• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check on some suits I just bought

compuccesory

Reaction score
Hey guys, I pulled the trigger on some suits at Sartoriale during the July 4th sale. Of course I don't expect non-MTM/bespoke suits to fit right out of the box. Having said that I am also aware that some things are fixable and some aren't and I am often wrong on which one is and which one isn't, so I seek a sanity check/2nd opinion.

Suit 1

The issues generally I have are with the back panel - collar roll, and I guess too tight, and also the sleeve pitch is off, more so on the left sleeve. The right one is off a little but not too much. I understand sleeve pitch is expensive to fix and I am inclined to just live with it if that's the only thing wrong - call me a philistine but I'm skeptical that a slightly off sleeve pitch is really that noticeable in real life outside of Internet still photos.

Suit 2

This one is a bit bigger, same sort of issues as suit # 1 but not as pronounced generally. Sleeves will need to be hemmed of course, and likely the waist taken in a bit. with the back panel let out a bit I think this one is pretty good.

These are the most expensive items of clothing that I have ever bought and ever likely to buy, so if they can't be fixed (Suit 1 concerns me more than suit 2) I would be better off returning, but returning will also cost me a pretty penny in shipping, and I otherwise like the way both suits look(from the front anyway) and feel. It's tough for me to find jackets of the right length and both these jackets are the right length in my eye.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Ben W

Reaction score
For some reason the link for suit #2 isn't working... but I think both need to have the back let out. A little on #1, and quite a bit on #2. A lot of OTR stuff doesn't have a ton of material to work with so it'd be hard to say if there will be enough there that can be let out to fix the problem. A good tailor should be able to tell you before they take on the job.

Also on both trousers there is puddling just below your rear-end. This may be able to be fixed by picking up or dropping the waist band.

compuccesory

Reaction score
For some reason the link for suit #2 isn't working... but I think both need to have the back let out. A little on #1, and quite a bit on #2. A lot of OTR stuff doesn't have a ton of material to work with so it'd be hard to say if there will be enough there that can be let out to fix the problem. A good tailor should be able to tell you before they take on the job.

Also on both trousers there is puddling just below your rear-end. This may be able to be fixed by picking up or dropping the waist band.

Oops, fixed the link.

For suit #1, I am fairly certain that there is enough material in the seams to be let out, as it was a bespoke item (not bespoke to *me* obviously). Whoever it was made for seems to have almost exactly the same height and torso length as me, the sleeves and pant legs are pretty much the right length already, the pant legs might need to be shortened by about 1", but seems to have had a more slouched posture or sloped shoulders. There is more than 1" of allowance in the pant legs and by feel, about that much in the jacket seams.

I will have to check again on #2 which is OTR but I am pretty confident that there is enough there too, it being a fairly high quality full canvas jacket and by my reckoning it doesn't need as much let out as #1. I think maybe some quirk of posture or lighting might be making it look like #2 is tighter than #1 but subjectively the opposite is true. #1 is definitely tighter in the upper shoulders.

For #2 the pants are also about 1" too big in the waist, which I would fix. This was obvious to me so I didn't include any specific pictures of it.

Last edited:

compuccesory

Reaction score
I just took some better photos of jacket #1, this time I just wore a t shirt underneath because I think the previous purple shirt was quite baggy and was showing creases from underneath the jacket which was misleading.

Sadly I don't think this jacket is going to work, as it seems to have been designed for someone with either a hunchback or a significantly different arch in the back anyways. Too bad as I think this is what you folks call a "drape cut" and is quite comfortable in the front.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads