• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Time Buying good shoes! Please recommend me few shoes to start! $1000 budget

Jvivek

Reaction score
my plan was to buy AE park avenues and buy some Crockett or EG's. but I can't decide on what I should buy first.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want a total of 4 shoes, you are not going to get any new EG's in the mix, unless you catch a Polo sale and even then. You need to decide exactly what shoe styles you want, and if you prefer to have 2 C&J and 1 AE or 1 EG and nothing else or 3-4 AE's and maybe an RMW chelsea etc.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your need?

Do you need "dressy" shoes?
Do you need casual shoes?
Should it be weatherproof/waterproof because you want to frolic in the rain/snow?

We need more information than just "need good shoes!"

Suggestions:
-one pair BLACK captoe (the AE park avenue will fit the bill)
-one pair brown captoe (this will be very versatile pair of shoe, maybe even the park avenue in brown)

Your $1K will only get 4 pairs AE or 2 pair C&J or 1AE + 1 EG.

Jvivek

Reaction score
alright I guess I will do the following:

1 Park Avenue
1 boot
2 other shoes

I want to shoes for casual something that will work with jeans. I also want to buy dress shoes, this is just a start, I could have one dress shoe and buy one casual shoe, also need a boot that will work with jeans.

thanks

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If at all possible, go to a decent shoe store and try on whatever good brands they have in stock. There are scads of black captoes out there. You need something well-made that is actually comfortable on your foot. Whether that's AE or EG or RLPL or C&J or whatever, only experience will tell.

Jvivek

Reaction score
no stores around me that carry anything good, one store carries AE, I will buy the Park avenue from there. thats about it.

Jvivek

Reaction score
I just want some help in this matter:

so far I got this:
Park avenue

for thousand more, I want two shoes, one dress and one casual, I guess I am looking for a shoe that is on everyones list to buy.

thanks

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have to say the Edward Green/RLPL Grant monkstrap. You can wear them both casually and more formally. Look as good with jeans as they do with suits. You can usually get them on sale from Ralph Lauren for around 650 or less. If I could only have one shoe, this is the one. With you remaining 350, I'd get a pair of C&J from Plal.com. Perhaps the Merton Loafer. Very stylish loafer that can again be worn with jeans, or with odd trousers and a sportcoat.

To sum up:
EG/RLPL Grant on sale! in a brown hue (burnt pine, chesnut, or dark oak)
C&J Merton loafer in beechnut

Phoenix

Reaction score
I recently started a shoe collection from scratch and here's what I bought, in what order, for how much, and from where (after lots of research on these forums):

Santoni FAM Shell Cordovan Balmorals, $340 off eBay
Alden Captoe Balmorals in Black, $215 from TeamShoeSeaport.com
Santoni FAM Semibrogue Captoe Balmorals in Brown, $320 off the B&S Forum
RM Williams Forum Special Boots in Black, $300 from Nungar
Santoni Semibrogue Captoe Balmorals in Black, $130 off eBay
RM Williams Craftsman Boots in Whiskey, $200 off the B&S Forum
AE Delray in Chili, $135 off eBay
Loakes Brogue Wingtips in Antiqued Brown off the B&S Forum, ~$100
Frye 8R Harness Boots, ~$100 from Nordstroms
Patent Leather Opera Pumps, $80 from Shoes.com
Jack Purcell OTR shoes in Caramel, $94 from LastPair.com

I also invested in a mix of Ultra and Epic shoe trees from Woodlore, a spiffy shoe shine kit (polish, conditioner, edge dressing, mink oil, etc.), some tingley overshoes, and insoles when warranted.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas . . .

Mr T

Reaction score
Too many unknowns to give a good answer. But be warned that this quickly develops into something larger than intended. It is a sickness...a real shoe fever.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
i have to say the Edward Green/RLPL Grant monkstrap. You can wear them both casually and more formally. Look as good with jeans as they do with suits. You can usually get them on sale from Ralph Lauren for around 650 or less. If I could only have one shoe, this is the one. With you remaining 350, I'd get a pair of C&J from Plal.com. Perhaps the Merton Loafer. Very stylish loafer that can again be worn with jeans, or with odd trousers and a sportcoat.

To sum up:
EG/RLPL Grant on sale! in a brown hue (burnt pine, chesnut, or dark oak)
C&J Merton loafer in beechnut

I like the Grant, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find at all these days, much less on discount. Weren't the EGs exempted from Ralph's last sale?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jvivek
no stores around me that carry anything good, one store carries AE, I will buy the Park avenue from there. thats about it.

1) EGs for $499. Don't be too proud to ask for additional saving.

http://mausandhoffmanonline.com/Merc...learance_shoes

2) Park Aves for $195. Check site for other deals.

http://stores.ebay.com/Allen-Edmonds...dZ2QQpZ5QQtZkm

That leaves $300 for boots and a pair of casual shoes. Check these 2 websites

http://stores.ebay.com/Italian-Leath...8Q2em118QQtZkm

yoox : lots of boots for less than $150

http://www1.yoox.com/searchResult/c/...tskay/3FD17CD7

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jvivek
Where do you live? Is there a Brooks Brothers store anywhere near you? It might be worth traveling to the nearest large city and trying a few shoes on. BTW, for your budget and for what you are looking for, I think C&J offers the best choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads