement? Is it similar to mine? Also wearing thin dress socks? Are you a UK 10 in other shoes still?

Last edited:

PSNY

Reaction score
It appears my measurement is around 28cm when measuring the longest points on both front and back of foot. That leaves a 0.3 cm or so difference, which is around 3mm, Philip mentioned the 9.5 UK is 4mm smaller. Leaves food for thought. I wish there was a retailer to try the shoe on in the US. It appears there are no stockists left in the US any longer. We used to have The Armory and Leffot in NYC.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's also a thing up to your preference, wether you prefer a snug fit or a more loose one. Nobody else than you can assess what is the right size. I know, it bothers, but it's not an exact science. It also depends from the brand and the last of course.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to be absolutely sure I am a 10 UK and not a 9.5 UK. Have a lot invested and have a big appetite for more.
This is the crux of it right here. If you were 100% satisfied with the fit of your new boots you wouldn’t be asking this question.
There is no way to know for sure without trying on the 9.5UK. Measuring your feet and getting opinions here will not settle the question.

Given how much you’ve spent and how much you will be spending, I’d suggest that you book a flight to Europe and go try them on in person. With the strength of the USD and VAT refunds you may even come out ahead if you do some shopping while you’re there.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's also a thing up to your preference, wether you prefer a snug fit or a more loose one. Nobody else than you can assess what is the right size. I know, it bothers, but it's not an exact science. It also depends from the brand and the last of course.

^
This.

Just buy what size you feel comfortable in. No one on the inter-web can virtually assess.

Some of my footwear is a 9.5, some are a 10. I try and buy what feels right.

papado

Reaction score
What is your actual measurement? Is it similar to mine? Also wearing thin dress socks? Are you a UK 10 in other shoes still?

I'm at 27.8 cm based on my measurement yesterday in thin dress socks. I wear a UK9.5 in Crockett&Jones and John Lobb. Edward Green I'm mainly a UK10 but after recently buying a final sale pair in the same size & last as others I noted it had a little too much instep room for me; I then bought another pair in UK9.5 which works as well. I think I have a slightly lower instep which makes me favor a closer fit.

If you prefer a closer fit with thin dress socks I may say you should take the plunge on 9.5 but it's your call. You can probably make the 10 work and if it gets too voluminous an insole or tongue pad may work; I just don't love having to add those unless I have to so I've been going down in size to have more "ideal" fit out of the box.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It may not be a 'science' but it is a lot more complicated than people want to believe.

First, true fit (in terms of length) is not determined from the back of the heel to the longest toe, it is determined from the back of the heel to the medial ball joint. Measuring heel to toe is just quick and dirty kludge--a short cut, generally associated with commercial RTW shoes where a true it is not possible.

People can have long toes relative to the length of the foot. And on some feet the first toe will be the longest, on other people the second toe. Additionally, there is supposed to be some clearance inside the shoe beyond the longest toe. And every maker has their own opinion how much that clearance should be ... but whatever it is, it doesn't affect the fit, provided the fit is correct.

Second, there is no hard and fast standard in lasts. A size 10 in one maker's lasts may even be slightly shorter than a size 9 in another last.

And thirdly, just as a side note,widths and girth measurements on lasts progress with length sizes So that a size 9B will be roughly equivalent in terms of interior volume to a size 10A. This is how many commercial makers look at fit--they figure if you can tolerate a size 9B, you won't notice much in the way of discrepancy in a 10A, although in fact there are significant differences if only in heel to medial ball length. And that can make a world of difference.

In a specific run of lasts (from a specific maker, usually) the worst thing you can do is allow them to size you up or down length-wise because the shoe is too tight or too loose. That's near-as-nevermind a guaranteed losing proposition in terms of correct fit... although young feet can tolerate considerably more abuse than older feet, nevermind the problems that might arise later on in life.

I could go on...but that about hits the high points.

Of course, if you have been actually measured by a bespoke maker that's ten steps in the right direction, but only if you're gonna use that maker's last.

PSNY

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback gentleman. Philip Carr from SC has arranged for me to try on the 9.5 last locally in New York. That should give me peace of mind and put my doubts to ease.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback gentleman. Philip Carr from SC has arranged for me to try on the 9.5 last locally in New York. That should give me peace of mind and put my doubts to ease.

Good for you, even though it obviously won't give you a definitive answer about your shoe size, but just for that brand and last, and won't exempt you from trying every time which size (and width) fits you better. And this applies actually to every garment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads