• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks Charlie - I'm pretty sold on nickel at this point. For business casual, should I go with the shiny or the satin finish you think?
Also, that picture you posted above with the two buckles - is that the nickel version?

If these are nickel, I'm having a hard time deciding. I generally prefer less flashy, but the satin finish on the left here looks a little too bland to me. Since you can see them in person, which do you think looks best for biz casual?

Hi Zero,

Those are the nickel buckles. The satin is quite hard to photograph and I think looks a bit more special than the photo above represents. I like the satin personally, its quite a different look and is more contemporary/casual than a high polish is. Nickel is very lustrous so when its highly polished it is highly polished, much more so than something like stainless steel so perfect if you want a really high polish, but the satin is good for lower key or more casual looks maybe.

HTH!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A few photos of a watch strap commission for a member here. The holes will be punched when they have it fitted to the watch so they get the perfect fit. The racing holes are a modification of the design one normally sees with a lining of Bakers Australian Nut, I really like the contrast in colour and texture it gives. The strap is made from the lighter weight Sedgwick leather that our mid weight Lined and Raised uses. I hope this is the start of a new range for us - they are fun if very fiddly to work with!

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Was pretty psyched until I read this. Any plans on getting wider (1 1/2") quick release buckles? In nickel?

Hi Tahonng,

I'd love to, but sadly we can't get the buckle in 1 1/2" in any metal I'm afraid. The 1 1/4" is available in Pewter, but not Nickel. Theres only 1 quality UK source for the buckles so we can only make what we can get from them - very frustrating!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just to let you all know we're participating in another limited edition run, this time specifically for the Russet and Denim people. Mikecch is organising it and is the brain behind the belt and he's the chap you'll need to speak to if your interested in signing up, though of course I'm very happy to answer any questions. You can PM him here

The belt is going to be made from c. 6mm Bakers Russet Oak Bark Tanned Bridle Leather - around 1 mm thicker than the last batch that we made. We can make it in this weight because of the extra flexibility the Bakers tanning process gives - 6mm in standard veg tan would be so wooden you could hardly bend it. The belt will have a solid brass square double sided military style buckle with 2 tounges. As with everything we do its entirely hand made and will stitched by hand with a heavy off white thread. Its quite a different style from our main line of products but given what I've seen of other russet belts on the market I think will probably be the best quality Russet jeans belt of this style available and I'd be amazed if it didn't last a lifetime.

We're going to charge £65 + shipping (also + VAT if your in Europe). Mikes collecting names and we aim to start the run in Jan. It'll take 4 - 6 weeks from order to delivery as we are using only the very heaviest of the Bakers Russet output so the leather has to be specifically picked for us as its finished.

The thread for the run is here any questions I'm sure Mike or I can help. I'll post photos of a prototype in a few days.

Charlie

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my Baker belt today at work (conveniently on a day where I forgot my belt) and I could immediately tell that it was a step up in quality from my Trafalgar belts. It feels sturdier but at the same time softer and more supple. I definitely plan on ordering all my future belts from Equus Leather.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I just received my Baker belt today at work (conveniently on a day where I forgot my belt) and I could immediately tell that it was a step up in quality from my Trafalgar belts. It feels sturdier but at the same time softer and more supple. I definitely plan on ordering all my future belts from Equus Leather.

Glad you like it :) The Australian Nut Bakers is really rather special

Charlie

JulianL

Reaction score
Charlie,

Although you do a great job of posting pictures here, and your enthusiasm for your products and business is infectious, it's still a bit nerve-wracking (at least for me) to make a decision sight-unseen, especially with respect to buckle finishes.

I wondered whether you have considered making a "sample pack" available with a selection of loose buckles in different styles and finishes and a swatch of the leathers. Clearly this sample pack would have a cost (and a value to nervous customers) so in my view it would be appropriate to attach a price to it and if, due to the cost of the items within it, the price came out fairly high then you could take some of the sting away by offering a full or partial refund against a first product purchase if the sample pack is returned with all components intact and in a condition such that it can be shipped out to another customer.

- Julian

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Charlie,

Although you do a great job of posting pictures here, and your enthusiasm for your products and business is infectious, it's still a bit nerve-wracking (at least for me) to make a decision sight-unseen, especially with respect to buckle finishes.

I wondered whether you have considered making a "sample pack" available with a selection of loose buckles in different styles and finishes and a swatch of the leathers. Clearly this sample pack would have a cost (and a value to nervous customers) so in my view it would be appropriate to attach a price to it and if, due to the cost of the items within it, the price came out fairly high then you could take some of the sting away by offering a full or partial refund against a first product purchase if the sample pack is returned with all components intact and in a condition such that it can be shipped out to another customer.

- Julian

Hi Julian,

Its a good idea and we do partially do it already. We send samples of leather FOC to anyone who wants to see either the leather or the colours or both - leather's so difficult to photograph and touch and smell are as important as colour to a lot of people. We have sent buckles out to customers in the past to look at it, I'm a bit more hesitant about it though as we would have to charge for it and some of the buckles are a) hard for us to get so difficult to keep in stock and b) are quite expensive. I'll have to think about that bit - I like it because its good customer service but am a little wary of the complication of deposits etc.

Do you want some leather samples?? Very happy to send you some if so..

Charlie

arced

Reaction score

I could immediately tell that it was a step up in quality from my Trafalgar belts. It feels sturdier but at the same time softer and more supple.

+1

I've been wearing mine for a month or so and really happy with it. It'll be interesting to see how it'll age. As opposed to my other belts, I see this one definitely improving with age.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Totally random post. I'm aware I haven't posted anything particularly new or interesting for a little while - Christmas orders have taken precedence over developing anything new for the last little while. Anyway, I thought I'd post a photo of a pair of collarbones I made for my little brothers Christmas present. They're made from a proprietary Sterling Silver similar to Argentium Silver, the 7 1/2 % that isn't silver is specially formulated not to tarnish. Totally not belt or leather related but I was quite pleased with how the came out so thought I'd post a (not very good) photo

Charlie

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Guys,
Totally random post. I'm aware I haven't posted anything particularly new or interesting for a little while - Christmas orders have taken precedence over developing anything new for the last little while. Anyway, I thought I'd post a photo of a pair of collarbones I made for my little brothers Christmas present. They're made from a proprietary Sterling Silver similar to Argentium Silver, the 7 1/2 % that isn't silver is specially formulated not to tarnish. Totally not belt or leather related but I was quite pleased with how the came out so thought I'd post a (not very good) photo
Charlie

Yeah... I'm going to need you to sell me some of those.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yeah... I'm going to need you to sell me some of those.

Well, I wasn't particularly trying to sell any but of course I'd be happy to make some more if people want them - its always nice to have new and shiny things to work on! As with everything else we do they are entirely handmade and can be made to the thickness/width/length you want. The ones photographed are made from 1.2mm silver and are 2 1/2" x 3/8" which seems to be a pretty standard size - I made them to that so I'd know they'd fit given they are a surprise

Charlie

CrimsonWave

Reaction score
Hi Charlie! Would you recommend using the Sedgwick Leather Feed as a conditioner on other leather items like briefcases and shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads