• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM suit - advice please.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first MTM suit. I have presented some challenges for my tailor as I have been shifting weight around but I could not wait or plan for what my body will or will not do. I have lost ~3" from my waist since first fitting and my shoulders are bigger than even my second fitting. I believe the right sleeve is short. Please forgive the tie, it sticks like duct tape!

Thank you.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
More or less the jacket looks a size small in the shoulders and slightly small everywhere else. Pants are slightly too long.

It's like you're looking in the mirror huh

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very clever.

It DOES look a little similar to your older posts.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
None of my jackets have ever come even close to such an ill fitment in the shoulders and back. But let's not make this about me and let others chime in and help the guy out.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Hello,

This is my first MTM suit. I have presented some challenges for my tailor as I have been shifting weight around but I could not wait or plan for what my body will or will not do. I have lost ~3" from my waist since first fitting and my shoulders are bigger than even my second fitting. I believe the right sleeve is short. Please forgive the tie, it sticks like duct tape!

Thank you.

If you lost 3" from your waist since your first fitting, I'd hate to see how it would look if you didn't. It's way too small now and would be even worse if you did not lose the weight. Whoever measured you did not do a professional job. Try again.

Twotone

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
More or less the jacket looks a size small in the shoulders and slightly small everywhere else. Pants are slightly too long.

I concur. See how the fabric strains between your shoulder blades... sure sign of being too small (that and the puckering at the shoulders). The break on the trousers is ok although SF standard seems to lean towards only a slight break.

I'd find a new tailor for your next MTM as that jacket cannot be salvaged

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I will take it in and see what he can do. I think we can work something out. I appreciate the feedback. I was VERY surprised when I saw the back in the pictures.
frown.gif

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing you can do. The shoulders are way too tight. Throw in the towel.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More or less the jacket looks a size small in the shoulders and slightly small everywhere else.

But if you posed this over in Street Wear we would all be telling you it needs more waist suppression and and general slimming down.
laugh.gif

With a little tweaking it will be perfectly wearable.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
The whole jacket seems too tight on you. Bunching in the back, in the front, at the shoulders.

Good luck - not sure what type of magic your tailor can work.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants look good, however the right sleeve is too short the jacket is also a tad short. The jacket is too small in the waist and shoulders, to me it looks like your a size too small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads