• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

el es dee

Reaction score
@trig awesome, lemme get this going next week.

Since I cannot do direct sales postings or product announcements on reddit boards, this will the the place where I post up new items. That way reddit users who don't browse SF and don't subscribe to our NL can also see the new stuff that we're making.

The official SF discussion would absolutely stay here. But this Reddit board could serve as a central location for all customers to browse second-hand Epaulet things. You'd need a reddit account to post an item, but you don't need one to see the postings. And the links would take you right back to SF where you can check out and purchase the item.

The other upside is that we take a lot of traffic from reddit frugalmenswear, and those guys are interested in second hand stuff, so you'd have a whole different set of eyes on the listing. It's ultimately great for us because it supports the community and can serve as a way to get new customers into our clothing. It's very rare for a person to buy just one Epaulet garment, so we get 'em hooked!

Would this be a B/S forum or just sell?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet, I received two Doyle's today and they are exactly as advertised. Really well done. I have a question about shrinkage. I wouldn't mind beating these up a bit in the washing machine, but I don't want to lose length in the sleeves. Should I be concerned about shrinkage in a cold water wash/line dry routine?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've been getting sucked into reddit more and more (/r/instant_regret fills me with so much schadenfreude that my scalp tingles), but never for menswear stuff.

An EP sub might just change that! And convince me to actually register for the site...

@FLW I've really come to like Reddit actually. I definitely find the interface to be really clunky.. and their app is fairly horrible.. but the old-school nature of it tends to attract a very well-informed userbase. Everytime I do an AMA (ask me anything), I'm always delighted by how insightful the questions are. It's worth joining IMO, and they're a community for everything.

@Epaulet any chance I can change my Vesuvio Suede sneaker color(size 8 1/2) from grey to snuff this late in the game? Doubtful I know.

@Yako ah sorry, those were cut and allocated a while ago. But you can't really go wrong with any of the colors that we offered

Hey Mike - memory failing me.... is the "Dragoni Cotton" project (believe it was cotton sportscoat/trousers) shipping soon as well? Or is that on a different timetable?

@AloysiusSF should be getting delivered today or tomorrow!

Would this be a B/S forum or just sell?

@el es dee it's actually just a place to post links to Epaulet merchandise that you're selling here or elsewhere. There's no functional way to buy or sell anything on Reddit

For example, you've got an Epaulet shirt that you've listed on Styleforum or Grailed or Ebay. You'd merely post a link to that item and a title with the price and location (Epaulet Vittorio Sportcoat Navy Wool Pique, $300, Pennsylvania USA)

A person that's interested merely clicks on your thread and they're taken directly to that sale item. You don't have to duplicate or build it out fresh. It's pretty fast.

The goal would be that this Epaulet board would have a bunch of listings where customers could see all of the Epaulet merchandise in one place, consolidated from the different venues it could be sold. I'd just need users to follow up and delete their posts after it's sold to keep the list current.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet, I received two Doyle's today and they are exactly as advertised. Really well done. I have a question about shrinkage. I wouldn't mind beating these up a bit in the washing machine, but I don't want to lose length in the sleeves. Should I be concerned about shrinkage in a cold water wash/line dry routine?

@Patrick R excellent! And no, I didn't get any real shrinkage with cold wash/hang dry. We tested all of the colors.

Like denim, the fabric contracts after a wash, so the sleeves will look shorter. But just wear it a bit, steam it, or iron it, and they should go back to the about the same length.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I'm sure I'll be ironing after washing, so it should be no issue here. You were right that the walnut feels more broken in than the navy and both are so nice. The cut is sharp, but I had no issue with restriction in the arms and chest. Really well done.

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FLW I've really come to like Reddit actually. I definitely find the interface to be really clunky.. and their app is fairly horrible.. but the old-school nature of it tends to attract a very well-informed userbase. Everytime I do an AMA (ask me anything), I'm always delighted by how insightful the questions are. It's worth joining IMO, and they're a community for everything.

Mike when browsing on a computer try installing RES and Imagus, makes the experience way way easier. RES improves the formatting for reddit a great deal and imagus makes it so when you hover over a picture it will show you a larger version of it.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have missed this conversation, but was a Navy cramerton ever considered? I love my grey pair and is looking to get a navy one. Too many green/khakis at the moment.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet - I don't know if it was on here or on Instagram where I saw a post about a waxed cotton Doyle. My thoughts:

I have a couple different waxed Filson and Barbour coats and I've always found the lightweight, unlined ones to be sort of an odd duck that doesn't really have a good purpose. The waxing process makes the cotton much less breathable so what starts as a lightweight piece of outerwear for the mid spring or early fall can quickly get a bit too warm for those days if you are actually wearing it outside. And without some sort of liner the jacket is never as waterproof or water resistant as you hope it would be.

I had a waxed Filson trucker jacket and as cool as it looked, it was just sort of useless. Not to mention that something short like that was meant to be worn in a vehicle and the wax really does rub off onto your seats. I ended up packing it away somewhere and haven't touched it in a couple of years. I wish I would have gotten the un-waxed version. The only saving grace is that if I were to wear it much more frequently (as in daily over the course of a year) I know it would start to develop a unique patina, especially since it's unlined and fits closer to the body and sort of molds itself to the wearer... maybe I should dig it out again and get to work with it? I think the idea of some potential patina would be the main selling point for a waxed Doyle.

On the other hand, my waxed Barbour Bedale and Filson Weekender jackets get much more wear throughout the fall and winter. The heavier weight of the fabric (I believe both are cover cloth) plus the addition of thin built-in liners and heavier zip-in wool or moleskin liners maker these jackets extensively more weather resistant and warmer. My parents have a farm and I can spend all day on a cold day in the snow or light rain in December or January outside clearing brush, climbing under the tractors, etc. and stay warm and dry.

Instead of a waxed Doyle for the fall or winter, I'd be much more interested in a heavyweight tweed or donegal that also offers some natural weather resistance (thanks to the properties of the wool and the weave) but also has some added warmth that it's hard to get from just a cotton Doyle.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree completely with @Michigan Planner That a waxed unline jacket is a tough sale in terms of overall usefulness. Would love to see a tweed/heavier fabric Doyle for fall though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics