• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s when you know you’ve reached @GzStudio level of inventory, when something as big as an XL Outfitter Bag escapes your gaze. Congratulations Tinman3! Appreciate the warm welcome back @mgrennier & @CCF1897 ! It’s good to be back. I appreciated the enthusiasm from everyone else towards my 258.

One thing the Facebook (or Meta or whatever they are calling themselves now) doesn’t have is the camaraderie we have here, and they never will attain that. This forum connects people from all over the world and has been the epicenter for all things Heritage. We may be in partial hibernation now, but like this forum has proven, there will be a resurgence. I’m proud to be a part of it, as I know you are all as well.
This feels like a small town. Facebook feels like a big city.

Both have their charms and their place.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This feels like a small town. Facebook feels like a big city.

Both have their charms and their place.

Im a country boy at heart so I’ll always prefer a small town, but like a big city, they are always nice to visit, if you catch my drift. I’m not discounting Facebook (too much), any discussion about Filson is good with me. More talk just means that Filson is listening, and I wouldn’t doubt they have their own mole lurking around listening and reporting back. Although probably not as cool as our own @Stratkat … you know it’s out of love my friend, hey dude what’s up! :fonz:

Last edited:

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Been awhile I know. Figured this post would be worth the wait. Hope everyone is doing well and that the Filson Santa visited all of your trees last month. I have a couple of Filson item drops this month and some really really cool heritage gear coming my way...excited to share with ya'll.

So as some you you might recall, I have been searching high and low for a Range Bag for my Dan Wesson 1911, and not just any range bag but an Otter Green Filson No.258. I knew I wanted something older from the Talon Era and still in decent shape; although I was a bit hesitant exposing something so rare to flying hot brass and the smells associated with ranges. I ended up disbanding my Talon Era quest after not finding much after about 6 months of searching, at least anything affordable ($300 or under). I soon set my sights on the YKK Era and found something beautiful on eBay that didn't break the bank and was wonderfully preserved. The seller took my best offer and the excitement started building. That was until I refreshed my search parameters and an even better No.258 came up...literally minutes after purchasing. Don't you just hate when that happens, like really, been searching for 8 months at that time and suddenly I am inundated with options. Luckily I was able to cancel the sale and here it is!!!

View attachment 1874806

August 2002 Build Date, which means it is a true first edition YKK Era, and for about $300 less than the latest version currently for sale on the website. Not like that is tough to do, Filson is absolutely bonkers with their price increases.

View attachment 1874810

No sueded leather I am afraid :( but a lustrous chestnut like appearance

View attachment 1874808

Shoulder strap must've been from another Filson bag, because it was pretty warn down. So I ended up using the neglected strap from my No.264. Notice the "MS" hand stamping that I got while visiting the NYC Flagship store in 2019 (along with @mgrennier and @Davey13 )

View attachment 1874807

Both inside and out, this is in outstanding preserved condition and very befitting of the look I usually go for. The main compartment still has all three dividers and fits everything almost perfectly (still working out the kinks in my loadout)

View attachment 1874809

Wowsers, well done on finding such a beauty! The chase sure can be thrilling some times..! 🤩

GzStudio

Reaction score
That’s when you know you’ve reached @GzStudio level of inventory, when something as big as an XL Outfitter Bag escapes your gaze. Congratulations Tinman3! Appreciate the warm welcome back @mgrennier & @CCF1897 ! It’s good to be back. I appreciated the enthusiasm from everyone else towards my 258.

One thing the Facebook (or Meta or whatever they are calling themselves now) doesn’t have is the camaraderie we have here, and they never will attain that. This forum connects people from all over the world and has been the epicenter for all things Heritage. We may be in partial hibernation now, but like this forum has proven, there will be a resurgence. I’m proud to be a part of it, as I know you are all as well.

Unfortunately, my inventory is only like 20-30 bags that I have had just sitting in boxes since I moved houses last year. Haven't had much time or desire to get them up on ebay....I will get back here repeatedly eventually.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my inventory is only like 20-30 bags that I have had just sitting in boxes since I moved houses last year. Haven't had much time or desire to get them up on ebay....I will get back here repeatedly eventually.
I never thought I’d have more bags than @GzStudio but here we are. 🤣

In reality I’m in a similar situation. I’m on posting stuff on eBay as it comes in and I have a ton of bags and clothes that are just sitting in containers. Admittedly not where they belong!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d do a load out post of the No.258. It’s a work in progress and the weight is a little concerning to me with the load bearing D-Ring leather. Although a lot of the weight is centered around the 50 round (x2) boxes of 45 ACP Ball ammo; once it’s loaded in the magazines I think the weight will be dispersed better.

94572C8D-8189-4A7B-B0FA-63C4F3D552B6.jpeg

No IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) is complete without your blood type patch :lol: ……..

B98FE286-70B9-4899-83E7-B5D06F42DBB6.jpeg

……And also a tourniquet.

0A37FECC-0483-4F3C-B5AE-A74BF89DE885.jpeg

The main compartment is more spacious then I remembered. As some might recall, a tan 70258 was my very first Filson bag. I traded it for an Otter Green 24HR. The birth of OtterMeanGreen.

F2337CB5-F9FB-4C3D-BD57-7C3E8AA00E2F.jpeg

I’m gonna toy with the front pouch to where it’s more grab and go, so many useful pockets and sleeves.

8CDDC8D5-E6E9-4620-A883-C7543E3C3E04.jpeg

The IFAK doesn’t exactly fit the way I want it to in the open middle pocket and I’m not really satisfied I can’t snap the storm flap closed.

87A0EDA7-A336-492A-8395-5D83D8A98268.jpeg

Last edited:

TheJonaz

Reaction score
Otter Mean Green is back in the house! This forum has taken on a much slower pace the past year or so. I think the advent of the Facebook user groups has had a pretty overwhelming effect on the activity here.

Or maybe it's me.

I have a bunch of bags that I need to sell. Anyone looking for anything in particular?

256 in tan with Filson factory snap handle ?
Trying my luck here :)

Reaction score
I have a bunch of bags that I need to sell. Anyone looking for anything in particular?

Hi mgrennier. Yes, I am interested. Have PM’d you. I am keen to get one or two things to add to my small collection. I am after Talon or YKK era small field, zippered tote, 256 (otter green to differentiate it from my wife’s tan one), 257, small or medium duffle, or large Pullman. In general, tan or otter green are the colours I prefer.

A lot on the wish list but just putting it out there!

Thanks.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a tan 256 that I've had for a while. I flip back and forth between my 257 and 256. Probably should sell one. Think it's most likely to sell the 256. LMK If interested.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just reminiscing this forum as I took pictures of some of my Talon bags to show to another member. I was reminded while I took them why I love these bags. The new ones are awesome and will last just as long, but there is something incredible about the Talon era bags. I don’t know if it’s the leather or the stiffness of the twill, but damn, they are really something special. I miss our heated debates on the thickness of the twill and the durability of the leather or whether the hardware was solid brass or not (I still win that one @OtterMeanGreen 🤷‍♂️). Anyways, here’s a few of my Talons for your viewing pleasure.

EC30600B-673F-42D4-94EB-C0404352B826.jpeg

1918AF88-49B3-45DF-8942-C2EB15280A02.jpeg

A8469223-109D-4C07-AFCC-2D23AF236CC1.jpeg

Last edited:

Bespoke49er

Reaction score
Hello all. There is alot of great information on this thread. I am active military and I have been looking for a 239 XL for some gear. I was wondering if anyone had any leads? Thank you in advance for your support.
2x Filson XL Outfitter #239s recently listed on eBay. Not a price I would pay. More than double what I spent for a 239 in OG less than 18-months ago.

Reaction score
I never thought I’d be into bags… But here I am, mind spinning like a slot machine at the Talon triptych above.

Since my wife claimed my 256, I’m left with this 232 which currently goes everywhere; a navy Ranger backpack that I love but is a bit big for everyday, and two cheaper backpacks I don’t even know the model name of which are a much lighter rugged twill with only a main section and a zippered front pocket. Those don’t really do much for me, but are still a better minimalist backpack than I see anywhere else.

Attachments

• D6044268-CD08-43B1-B473-C6DD4E9EA149.jpeg
    D6044268-CD08-43B1-B473-C6DD4E9EA149.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 35

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never thought I’d be into bags… But here I am, mind spinning like a slot machine at the Talon triptych above.

Since my wife claimed my 256, I’m left with this 232 which currently goes everywhere; a navy Ranger backpack that I love but is a bit big for everyday, and two cheaper backpacks I don’t even know the model name of which are a much lighter rugged twill with only a main section and a zippered front pocket. Those don’t really do much for me, but are still a better minimalist backpack than I see anywhere else.
For some reason, I can just not get into carrying the 232 Field Bag. I have one - and should sell it, because I NEVER use it. Probably because wherever I go, I take my laptop and it's a super tight fit. I feel it's too much overlap between that and the 256/257 (for me).

Why can't I love this 232 field bag?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2x Filson XL Outfitter #239s recently listed on eBay. Not a price I would pay. More than double what I spent for a 239 in OG less than 18-months ago.

Those are my listings. I agree the asking price is high on them, but the bags are quite rare and with the current price on the new rucksack being $600, it’s probably not totally crazy. Anyways, if you’re still looking I hope you find one for a price that’s more your speed!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsleyJaron