• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
tumblr_ogrkzxW1Lb1r8bgano1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ogrl11cFhy1r8bgano1_1280.jpg

Details

laughter95

Reaction score

I am 5'9", 165lbs (down from 178 but gaining some size back shortly) , 41" chest. I figured a M at 21" from the website measurements) would be too snug for me so I went with L as it said it measured 22" in the chest, It actually measured 23" pit to pit but I think it still works. I am only wearing it with a tee shirt in the pic but today I have it on with a cardigan and all feels great. 

What are you doing with your wardrobe as you fluctuate in weight? How do you buy suits? Do you just purchase a cheapo suit and trousers during this fluctuating time, or do you just but a little bigger and tailor accordingly?

Background: I started 2016 at 150 lbs and had been wearing Mike/Adele's XS shirts since my first order in April 2010. Then I decided to get stronger/have muscles. This caused me to put into storage all of my wardrobe collected over the years - 23 XS Epaulet shirts and 5 or 6 Walt trousers, some PBJ denim and a couple TOJ jackets. Only the heirloom cardigan from Northern Watters remained usable. For months I didn't care that I looked like an average Joe at the office in ill-fitting clothes. But I got sick of this so decided to put money in bigger clothes. I came from wearing a size 32 Walt to a size 34 Rudy. A bit scared that I'll grow out of these clothes and have wasted a few thousand dollars again.

Sigh, looking at the photo gallery for this thread makes me feel nostalgic. Epaulet has basically comprised all of my daily corporate and play clothes for the past 5+ years. Like my Alden suede chukkas, they've been there for me and part of my identity throughout all this time... Miss the old label with the Brooklyn phone number on it :slayer:

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are you doing with your wardrobe as you fluctuate in weight? How do you buy suits? Do you just purchase a cheapo suit and trousers during this fluctuating time, or do you just but a little bigger and tailor accordingly?

Background: I started 2016 at 150 lbs and had been wearing Mike/Adele's XS shirts since my first order in April 2010. Then I decided to get stronger/have muscles. This caused me to put into storage all of my wardrobe collected over the years - 23 XS Epaulet shirts and 5 or 6 Walt trousers, some PBJ denim and a couple TOJ jackets. Only the heirloom cardigan from Northern Watters remained usable. For months I didn't care that I looked like an average Joe at the office in ill-fitting clothes. But I got sick of this so decided to put money in bigger clothes. I came from wearing a size 32 Walt to a size 34 Rudy. A bit scared that I'll grow out of these clothes and have wasted a few thousand dollars again.

Sigh, looking at the photo gallery for this thread makes me feel nostalgic. Epaulet has basically comprised all of my daily corporate and play clothes for the past 5+ years. Like my Alden suede chukkas, they've been there for me and part of my identity throughout all this time... Miss the old label with the Brooklyn phone number on it :slayer:

I thankfully don't own any suits but I have in the past sold off clothing because I outgrew them. On this latest bulk up to 178 my thighs were about to be bursting from some pants so I knew it was time to cut. As I've lost weight my waist is pretty loose now on most pairs but I just deal with it as I know it won't last long. Sadly as I start putting on size again I will probably have to make the decision to let a few go again. As for shirts my old go-tos used to be Bonobos and J Crew and have not yet ventured into EP shirts. I've found a new OTR fit from Spier & Mackay that gives me some growing room so I've stocked up and replaced most of my staple shirts with them.

It's a tricky game but as @JilSlander says gains above all. Just try your best to have both. The site and community here are great resources for recouping some costs if you need to part with items.

laughter95

Reaction score

I thankfully don't own any suits but I have in the past sold off clothing because I outgrew them. On this latest bulk up to 178 my thighs were about to be bursting from some pants so I knew it was time to cut. As I've lost weight my waist is pretty loose now on most pairs but I just deal with it as I know it won't last long. Sadly as I start putting on size again I will probably have to make the decision to let a few go again. As for shirts my old go-tos used to be Bonobos and J Crew and have not yet ventured into EP shirts. I've found a new OTR fit from Spier & Mackay that gives me some growing room so I've stocked up and replaced most of my staple shirts with them.

It's a tricky game but as @JilSlander says gains above all. Just try your best to have both. The site and community here are great resources for recouping some costs if you need to part with items.

if you can find an epaulet shirt that fits you well, consider getting them. they were the only shirts that could take me from the office, to the club, to the bar, and back to the shag pad/home, seamlessly, due to fabric quality and fit. they worked well for 5 or 6 years. by the 3rd or 4th year of wearing the blue check gingham shirt with spread collar to death, the cuffs started to fray. this was with machine washing and drying on the hanger nearly weekly, sometimes multiple times a week. their stuff lasts!

i may be on SF more often. however, perusing the site usually results in spending lots of money. i want gains but right now i feel like they're limited within a $1,300 Lubiam suit I just bought, and a $800 Lubiam jacket that I got from Epaulet.

search powerlifting on here, there is just one thread in which a 265lb elite lifter is asking about getting clothes that fit. some skinny jerkoff tells him he's too fat. not sure if teh fashionz is actually tailored for humans with muscles. seems like all the steez works more often for the 5'10-6'2 male between 155-175lbs. :confused:

Last edited:

Gingahbman

Reaction score

Exactly how I feel. I think that's my favorite part about having quality clothing that ages well; when you wear them again they can bring you back to a certain time and place. I still remember the first time I went to the Orchard St. location in person. It was when they had just launched the rivet chino and I had ordered a size 34 of the french blues online and wasn't sure if it was too tight or not. I was in that phase where I had APC size down 3 mentality on everything (Damn you SUFU, :embar:). I had plans to meet a friend who owned a sandwich shop a couple blocks down, so I figured I'd bring the rivets along and go in and actually see the people that I was communicating online with. If they were too tight I was hoping to exchange them, or at least get store credit.

Back then I couldn't afford much. I was young, had a lot of college debt and a job that didn't pay much. I think I liked dressing up because it made me feel special at a time in my life that I really didn't have much going on for me. It was a small luxury for myself. I know clothes shouldn't make the man, but they did give me a push in the right direction to be more confident and sure about who I was as a person. When I got to the store, Mike greeted me, no different than he would any other customer. We talked shop, I'm sure I bothered him about tweed corduroy, which I have done many times over the years (Thanks for bringing them back, they fit/look wonderful :D), and I asked if I could get his opinion on my 34 rivets. He said "Sure" and as soon as I came out from behind the changing curtain he had a puzzled look on his face that was definitely a Kodak moment. He asked me if I could sit down comfortably, I told him sorta (Definitely a lie, I could barely breathe :rotflmao:). He strongly insisted that I size up, which I did.

5 or so years later, I'm a size 35... still too big for a 34, and a bit too trim around the waist for a 36, but I still have those French Blues. I donated/gave away to friends quite a few of my older pairs (My friend in particular liked the Walt Grape Herringbones) but I don't think I will ever part with those first rivets because they will always remind me of the time that a complete stranger I met on the internet became a friend. I haven't seen Mike in person in years, but I'm sure that whether he remembers me or not, he'll greet me with the same care and concern as always.

So what do I do when my weight fluctuates? Buy new clothes, get old ones tailored, give them to friends, but don't be afraid to outgrow your clothes. If it happens, it happens. I don't think most of us stay the same size our whole lives anyway :D. Congrats on stepping up your gym game too. I feel like I'm a few more workouts from not fitting into a few of my older Epaulet shirts. That being said, I'll have to make sure not to walk into the store wearing them so Mike doesn't give me that puzzled look again :puzzled:.

P.S. Those old tags were dope!

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Mike,

Just bringing this back up in case it got lost in the shuffle. Any possibility of a EP SoCal meetup this weekend?

@eljlakers you around on Friday at all? We'll be at the office then. Adele and I are actually going out of town for the weekend.
Oh my Gawd, Gable trousers with suits!

@cyclohexane

@Epaulet Is there no need to enter the original order number for the Museum Calf footwear? I logged into my account and paid the balance, but I just want to make sure you guys can tell what I ordered. Really excited to see how they turned out.

@Wooderson nope, no need - we'll cross reference it on our side

EP sneakers and moleskin field jacket (shoutout to @janoy89 ) at the gym.

Can we get an EP gym duffle...? My Hershel will be in need of an upgrade soon.

@Burzan jacket is a great fit on you!

Smoking deal on a really great pair of innocuous but very very versatile shoes. I bought a pair a week and a half ago or so and don't regret it at all; they are worth every penny. I can also reinforce the sizing advice Mike gave; I wear an 8.5 in the sport trainer (very tight at first but broke in perfectly) and these feel exactly the same basically. Can't recommend them enough!

@slows2k awesome - so glad to hear that you're pleased with them! And we have a price adjustment policy - drop me a quick email and we'll issue you a credit for the sale price difference.

Really tempted by the Dartmouth sportcoat. I've been staring at the navy hopsack MTO page for a while now, debating all the different options. The Dartmouth is close to my ideal makeup, the main difference being the unstructured shoulder.

I was planning on ordering in the next few months but I'm going to give it some thought because 15% off makes for a great price.

Mike,

Dartmouth vs Napoli?

@notmandatory
@Todd V

Thanks for asking guys... I know that it got lost in the EFF / Museum Calf deluge.

The Dartmouth is a shape that we developed with Southwick over the past few years. It's an American made version of the Vittorio, with a half-canvassed body, completely unconstructed shoulder and very soft lapels. IMO it's the best fitting jacket that they offer.

If anyone got an unconstructed jacket in our EFF Southwick rounds this year, then it was made in the Dartmouth design. The main differences between this and Napoli are the shoulder execution (the Dartmouth is better) and wider lapels.

This hopsack is really excellent, and this piece is a perfect basic navy blazer. We'll be able to offer matching trousers via MTO for about $275. So you can make a whole suit out it with any of our trouser fits as well. It's definitely a great deal with that discount.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Exactly how I feel. I think that's my favorite part about having quality clothing that ages well; when you wear them again they can bring you back to a certain time and place. I still remember the first time I went to the Orchard St. location in person. It was when they had just launched the rivet chino and I had ordered a size 34 of the french blues online and wasn't sure if it was too tight or not. I was in that phase where I had APC size down 3 mentality on everything (Damn you SUFU,
shog[1].gif
). I had plans to meet a friend who owned a sandwich shop a couple blocks down, so I figured I'd bring the rivets along and go in and actually see the people that I was communicating online with. If they were too tight I was hoping to exchange them, or at least get store credit.

Back then I couldn't afford much. I was young, had a lot of college debt and a job that didn't pay much. I think I liked dressing up because it made me feel special at a time in my life that I really didn't have much going on for me. It was a small luxury for myself. I know clothes shouldn't make the man, but they did give me a push in the right direction to be more confident and sure about who I was as a person. When I got to the store, Mike greeted me, no different than he would any other customer. We talked shop, I'm sure I bothered him about tweed corduroy, which I have done many times over the years (Thanks for bringing them back, they fit/look wonderful
biggrin.gif
), and I asked if I could get his opinion on my 34 rivets. He said "Sure" and as soon as I came out from behind the changing curtain he had a puzzled look on his face that was definitely a Kodak moment. He asked me if I could sit down comfortably, I told him sorta (Definitely a lie, I could barely breathe
rotflmao.gif
). He strongly insisted that I size up, which I did.

5 or so years later, I'm a size 35... still too big for a 34, and a bit too trim around the waist for a 36, but I still have those French Blues. I donated/gave away to friends quite a few of my older pairs (My friend in particular liked the Walt Grape Herringbones) but I don't think I will ever part with those first rivets because they will always remind me of the time that a complete stranger I met on the internet became a friend. I haven't seen Mike in person in years, but I'm sure that whether he remembers me or not, he'll greet me with the same care and concern as always.

So what do I do when my weight fluctuates? Buy new clothes, get old ones tailored, give them to friends, but don't be afraid to outgrow your clothes. If it happens, it happens. I don't think most of us stay the same size our whole lives anyway
biggrin.gif
. Congrats on stepping up your gym game too. I feel like I'm a few more workouts from not fitting into a few of my older Epaulet shirts. That being said, I'll have to make sure not to walk into the store wearing them so Mike doesn't give me that puzzled look again
puzzled.gif

@Gingahbman this is awesome, thanks so much for posting it! I'm grateful to be your pants supplier over all these years! Book a trip out to Hermosa Beach and grande burritos are on me!

@Burzan we have a lot of guys with this situation, and two things can do wonders in terms of our collection:

1) Single-Pleat trousers (Taylor or Gable). If you've got really muscular legs, they'll change your life

2) Custom Individualized shirts. We size people in NY and LA all of the time with many different physiques. I have a bunch of clients who are really jacked - with like 11" drops and 19" arms. We've made them the best-fitting shirts that they've ever owned, as we're able to really tweak things to their size. You can either get fitted in person, or send us the specs of a shirt that fits you well now.

Sigh, looking at the photo gallery for this thread makes me feel nostalgic. Epaulet has basically comprised all of my daily corporate and play clothes for the past 5+ years. Like my Alden suede chukkas, they've been there for me and part of my identity throughout all this time... Miss the old label with the Brooklyn phone number on it
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

@laughter95 thanks for posting this - it's been our pleasure over these years! I miss that old label too - we should do some kind of "throwback" collection next season!

kwanon

Reaction score
Exactly how I feel. I think that's my favorite part about having quality clothing that ages well; when you wear them again they can bring you back to a certain time and place. I still remember the first time I went to the Orchard St. location in person. It was when they had just launched the rivet chino and I had ordered a size 34 of the french blues online and wasn't sure if it was too tight or not. I was in that phase where I had APC size down 3 mentality on everything (Damn you SUFU,
shog[1].gif
). I had plans to meet a friend who owned a sandwich shop a couple blocks down, so I figured I'd bring the rivets along and go in and actually see the people that I was communicating online with. If they were too tight I was hoping to exchange them, or at least get store credit.

Back then I couldn't afford much. I was young, had a lot of college debt and a job that didn't pay much. I think I liked dressing up because it made me feel special at a time in my life that I really didn't have much going on for me. It was a small luxury for myself. I know clothes shouldn't make the man, but they did give me a push in the right direction to be more confident and sure about who I was as a person. When I got to the store, Mike greeted me, no different than he would any other customer. We talked shop, I'm sure I bothered him about tweed corduroy, which I have done many times over the years (Thanks for bringing them back, they fit/look wonderful
biggrin.gif
), and I asked if I could get his opinion on my 34 rivets. He said "Sure" and as soon as I came out from behind the changing curtain he had a puzzled look on his face that was definitely a Kodak moment. He asked me if I could sit down comfortably, I told him sorta (Definitely a lie, I could barely breathe
rotflmao.gif
). He strongly insisted that I size up, which I did.

So what do I do when my weight fluctuates? Buy new clothes, get old ones tailored, give them to friends, but don't be afraid to outgrow your clothes. If it happens, it happens. I don't think most of us stay the same size our whole lives anyway
biggrin.gif
. Congrats on stepping up your gym game too. I feel like I'm a few more workouts from not fitting into a few of my older Epaulet shirts. That being said, I'll have to make sure not to walk into the store wearing them so Mike doesn't give me that puzzled look again
puzzled.gif

Love the nostalgia :D

First time I went to Ep I got helped by Mike & Matt. I wasn't on SF yet so I didn't know who either of them were. Legends in their own time. Matt was #menswear AF but I didn't even know what that was yet either. I had my mom in tow cause we were in the city for the day doing touristy stuff but I had wanted to go to Epaulet for months (also Self Edge).

They helped size me in Rivets and Walts. I picked up my first pair--moss duck rivets. I wanted caramel but they were out in size 29. No regrets. They're faded as hell now and I love them to death. February 2013. Feels like longer ago.

Gingahbman

Reaction score

Love the nostalgia :D

First time I went to Ep I got helped by Mike & Matt. I wasn't on SF yet so I didn't know who either of them were. Legends in their own time. Matt was #menswear AF but I didn't even know what that was yet either. I had my mom in tow cause we were in the city for the day doing touristy stuff but I had wanted to go to Epaulet for months (also Self Edge).

They helped size me in Rivets and Walts. I picked up my first pair--moss duck rivets. I wanted caramel but they were out in size 29. No regrets. They're faded as hell now and I love them to death. February 2013. Feels like longer ago.

Great color; that tone of olive on the moss works with so many outfits. Ah, I forgot about Matt! Do you know what he's up to these days? Last I heard he headed down to Atlanta? I could be wrong though.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burgundy. Hopsack Walt and old Southwick SC
568b8b65d871c42a7c17d3a5f62a8188.jpg

1cb7bb0688e8721fc26204092d2d9920.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads