• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

NoCleverName

Reaction score
Just ordered two more belts. One black one in bridle leather and one russet bakers, both with brass buckles. I'm very excited for both.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're great belts. The Bakers leather is substantially softer than the bridle leather. I'm eyeing the Bakers leather Scott, though it'll be awhile before I'll need another one. There just seems to be a lot of care put into each belt.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

They're great belts. The Bakers leather is substantially softer than the bridle leather. I'm eyeing the Bakers leather Scott, though it'll be awhile before I'll need another one. There just seems to be a lot of care put into each belt.

Thank you, I'm really glad you like them. Each belt is special as is each customer and we make each one with that in mind. Hopefully the end result is things people love and derive pleasure from owning - certainly thats what I intend when I'm designing or making.

One small note - both the Bakers and Sedgwick leather is bridle leather - the Bakers tanning process is different (oak bark tanning, much slower - at least a year in pits of water from the river Coly and oak bark from the Lake District) and produces much more flexible leather as a result. I suspect our rather random segregation of products on the website causes confusion!

As another aside, I'm trying to be good and keep our blog updated with things that at least I and I hope others into the detail of how things are made might be interested in..

Charlie

Last edited:

bullswin

Reaction score
Just received my first order: dark havanna, nickel west end (satin finish), 1.25" width. The belt is impressive. And being able to choose a specific hole distance (I chose 3/4 inches apart) is really great. Thanks Dawn & Charlie!
photo-143-1.jpg
photo-144-1.jpg
photo-145-1.jpg

Last edited:

Clark

Reaction score
I received my second Equus belt some days ago, a Baker in Oak Brown with Brass West End buckle. Absolutely beautiful belt in a lovely colour. Highly recommended!

/C

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I received my second Equus belt some days ago, a Baker in Oak Brown with Brass West End buckle. Absolutely beautiful belt in a lovely colour. Highly recommended!
/C

Really glad you like the Oak Brown - I absolutely love it so am always pleased to hear others agree. Its really a rather special leather.

For those who haven't seen it there are a couple of pictures below. Its a great colour and its grain pattern is lovely.

The belt is here

Charlie

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

A quick picture of a watch strap just finished for a customer. This is a Red 22mm bridle leather strap with white stitching, dark red edges and a polished ARD buckle. Quite a bold combination and I thought I'd post it as a lot of our output is more conservative, so one for the extroverts!

The second photo is one of our Oak Brown straps on a Rolex Explorer II (I think). The colours are a little odd but I always think its interesting for people to be able to see action photos customers have taken themselves rather than the more formal pictures we tend to take..

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought I'd post our regular reminder that we have a permanent 10% discount coupon for Style Forum members and that non Europeans (lucky things) don't have to pay VAT. To get your discount use the coupon StyleForum10% when you checkout and 10% will be deducted from all the goods in your cart regardless of the amount. As soon as the website knows your outside the EU, i.e. you have registered and logged in the VAT will be deducted as well. I'm always here to help if you have any problems!

Some photos of our recent top sellers, all the recent photos seem to have been watch straps so we should redress the balance a little!

The Scott - a belt for all seasons and one of our biggest sellers. I own belts no 1 and 2 made and wear one or other everyday and love them. This is heavy weight 5mm leather in a mid to dark brown

The Oak Brown - great character and coloration for lighter coloured summer outfits! The is hand coloured oak bark tanned bridle leather and has a great grain pattern and colour variegation

Both belts actually have a strong StyleForum provenance - these are oak bark tanned leathers from Bakers of Colyton who we started working with way back when to make a SF limited edition belt. We send FOC samples of leather all over the world so if you want to see these leathers in person or any of the others we work with just let me know.

Charlie

jimney

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it while searching the thread, but I don't think I've seen a picture of an aged London Tan belt. My understanding is that it will develop a patina with age. Are there any pictures of a London Tan belt after a year or two? I'd like to get an idea of what it will end up looking like.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Maybe I missed it while searching the thread, but I don't think I've seen a picture of an aged London Tan belt.  My understanding is that it will develop a patina with age.  Are there any pictures of a London Tan belt after a year or two?  I'd like to get an idea of what it will end up looking like.

Hi Jimney

I haven't any really old London Tan here to photograph I don't think but I'll take a look and see what I can find to photograph. Maybe someone else will be able to post a photo as well, we do sell quite a lot of London Tan. In the meantime a description might help - London Tan will eventually age to a warm light to mid brown but will take a long time to get there if not exposed to the elements. In a belt it'll spend a lot of time being a really pleasing warmer darker version of London Tan along the away before it gets to it light brown stage.

London Tan is a really interesting colour - its centuries old. It was used extensively in Edwardian and Victorian England and a lot of the leather goods you see from that time started of as London Tan . Its always been prized for the way it ages, its a very graceful process.

Photos later if I can find anything interesting to photograph!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

just found this thread and im in awe of some of the creations here. I definitely need a green and a blue belt so will see an order in the near future!

Hi Justin,

Glad you like them :) Let me know if I can be any help

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads