• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EXTREMELY ADVANCED: official oversized/next level clothing thread

death shot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as dramatic as most here, but my favorite pieces are the Ervell drop shoulder jackets. Oversized but cropped, with large armpit holes and tapered sleeves. Oversized flap on the back, thick nylon.

2-0004023-6948.jpg
Unknown.jpg Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 11.22.01 AM.jpg ECOM_0902_1024x1024.jpg

the kidcrash

Reaction score

the kidcrash

Reaction score
Sure here's their gram: https://www.instagram.com/atha_osaka/

check tagged pics for their stockists and to see how ppl style it. it's a pretty young brand and a little on the pricier side but the clothes/quality are excellent and the outerwear is a standout as youd expect

148051447_o28.jpg

148051447_o47.jpg

151703534_o23.jpg

147655747_o6.jpg

Ovie Studio should just be the go-to store for this thread

the kidcrash

Reaction score
@the kidcrash what about toogood makes you think their quality has dropped?

Forgive the especially long answer, I've been thinking about it for a while.

I've been keeping an eye on Toogood since 2017, bought/handled lots of their goods over the seasons -- I'd say I know about as much as anyone could know about them. They started strong and made really beautiful things (and some just OK things) every year until FW19. That season, they began making much of the collection in Portugal rather than London, except some outerwear, which has continued up to now

You can of course make nice things in Portugal (lots of brands do) but you can also cheap out; Toogood have opted for the latter. I've directly compared a pieces between old/new seasons (specific pieces of outerwear, various shirts, the Baker and Tinker pants and more), the difference is immediately obvious. Everything since FW19 uses cheaper fabrics, mediocre finishing/stitching and new (worse) cuts.

Their storytelling completely disappeared. For instance, they used to create original imagery and even commission a bespoke poem each season. Sure, a little theatrical, but with artisanal clothing you're paying for the 'vision' as much as the fancy clothes. They still do decent lookbooks but the clothing is just ok now. It's fine on sale, I guess, but the reasons I got excited about the brand -- the rich detailing, custom-milled textiles, hand-finished accents, the crazy nice buttons(!) -- just aren't there. Plus a lot of it just doesn't fit well or looks generic.

Couple more examples: I've owned Baker pants from SS18, FW18 and SS20, one of the pant styles I compared side-by-side. Basically, the first two Baker pants were excellent (here's a similar SS18 pair for comparison): even stitching, custom-dyed calico cotton, thick drawcords, hand-stitched hem turn-ups and so on. By comparison, the SS20 pair was clearly inferior (hard to tell from pics alone but if you had in hand it'd be obvious enough): sloppy stitches, insubstantial calico, flimsy drawstrings, terrible machine-finished hem turn-ups. I actually tried a few different SS20 Bakers to see if I just got one bad pair. Answer? They were all pretty awful.

One last comparison: a FW18 Carpenter jacket tag vs. SS20 Baker tag, just for fun.

Toogood has also begun stocking with huge stores like SSENSE and Matchesfashion and opened a web store, which I guess demands a substantial stock, and their collections have ballooned since. I believe this played a major role in the decline; When you have to fill orders for the big stores alongside a slew of global stockists, you're putting a crunch on your bottom line and something's gonna have to give.

I have some other issues with Toogood but they can wait. Really, what it comes down to is this: as a thoughtful, high-end independent brand, you can either keep stockists tight to ensure quality output (Evan Kinori, John Alexander Skelton) or drop quality for greater quantity and margins, like Toogood. Which is really sad, because they have the deep pockets necessary to slow down and readjust to again focus on craft... but so it goes.

Short answer: I've handled a lot of their clothing over the past three years and there's been a very obvious drop-off in quality most likely due to expanding stockists and a desire to bolster margins.

back on track, a couple big looks from Yoko Sakamoto
4c5033_ed2defb0c2d842f7a6bd800f7bfd3263~mv2_d_4167_6250_s_4_2.webp

4c5033_1f8a85df77f64adf8c4c58fa7716ce19~mv2_d_4167_6250_s_4_2.webp

4c5033_fae971abfb0e43e4ad8fa05c5c4faabd~mv2_d_4167_6250_s_4_2.webp

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads