• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A tall cutting board?

Or put something under the cutting board, like bricks.

or more cutting boards.

All possibilities, as long as the thing doesn't move around much. I was thinking maybe built-in butcher block set at the right height. The whole question was inspired by the observation that ideal knife size might differ based on user size -- similarly, lever lengths, angles and so on must play some part.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless you are very tall with very short arms, you aren't going to be too far off from standard, so there should be three and four inch butcher blocks that will suit your purposes. They will not move much.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also put the rubber thingies from large weck glasses underneath the cutting board to provide extra stability.

Einmachring-201020596734.jpg

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless you are very tall with very short arms, you aren't going to be too far off from standard, so there should be three and four inch butcher blocks that will suit your purposes. They will not move much.

I'm not Kevin Willis, but I get your point. :tounge:

Actually, I find the sink worse than the counters for being too low. When we reno the kitchen my short wife and I can fight over this, I suppose ...

You can also put the rubber thingies from large weck glasses underneath the cutting board to provide extra stability.

Einmachring-201020596734.jpg

Good suggestion, thanks.

What's the general opinion of Global knifes?

Since I have 4, probably not very good. :embar:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't like the design of global however the cleaver is the big exception, it's the best on the market.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

with the usual caveat: what's really important is how a knife feels to you, i'll say that i've never loved globals. they were the first japanese-style knife on the popular market and got a lot of attention for that, but the metal handles leave me cold. others love them for just that reason. go figure.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By now I prefer the Tojiro over the MAC Pro. At first I preferred the lighter one (MAC Pro) but now I enjoy the extra weight. I like the clamp of the Global knife since it feels good for my thumb, but that's about it. I still tend towards the Tojiro.

Last edited:

Bradden

Reaction score

For me they worked very well. I have the GS 7(4" Paring), GS 14(Serrated), GS 38 (31/2 Paring), GSF 17 (Bird Paring) G4 (Gyuto), G5 (Veg) G 29 (Meat and Fish) and the G 17 (11" Chef) I will also mention at the time I was in a professional kitchen the options were much more limited then they are today. I did not like the feel of the Henckels and so many other guys had the Wustofs that I chose the Globals hoping that if mine were different than the others less of them would "walk away", mind you soon after American Psycho came out and everyone had them...

I never had a problem with the handles, I worked in a basement restaurant in Toronto that got stupid hot and our menu was influenced from Japanese, Thai, Cambodian, Indonesian (etc) cooking so some precision was required. For me they felt "right" they did what ever I asked of them and so I have no complaints. I was surprised that the veg knife was my work horse and the G4 I used the most during service.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone recommend a Japanese knife suited for a studen'ts budget? I've been toying with the idea for quite a while now, but haven't acted on it. There are just too many makers available. I'm looking for an all-around knife with a non-slipping handle.

Akira

Reaction score

Could someone recommend a Japanese knife suited for a studen'ts budget? I've been toying with the idea for quite a while now, but haven't acted on it. There are just too many makers available. I'm looking for an all-around knife with a non-slipping handle.

I'd suggest a 8"-10" Victorinox Chefs, either in Fibrox or Rosewood. They're pretty cheap, but they're tough as nails.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd suggest a 8"-10" Victorinox Chefs, either in Fibrox or Rosewood. They're pretty cheap, but they're tough as nails.

Agreed. Not japanese, but great knives for the price. And yes, bulletproof. I had one for about 5 years.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found an old crate and barrel gift card and needed a new paring knife (my good one is too long and my short one sucks) so I though I would see what they had.

Did not like the shun at all. The blade felt oddly proportioned and the asymmetrical handle didn't make sense on a paring knife that you might hold in different ways.

Had originally planned to grab the wusthof classic 3.5inch since it's a pretty good knife (and my parents had one, so it is basically exactly what pops into my mind when I think paring knife). Ended up liking the handle on the wusthof ikon a lot better even though it looks a little funny. It also benefits from not having the full bolster so sharpening should be easier.

While I was there, I tried the ikon chef's knife and thought it was nice...I still need to find somewhere around here where I can play with some of the japanese knives, but I wouldn't mind owning the ikon.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I still have a cheap Victorionox paring knife that I use. I don't use it often enough, and it too often gets abused for other uses (wife using it to open packages, etc) that I just don't want to spend money on it. And with a pairing knife, the balance isn't as important to me given that I'm not mincing or chopping with it.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found an old crate and barrel gift card and needed a new paring knife (my good one is too long and my short one sucks) so I though I would see what they had.

Did not like the shun at all. The blade felt oddly proportioned and the asymmetrical handle didn't make sense on a paring knife that you might hold in different ways.

Had originally planned to grab the wusthof classic 3.5inch since it's a pretty good knife (and my parents had one, so it is basically exactly what pops into my mind when I think paring knife). Ended up liking the handle on the wusthof ikon a lot better even though it looks a little funny. It also benefits from not having the full bolster so sharpening should be easier.

While I was there, I tried the ikon chef's knife and thought it was nice...I still need to find somewhere around here where I can play with some of the japanese knives, but I wouldn't mind owning the ikon.

I grabbed an 8 inch Ikon a week or so ago and I'm very pleased with it. Probably grab the pairing knife eventually, too. The handle is perfect on this thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads