• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feeling lost. Do I suck at dressing? Here's a pic for example:

Reaction score
I thought I had decent taste but when I posted this pic on another forum I was ridiculed.
cry.gif

Other combinations I fancy are a paisley tie on a grid shirt, and a grid tie on a pinstripe shirt. 99% of the time I am wearing a white coat.

Please excuse the tie knot...

What are your thoughts?

facet

Reaction score
Can't speak to the other combos unless I saw them; but I would agree that the one you've pictured is perfectly fine and is a very nice combo.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt and tie are fine but the creature on the right lapel of what I assume to be a lab coat is out of place. can't however see the trousers or shoes.

Garasaki

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with what you've posted, although your tie knot does really suck.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about ridicule, but was there any constructive feedback to garner from your other forum experience?

Reaction score
Get some constructive opinions from here on SF and find a good salesperson in a decent men's store. A good salesman would not steer you in the wrong direction because they will see you as a future client with lots of disposable income and besides, it's their reputation if they dress you like a clown.

That's a good idea. A few years back I went to a nice menswear store but my taste at the time was very simple (e.g. I only wore solid shirts, and I thought paisley was ugly). I'm sure I got some good advice then but ignored it.

Can't speak to the other combos unless I saw them; but I would agree that the one you've pictured is perfectly fine and is a very nice combo.

Thank you, that means a lot. I will try to post others as I wear them.

The shirt and tie are fine but the creature on the right lapel of what I assume to be a lab coat is out of place. can't however see the trousers or shoes.

Sorry about that, I have a unique lapel pin on so I covered it up with a random picture for privacy's sake. I will post a pic tomorrow of the bottom half.

I don't see anything wrong with what you've posted, although your tie knot does really suck.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about ridicule, but was there any constructive feedback to garner from your other forum experience?

Not really, although one guy recommended a plaid tie and posted a nice picture of one. That got me thinking.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just from the shirt and tie I conclude that you are better dressed than 70% of the MDs
I encounter in the San Francisco Bay Area. Where in the Midwest are you? That can
help SF members recommend places to shop.

jedwards

Reaction score
You are doing one of society's most important jobs and look professional and smart as far as the pic shows anyway.
Do doctors, in their professional capacity at least, need to be the most stylish, head turn worthy, clothes horses in any case? And indeed, I'd probably be worried if I did encounter one who looked like he'd stepped out of The Rake magazine. (or GQ if you're not familiar). It suggests he might be worried about getting his hand tailored suits dirty while sewing my arm back on or whatever.

Just be smart enough so people know you are a guy who respects himself and therefore, should be respected. That's it.

I really wouldn't spend any time worrying about this stuff, your outfit looks fine.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that you look like a standard doctor. You could stand to change the tie and tighten up the knot, but that's really it. Jedwards said it well that doctors should be dressed intelligently and appropriately.

lordjeebus

Reaction score
It looks completely appropriate. The fact that you are wearing a tie puts you in the upper tier of physicians these days. Blue shirts work best with white coats and that's what I wear in clinic 95% of the time (occasionally lavender or pink).

lordjeebus, MD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads