• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Explorations of Questionable Taste: The Pink Sportcoat Thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_4986.png
IMG_4987.png

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dugdale has a pink Mock Leno in their TropicalAir book:

_dv_2018_05_29_09_57_16_37726_images.jpg

From a suiting standpoint

dv_2020_08_12_11_07_22_9504.jpg

dv_2020_08_12_11_07_24_70576.jpg

This is in the Needle Ready book, and is one of their "Sunburst" two faced, thus the different tones. 98/2 wool cashmere, 9oz.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dormeuil:

Great - these muppets don't allow you to link to the .jpg. This is a promising 55/45% wool/silk 240G blend

This seems a bit too monotone, not enough surface interest, too suity.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a cry for help? What does the guy who needs nothing thinks he needs: A dusty rose or perhaps pink sportcoat.

This started off a year or so ago when I attempted to buy a length of a vintage VBC fabric from Il Vecchio Drappiere - think dusty rose with a white windowpane. Then, a day or two later, email: sorry, out of stock.

This thread is going to capture my inner dialogue as I go through various mills+merchants online offerings. I am not really looking for RTW as I tend to doubt there is much on offer in a cut that isn't as questionable in taste as the color may be.
How do you plan on wearing the jacket and what do you hope to achieve?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you plan on wearing the jacket and what do you hope to achieve?

I have a brick red with a shy-of-navy overcheck Sartoria Cantarelli sport coat from NMWA that might be getting close to 8 years old. It is holding up super well (the 39 months of the Year of Covid WFH paused the # of wears). So, I am somewhat thinking about what is destined to replace it. Even if I were to snap my figures and secure a length of fabric this week, I am not sure when exactly I'd have it made up.

I mainly wear the Cantarelli with light to mid grey linen or wool/silk trousers. Once or twice with jeans, but I don't wear much denim during daylight hours from June through August as Boston probably has 85% the humidity you are used to in DC.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Cantarelli, but I don't think I need to necessarily replace it like for like.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers had a neat pink linen suit from The Great Gatsby. I keyed in on it instantly but couldn't think of any real occasions to wear it. No one ever invites me to weddings in the Hamptons.

1688846012368.png

1688846035478.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads