• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of Common Projects and Supergas, how comfortable are these?

Reaction score
I'm just looking for a high-quality, nice looking sneaker for weekend night outings with family and friends. I'm looking at CP for this and was wondering how comfortable they were. Are the running versions still available?

I'm also looking for a cool alternative to the Chuck Taylor. Something for short errands and downtime around the house. Are Supergas sneakers a little more comfortable than Chucks?

Of course, I can throw on some beater Nike's and call it a day, but we're here for fashion, aren't we?

Any input is very much appreciated!

--D.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the most comfortable sneakers I've ever owned were emma hope (out of OG Helmut Lang, CP, Dior Homme, KVA, etc). but CPs are definitely more comfortable than chucks, to answer your question. I would recommend the tournaments, high or low: http://www.ssense.com/men/product/co...utm_term=34593 The canvas highs are 160 or so on that site if that's your thing.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they're lined in leather, canvas is just the outer material. and of course you can get tournaments/achilles in leather, too.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
they're lined in leather, canvas is just the outer material. and of course you can get tournaments/achilles in leather, too.

They are actually not lined in leather, but the footbed is considerably more comfortable than Chucks. I had to move away from Chucks because old age was making them too uncomfortable for long walks. I have no such troubles with my Common Projects.

If you really want comfort though, I would go with Pantafola d'oro (the captoe versions can give you issues, so go for the plain toe.) These are considerably more comfortable and more lightweight than Common Projects, though considerably less durable. Same goes with Golden Goose sneakers.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the internets lied? ssense images and description indicate a leather lining, though maybe it isn't a full lining? Forgot about Pantafola, yoox has some good ones for $150 ish. Anyway, these are my most comfortable sneaker, unfortunately the price seems to have risen since I purchased a few years ago: http://www.endless.com/Emma-Hope-Men...showDesigner=1

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
the internets lied? ssense images and description indicate a leather lining, though maybe it isn't a full lining? Forgot about Pantafola, yoox has some good ones for $150 ish.
I have a pair of grey high tournaments on the way from Aloharag, and I own a pair of the black leather ones. The canvas ones seem to have to have no lining (nice for summer) and the black leather ones have some foam padding, no lining. I like CPs because they are very versatile, and they hold up very well. For short trips, I bring an extra pair, and my running shoes, and I'm good. But there are definitely more cushy feeling sneakers. Hope makes really nice Chukkas. And yes, Hope is also an underrated brand.

darkknight

Reaction score
if you zoom in on the ssense pics, it looks like the lining is leather. there're two different versions of those tourneys. previous season was all canvas with canvas lining, and the current ones with a leather trim and leather lining.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my first pair of Supergas and CPs in the last month (both leather versions) and first impressions are the CPs are much more comfy. Size up one in the Supergas (CP achilles 43 = Superga leather 44.)

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having owned a lot.........if you want comfort go for MMM GATs........way better than CPs IMO (comfort wise).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkknight
if you zoom in on the ssense pics, it looks like the lining is leather. there're two different versions of those tourneys. previous season was all canvas with canvas lining, and the current ones with a leather trim and leather lining.

I have a pair of the high grey tournaments coming my way, so I will report back on this.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R_Dorothy Wayneright
Common Projects don't come in half sizes? I usually wear a U.S 11.5... I guess size 11 for me then?
44 should be perfect. (for the achilles, that is. I haven't tried the other models.)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy