• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Magnetic strip.

If I wanted to get fancy, I would get a wooden one...but instead I use the stainless one from ikea and just make sure to be careful not to let the edge snap to the magnet first.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
also, some carbon edge pron

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
oooh, I think I know what that is. Deets?

(I thought they were out of stock)

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mikeman

Reaction score
Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
They are both awesome, you really can't go wrong. I have the black handle Takamura and it's the best knife I have ever owned, though out of your stated price range. The red handle one is cheaper because it uses less total steel, but it's the same quality. It's a lot like the Masamoto in that it's a "laser", which is to say, extremely thin. This is for fine veg cuts, not for anything hard.

I have less experience (but not zero) sharpening a Masamoto. I would say that the Tak is probably easier. I bought this stone:

http://www.mtckitchen.com/p-1638-kitayama-sharpening-stone-for-knives-fine-grit-8000.aspx

(among many others) and lately it is the only one I have needed to restore the edge. It's rated at 8,000 grit but knife geeks say that when you use that little buffer stone (nagura) to prep it, you get a range of up to 12,000.

The other thing I would say is that the Tak is a 50/50 edge, but the Masamoto performs best at 70/30, which is more difficult to do. You can learn how, but it's trickier and will take more practice.

Last edited:

mikeman

Reaction score

They are both awesome, you really can't go wrong. I have the black handle Takamura and is the best knife I have ever owned, though out of your stated price range. The red handle one is cheaper because it uses less total steel, but it's the same quality. It's a lot like the Masamoto in that is a "laser", which is to say, extremely thin. This is for fine veg cuts, not for anything hard.

I have less experience (but not zero) sharpening a Masamoto. I would say that the Tak is probably easier. I bought this stone:

http://www.mtckitchen.com/p-1638-kitayama-sharpening-stone-for-knives-fine-grit-8000.aspx

(among many others) and lately it is the only one I have needed to restore the edge. It's rated at 8,000 grit but knife geeks say that when you use that little buffer stone (nagura) to prep it, you get a range of up to 12,000.

The other thing I would say is that the Tak is a 50/50 edge, but the Masamoto performs best at 70/30, which is more difficult to do. You can learn how, but it's trickier and will take more practice.

Thanks again! Decisions, decisions... That was my one concern about the Takamura– seems to be super thin. However, I'm sure it would be fine.

As far as not cutting anything hard. What does that generally mean? Chopping through like chicken bones is what cones to my mind.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Definitely no chicken bones. Nothing harder than a hard veg, carrot, squash, etc.

If you want to go through bone, you need a deba or a honesuki or something like that.

BTW, the masamoto is very thin, too. that's one of the reasons why it's so great. For veg work, you want a thin knife.

Last edited:

mikeman

Reaction score
That's what I figured. I don't really ever do that, so it's fine. Thanks again for your help. There are just too many damn choices out there!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads