• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
More Ostrich!

For any of you who dont follow our Instagram feed, this is a custom travel case commisioned by a good customer for travel documents etc. It has a goatskin lining and interior and full Brandy Ostrich exterior. Here are a few work in progress and completed photos

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Nice! But when can we get ostrich and gator belts? :D

It distresses me that alligators and ostriches are inconsiderate enough not to grow big enough we can make belts without splices! Its on the list even in the absence of unusually long animals, there are never enough hours in the day to get all the design work we want done as quickly as I'd like (Timascus Stratfields!!). As ever watch this space..

Charlie

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Based on your experience how does goatskin age compared to other leathers? I've read different opinions on this.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Based on your experience how does goatskin age compared to other leathers? I've read different opinions on this.

Very well indeed, but its 100% dependant on the quality and processing of the leather. Cheap third world pigmented chrome tanned goat will age dreadfully, great aniline veg tanned (or chrome to be fair to it) will age amazingly. Even with the leathers from the greatest tanneries there will be variations because there are variations in the skins. Its impossible to give a less general answer without knowing the specifics of the skin, just like cow, calf or any other leathers theres a huge amount of rubbish out there, but weight for weight its one of the strongest leathers, which is why its used for things that need thinness and strength like linings and wallet inners. You can thin goat to a degree that renders calf useless without a problem. Its rather like pigskin, but has a nicer grain and less cultural baggage.

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

acinod

Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a solid black dress belt for work, and probably a burgundy one as well while I'm at it.

Currently tossing up between Herring's Kensington Belt and Equus' West End Leather Belt.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...catid=147&oldcolid=4046&stype=0&colourid=4045
http://www.equusleather.co.uk/west-end-bridle-leather-belt.html

Does anyone have experience with these and can give me some advice?

With Equus, you can choose everything, from shade/type of leather, color of thread, exact size, # of holes (and their spacing), etc. If you like this type of customization, Equus is the best choice. You'll have to wait a bit but seeing how the two you listed are priced similarly, the Equus is a no brainer IMO. I'll likely never buy another makers belt, especially not one that's off the shelf and about the same price as Charlie's handcrafted work.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm looking for a solid black dress belt for work, and probably a burgundy one as well while I'm at it.

Currently tossing up between Herring's Kensington Belt and Equus' West End Leather Belt.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...catid=147&oldcolid=4046&stype=0&colourid=4045
http://www.equusleather.co.uk/west-end-bridle-leather-belt.html

Does anyone have experience with these and can give me some advice?

Thanks guys, that has hopefully helped answer the question. @acinod - if I can be any help just drop me a line :)

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads