• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite pizza

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
The best pizza i had was probably Lombardis in new york. In gainesville, this little hole in the wall where you can only order from the street, Italian Gator, makes really great pizza. Not like the awesome **** you guys are getting in italy with the really great sauce, light on the fresh cheese, and good crust, but Italian gator is about as good as i've had for americanized pizza.
How can you talk about pizza in Gainesville and not mention Satchel's? In a class of its own, IMO. Make mine half roasted red peppers and ricotta, half fresh basil and tomatoes.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I tried Nicky D's in Silver Lake the other day..........not good.
Wow....what kind did you get? Really, first person here or among people I've recommended it to that's ever had anything less than a stellar response.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I tried Nicky D's in Silver Lake the other day..........not good.

commie.

Just got back from Nicky Ds and was reminded how good it is
bounce2.gif

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Faded 501s, I take it back. Here's DeLorenzo's, from last Saturday night. Tomato pie perfection; some would say the best pizza in the US. I'm in no position to disagree.

Oh my God, that looks delicious.

I thought this thread would implode after someone mentioned Una Pizza. Nothing else matters.
tounge.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
commie.

Just got back from Nicky Ds and was reminded how good it is
bounce2.gif

Testify Part II. I baked some deep dish tonight using the Zachary's method of crust, toppings, cheese, and top it all with chunky diced tomates. Amazing stuff. Too bad people down here don't know pizza.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
How can you talk about pizza in Gainesville and not mention Satchel's? In a class of its own, IMO. Make mine half roasted red peppers and ricotta, half fresh basil and tomatoes.
I agree, satchels is awesome. But it's pretty expensive, farther away and more crowded so i don't get a chance to eat it as much. Leo's at Milhopper is good for deep dish. Italian Gator is basically the closest thing in florida i've had to real new york pizza. Leo's by the slice and that place downtown is garbage. I can't stand that mediocre ingredient, overly greasy, and soggy slices. Plus it's cheap(i used to eat there a lot freshman year when i lived across from it and it was cheaper). The last satchels pizza i had was a white pizza with fresh garlic, chicken, and 2 other ingredients i can't think of. So good. I can't wait to have Lombardi's pizza again when i go back to new york. That sauce is so good.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best non-home-made pizza I've ever had in Australia is at the pizza caffe at my local uni - thin base, with simple, fresh ingredients that combine beautifully, roasted in a wood-fired brick oven.

The best pizza I've ever had, bar none, was made by the nonna (grandmother) of a friend of mine, of Russian-Italian heritage. Her eggplant pizza was to die for. She used a thin base, spread with basil pesto, then layered with thin slices of eggplant that had been lightly basted with olive oil. Slivers of garlic were then sprinkled over the eggplant, followed by some slices of roasted bell peppers and air-cured parma ham. After the pizza had come out of the oven, she would sometimes then pare a few slivers of parmesan over it.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
I've tried to replicate her pizza many times, but it's just not the same...

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had sausage and bacon. I'm not sure how to describe what I didn't like about it. I didn't hate any part of it, I've just had much better pizza elsewhere.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I had sausage and bacon. I'm not sure how to describe what I didn't like about it. I didn't hate any part of it, I've just had much better pizza elsewhere.
In LA?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LETS DO THIS:

Frozen prepackaged garlic naan from Indian grocery. On the ingredients list, there are no preservatives. I trust them.
DSC04390.JPG

Mozarella slices from Mexi-grocery. Oaxaca style cheese (slightly drier, which i found browns better)
DSC04391.JPG

Basil from my piddling herb garden. Also I'm throwing in some rosemary today, just to see how it turns out.
DSC04392.JPG

Sauce on the naan.
DSC04394.JPG

Cheese on the cold pizza. ready to go in the oven.
DSC04395.JPG

About 5-8 minutes at 450, then in the broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown it HARD. I put the basil on after it comes out. I like it when it wilts just a little from the heat. I drizzled some olive oil on it today, but that's not necessary.
pizza.JPG

aarghh

Reaction score
I do much the same with lavash - pear, arugula, bacon, and Stilton. Not classic, but makes a wonderful summer meal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads