• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of (quality) dress shoes.+ Clarks Originals Desert Boots

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry If this does not belong here (im new and i can put up with a bit of agro from seasoned members);

I live in Australia and am looking for a black (preferably) or brown/burgundy pair of leather dress shoes. I have owned the usual as you say 'pieces of crap' and am wanting a shoe which will last me.
An everyday shoe which will be complemented on and look elegant with; be it a suit jeans or khakis.

As earlier I said I live in Australia; means I cannot (without long wait and shipping fee) and would rather not (save them for my second pair once i have more experience) buy a pair of AE's (style forums 'go to') shoe.
Because I cannot try them on....which I find very important in a shoe.

I am thinking of getting a pair of Loakes as my friend said they are 'beast.' I'm thinking that's around $300ish price range. I have been reccomended the 1880's (black buckinghams anyone?).

So give me reccomendations on shoes...any as a first (quality) dress shoe; and as I am a complete and utter 'noob': shoe care tips (trees; polish; waterproffing; minimisng creases; taps etc.)

P.S.

Clarks Originals Desert Boots (need answer this week pls)
Having trouble choosing a color for clark's originals here are the 2 im thinking of getting (will be worn with khaki chinos and khakis as well as indigo or usual wash jeans:

1. Dark Brown Suede:http://www.asos.com/au/Clarks-Origi...&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Brownsuede

2. Tan Suede:http://www.asos.com/au/Clarks-Origi...0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Tan&xr=1&mk=VOID&r=3

Reasons why you choose the colour would be appreciated too thanks :)

P.P.S hopefully didn't fail too much in my first post :p

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mingthemerciles

Reaction score
If you live in Melbourne check out 'Beggar Man Thief' in South Melbourne or their store-in-store at Henry Buck's, fantastic shoe store with a great range, they stock Loakes too.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry If this does not belong here (im new and i can put up with a bit of agro from seasoned members);

I live in Australia and am looking for a black (preferably) or brown/burgundy pair of leather dress shoes. I have owned the usual as you say 'pieces of crap' and am wanting a shoe which will last me.
An everyday shoe which will be complemented on and look elegant with; be it a suit jeans or khakis.

As earlier I said I live in Australia; means I cannot (without long wait and shipping fee) and would rather not (save them for my second pair once i have more experience) buy a pair of AE's (style forums 'go to') shoe.
Because I cannot try them on....which I find very important in a shoe.

I am thinking of getting a pair of Loakes as my friend said they are 'beast.' I'm thinking that's around $300ish price range. I have been reccomended the 1880's (black buckinghams anyone?).

So give me reccomendations on shoes...any as a first (quality) dress shoe; and as I am a complete and utter 'noob': shoe care tips (trees; polish; waterproffing; minimisng creases; taps etc.)

P.S.

Clarks Originals Desert Boots (need answer this week pls)
Having trouble choosing a color for clark's originals here are the 2 im thinking of getting (will be worn with khaki chinos and khakis as well as indigo or usual wash jeans:

1. Dark Brown Suede:http://www.asos.com/au/Clarks-Origi...&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Brownsuede

2. Tan Suede:http://www.asos.com/au/Clarks-Origi...0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Tan&xr=1&mk=VOID&r=3

Reasons why you choose the colour would be appreciated too thanks :)

P.P.S hopefully didn't fail too much in my first post :p
I'd go with the tan

Do not order shoes by mail and just buy something locally so you can try it on. Go with a black or brown blutcher. And if something about a shoe just doesn't feel right then just don't buy it. Shoes don't stretch to where they will fit without a problem.
As far as care just just some paste and brush them.
Shoetrees are debateable with some experts saying they're essential and others saying they don't matter but if it makes you feel better then use them.
Personally I think they're not necessary in suede shoes or those Clarks you're buying.

Breedlove

Reaction score
I have Desert Boots in both of those colors and I'll have to admit, while the tan is the much more commonly seen color (and arguably better looking), it's much easier to match the dark brown.
I've worn my dark brown Desert Boots to the ground and it's time to pick up another pair.
shog[1].gif

Edit: FYI: not sure how pricing in Australia goes but if it's anything like the US, they go on sale from time to time. If I recall correctly, I paid around 50 dollars USD per pair.

Last edited:

Breedlove

Reaction score
Why? There's nothing wrong with Loakes.
I think he's just going along with the typical SF response to someone looking to buy their first pair of dress shoes haha.

Honestly though, I'd prefer a nice pair of Loakes to AE calf if they were more readily available in the US.

Oleg

Reaction score
You'll get more useful advice on the long running dedicated Australian thread so try posting your q there. Availability of shoes in Oz sucks heavily so, if you're (understandably) reluctant to go down the mail order route, you'll get better advice on what's actually available. Have to say, in the eight years I lived in Oz, the only shoes I bought there (rather than on trips home to the UK) were a pair of thongs, some RMs and a pair of suede Loakes that the poster Charlie's Wardrobe had ordered from the UK in the wrong size (he lived around the corner from where I worked). The selection was bloody awful and/or very overpriced.
If you're going to go for Loakes, try to avoid the very highly shined ones.

Last edited:

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to order by mail without trying on, absolutely go Meermin (www.meermin.es). Best bang for your buck IMO. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Loakes and those wouldn't make a bad first shoe either

madeinitaly

Reaction score
what about a pair of Crockett&Jones?
the westfield if you like brogue
connaught if you like the without decorations.
the fit of Crockett is superlative.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry haven't been back for so long but thank you very much; and where's the Oz thread. (sorry thinking this is a nubby question)
P.S.
Found shoes (by way of dieworkwear) made by 'Markowsky-Chauseeur' and 'Septieme-Largeur' very cheap and need sizing advice; they seem darn nice
BTW I have tiny feet, yet wide and usually a size 6UK/7US. So are these shoes generally narrow or wide. I am currently looking at the 'Balmoral' dress boots and a pair of suede chukkas. Thanks

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members