• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite live jazz album

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many I like:

Abdullah Ibrahim(? - Dollar Brand) - Live at Sweet Basil
Bill Evans - VV
the (relatively) new Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall disc
Errol Garner - concert by the sea(?)
Les McCann/Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement
Miles = Live @ the Plugged Nickel

there's a Billie Holliday album (not sure of name - Billie's Blues?) recorded live somewhere in Germany and Leonard Feather introduces her in his best high school german

that all-star concert @ Massey hall (bird, dizzy, mingus, roach, powell)

it's all good....
rimshot.gif

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

His final Village Vanguard concert is on disc, titled "Turn Out the Stars." It's equally moving.

gallery_5220_130_12158.jpg

Bill Evans sounds as good as ever here.

Has anyone mentioned the Brad Mehldau albums?

Reaction score
Louis Armstrong's Singin' & Playin'

When it comes down to it, this is probably my desert island disc. I can't think of another album that I have liked for this long without having tired of it.

Patty Waters' College Tour album is mindblowing but is certainly not for everyone.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot about this one---Jaco's birthday concert has an all-star cast and Jaco near the peak of his powers.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In no particular order, off the top of my head:

Thelonious Monk - in San Francisco; the Monk-Coltrane Carnegie Hall Concert ('56-7?)
Lennie Tristano - Live at Birdland '49 (I think this was one of the first concerts there!)
Ellington at Newport '56
Bill Evans - Complete Village Vanguard '61
Wes Montgomery - Half Note, Full House
Keith Jarrett - Koeln Concert, although Jarrett said his best ever was the Vienna '91 concert.
Miles Davis - Live Evil, Plugged Nickel, Filmore East, Cellar Door
Coltrane - Village Vanguard '61
Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespe, Charles Mingus, Max Roach and Bud Powell - The Quintet - Jazz at Massey Hall '53

I've heard amazing live performances by Nina Simone, but don't know of an actual album to point to.

Anything you can find of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band; they are seriously awesome live!

itskub

Reaction score
for all of you cats and audiophiles... i LOVE recordings that sounds live (whether its live or not), the way the sax or trumpet has a bright tone and the reverb makes it sound like it's right next to your ear.
anyone know what im talking about? if so, i'd love to know some.

I can't come up with any specific examples except for...
Coltrane's "Im Old Fashioned" (very close to what I'm looking for)
Wes Montgomery- Round Midnight (album: The Message) , the sax in that song.
and there's some on Blue Note Plays Ray Charles

andyw

Reaction score
Wow, there's definitely too much music to keep it to one album. I perused my music and came up with these. I'll be up late sampling.

Gil Evans & the Monday Night Orchestra - Live At Sweet basil - Vol. I
Wes Montgomery - Smokin' At the Half Note
Jaco Pastorius - The Birthday Concert
Jaco Pastorius - Invitation
Charlie Mingus - Charles Mingus & Friends In Concert
Mingus Big Band - Live At The Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt Paris Vol. I
Pat Martino - Live at Yoshi's
Dr. John - Live at Montreux 1995
Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby
Barney Kessel - Swingin' Party at Contemporary
Gil Scott-Heron - Tour de Force
Shirley Horn - I Love You Paris
Irene Kral - Live
Jackie & Roy - Sondheim

.....and these Brazilian singers have influenced jazz

Joyce - Live at the Mojo Club
Joao Gilberto - Live In Montreux
Elis - Elis Regina in London

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
Wes Montgomery - Smokin' At the Half Note

Oh F-me, how could I have forgotten this one?! I think only the first two tracks are live though, but alone, they are worth the price of admission..."If You Could See Me Now" is probably the best recording of that tune, and possibly the best guitar solo in jazz history, period.

YMMV, obvi.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Albert Ayler - In Greenwich Village
Miles - @ the Plugged Nickel
Trane - @ the Village Vanguard
Monk and Trane - @ Carnegie Hall
Peter Brotzmann - **** De Boere (Dedicated to Johnny Dyani)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up the "40 Years of the Monterey Jazz Festival" 3-disc set today. Great stuff. The audio quality is superb.

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
What's Art Blakey's best live disc?

I'd say Blakey with the Jazz Messenger's from the early 60's with Wayne Shorter and Lee Morgan in the band. While not in my collection, he recorded Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. II with this group. This is the group that recoreded tunes such as Mosaic, Lester Left Town, Mosaic, etc. etc.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
A few I would recommend, for various reasons, and some might not consider it all "jazz"....

Trio of Doom...John Mclaughlin, Jaco Pastorius, Tony Williams ...1979 Havana Jam festival

Bill Frisell... east/west live at Yoshi's 2004 /live at The Village Vanguard 2003.

Friday Night in San Francisco... Di Meola, McLaughlin, De Lucia 1980

Hancock, Brecker, Hargrove, Directions in Music Live at Massey Mall 2001. Celebrating Miles Davis & John Coltrane.

The Quintet..."Charlie Chan" (Parker), Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Max Roach, Charlie Mingus. Live at Massey Hall 1953. The stories surrounding this concert are as interesting as the concert itself. And be sure to get the 20bit K2 re-master version.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
I'd say Blakey with the Jazz Messenger's from the early 60's with Wayne Shorter and Lee Morgan in the band. While not in my collection, he recorded Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. II with this group. This is the group that recoreded tunes such as Mosaic, Lester Left Town, Mosaic, etc. etc.
That's my favorite iteration of the Messengers so I'll get something from that era. Thanks a bunch.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IuliaBartcovschi