• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First trip to Europe- where would you go?

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
I would recommend you pick a region of Europe that particularly appeals to you and then pick out a few areas within the region to explore in some depth. Some ideas:

1. Italy: Rome, Florence/Pisa/Siena, Naples/Pompei, Amalfi Coast, Venice
  2. Central Europe: Prague, Vienna, Budapest
  3. French Riviera, Monaco
  4. Spain: Madrid, Toledo, Barcelona
  5. Greece/Turkey

One other thing I'll point out for an American visiting Europe: don't be afraid to get out of the cities and explore smaller towns. Ignore the McDonalds you'll find across from the Pantheon (for it is an abomination unto the lord).

I really enjoy Rick Steves' guidebooks. You might even consider watching his TV episodes (which you can probably rent from your local library or catch on TV) to get a feel for different places. I couldn't agree more with his "travel through the back door" philosophy. He says something to the effect that travel is the last legal form of adventure which is truly spot on.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to many European cities and found Prague to be the most beautiful. It has amazing old world charm and character. I'd do Prague, Budapest and Vienna as someone suggested or Prague, Budapest and take a train to explore the Czech countryside (Brno, Cesky Krumlov, the latter being a UNESCO World Heritage site)

whenwe

Reaction score
I think it depends on how old you are. I am relatively young, less than 30, and have traveled extensively through Europe. If a friend asked me this question I'd probably say Paris, Barcelona, Budapest.

Cities like Florence, Vienna, Prague, are beautiful cities, but I would say a lot more geared towards the older crowd. Paris, well is Paris. Barcelona, is a very unique city, and far from what people think of when they think Spain. Plus, you won't party any better outside of Spain, in Europe. Budapest, of course is great for different reasons. It's very "old world" in my opinion. And, with the lack of the euro, a really nice way to end your trip. Food can be had on the cheap, nightlife is great and the people are exciting. Logistically of course it may all be difficult, but there are lots of cheap flights out of BCN to Budapest on Vueling.

Good luck and have fun!

speedfreak

Reaction score
If you end up going to Germany or pass through it, consider renting a car instead of taking the train. Just make sure you rent a decent one and enjoy it on the autobahn. Deutsche Bahn (trains) here is notoriously late and ticket prices are rip-off anyways.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I made my first trip to Europe last summer. We spent 15 days in Italy and saw 5 cities, which was a little hectic (though I think that's probably the better way to go for your first trip...I now have a sense of which cities/places I'd like to return to and will savour them more when I do). My thoughts are also for a first trip you should see at least one of: London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Barcelona.

I'd recommend: For 10 days, I'd recommend Rome and Florence. That gives you 5 days in each city, which is sufficient to see the sights and to take a couple day trips outside (Pompeii/Naples from Rome, Lucca/Pisa/Siena from Florence).

As a side note, I hated Florence but it's hard to avoid if you go to Italy.

mr Dala

Reaction score
It all comes down to the purpose and what time of the year:

Prague is awesome in May, nothing beats having the best beer on a outside serving for 50 pence.
Greece is really nice for some sun if you enjoy a boattrip around the smaller islands
Scandinavia for fish and nature
London/Barcelona for football
Milano and Paris for shopping - if you like to spend money
Toscana, italy if You are a wine and pasta-lover

And like People say Trains are expensive, flights are not..

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My personal preferences for a first trip:

Paris
Florence or Venice
Stresa, Como or Bellagio
Prague

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont know what exactly youre looking for because ihavent read everything but im just ending my euro trip and had the best time in eastern europe. the people are nice, its less touristy, girls qre beautiful, and much cheaper. i would do budapest, krakow, prague, and berlin.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i dont know what exactly youre looking for because ihavent read everything but im just ending my euro trip and had the best time in eastern europe. the people are nice, its less touristy, girls are beautiful, and much cheaper. i would do budapest, krakow, prague, and berlin.

+1000. I am a frequent traveler to Eastern Europe mainly for the above reasons.

I would add Kiev to the above list.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeqh i never got into ukraine. i would add sarajevo and belgrade but the four i first mentioned are all easy to get to in one trip. another option would be dubrovnik, sarajevo, belgrade, etc but for first time i think the first list is better.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A proper SF trip would be to spend the trip close to London and take side trips between the fittings on your bespoke suit
wink.gif
The money you save by staying in a smaller area would (partly) make up for the cost of the suit.

ashpool

Reaction score
I did Barcelona, Paris and London, in that order in about 9 days, I have to say, after seeing Paris, London looked really crappy. I thoroughly enjoyed Barcelona the most. Best nightlife, way cheaper and has the best food.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
I am definitely leaning towards beginning in Paris for x days, and then train to the next 1-2 destinations, ideally flying home from the final city. I actually want to take the train for the experience, and we don't plan on going far enough out that would require exhaustive/time consuming transit...

What would be great is to hear what everyone likes about specific places, to help me get a better feel for them.

I am somewhat focusing on the following but am still very much open to other ideas. Again, we would be spending 3-4 days in 3 locations or 5-6 in 2.

Paris
Brussels
Vienna
Amsterdam
Bern

I think your plan sounds very good for a first time trip. I've been to all on your list except Bern.

1. Paris is a cultural capital and probably the world's most beautiful city. You could easily take a week there and not come close to running out of things to do. I fully endorse your idea for using that as a base. Only problem is the cost, which isn't enormous, but kind of pricey.

2. Brussels is smaller and less grand than Paris, and also a bit poorer. But it is quaint and somewhat cute. The nice thing about Brussels is that it's 90 minutes from Paris by train, so you can make that very easily. Last year my wife and I went to Brussels for a day trip from Paris.

3. Amsterdam is wealthier than Brussels, much cleaner and more northern European (e.g., the culture is more interested in drink than food). Once you're out of the tourist center/red light district, it's quite pretty, the people speak better English than I, it's fairly condensed. It's a longer trip from Paris (more like 6 hours by train) due to the Dutch rail issues. I've always said Amsterdam is what American who haven't been to Europe want: cute, quaint, friendly people, relaxed mores about drugs and sex.

4. Vienna is sort of the historic German capital, so has a lot to see, but is sort of an aloof city in my experience. That being said, plenty to do and see. But, if you're centered in Paris and tight on time, it's hard to get there from your other picks, excluding Bern. I'd encourage you to do something like Munich or Copenhagen as an exit.

None of those four cities is a bad pick and you'd enjoy each of them, though Brussels might be a bit small for more than 2 or 3 days.

Based on your picks, I'd say 5 - 6 days in Paris, 2 in Brussels (or one each in Brussels and Antwerp or Bruges) and 3 in Amsterdam -- i.e., skip Vienna. Don't get too spread out, or else you'll short-change your time in each place.

Another option you haven't explored is Paris as a base and a few overnight trips on their nice rail system: Brussels, Barcelona, Loire Valley. It'd mean less packing and moving around (i.e., ask your hotel to store your big bag for the night and take a small overnight bag), you'd get a better sense of an area and be less of a noob, flight arrangements are easier, etc. This hub-and-spoke method could also be used for other cities if you liked (Zurich, Madrid, Rome, etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads