• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's still September (barely) but any idea when fall/winter sport coat fabrics will make their way to the website? I yearn for tweed this year.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet Hey Mike, are there any special washing instructions for the Alumo Wool/Cotton shirts? Is it safe to just cold wash and hang dry or would you recommend dry cleaning it?

@Nik Telford Cold Wash and hang dry all of the way. This fabric is essentially like the Viyella wool/cotton blend.

Definitely keep it away from the dryer. It might be a bit stiff after the first wash (it also might not be, this stuff is pretty high end), but you can iron or steam it to soften it up if that's the case. Enjoy that awesome shirt!

I'm going to hold you to that.
nod[1].gif

@Patrick R oh definitely, I've got all sorts of plans for cotton trousers in the Spring :)

Mike.........are the performance chinos machine washable?

Also, why are the belt loops so wide? Kinda looks odd with a dress belt.......is that intentional?

@Viral yup, they're fully machine washable and they come rinsed to eliminate shrinkage.

The belt loops are what we've always used for the Rivet Chino - it's so guys can wear them with thicker belts. It's up to your preference, but I think it looks totally fine with a dress belt - a lot of our customers wear it that way. If you want to give these a shot, I think that you'll be really impressed with how they feel.

I'm considering buying the olive duck canvas field jacket Epaulet now has on clearance. However, I already have an "otter" green waxed cotton jacket, and I worry that they will be too duplicative of one another. I'd be curious to hear what the guys in the forum think, and also, whether Epaulet could suggest some combinations in which this jacket would work better than, or at least be an attractive alternative to, waxed cotton.

@BespokeBrooklyn the color is certainly similar, but the feel and the weight are entirely different.

Waxed cotton was used so much in English-made outerwear because it's perfect for their climate. It's relatively warm and very water-resistant. It's great for a cool, rainy day. In the UK and Northern Europe, it's cold right at the start of September, and there's a huge stretch of time where a Barbour or other waxed cotton jacket makes sense.

In Brooklyn (just assuming that you're there), the lingering heat and humidity always made waxed cotton kind of uncomfortable until mid-October or so. It would be good for a while... and then I'd have to put it away in early Dec. It's pretty terrible at insulation, so I found it tough to keep warm even with layering.

The Duck Canvas jacket is kind of the opposite - it's light and breathable. You can start wearing it right now, and it's effective until late Fall as long as you're layering underneath it. It works in warmer areas just great. The one weakness is that it won't keep water out. It's machine washable - so water isn't a problem - but you're going to get wet if you wear it in a pouring rainstorm.

The color's great. If you have stuff that coordinates well with the waxed coat, then it will work great with the Field jacket too. And I think that you could wear it in a lot of instances where the waxed coat wouldn't work, comfort-wise.

Just ordered both Rivet performance cloth pants
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I normally have ordered walts in a size 32 and have to let the waist out, so I decided to order a 33 in these.

@justinkapur thank you sir! Keen to hear your thoughts on them, I'm really happy with how they came out

Hey Mike.

Question about care for the Camo field jacket(which I freaking love).

When I got it I tried various washing methods to soften it up. I dried it with a bunch of Spaldings to pummel it.

Inside the jacket the label says tumble dry low but subsequent to me doing that I read here you had said to air dry it.

I notice now that the bottom of the armholes are a little tight. I can't recall if they were that way when I tried it on at first.

Do you think the tumble drying may have shrunk it a little?

Thanks.

@metranger8694 it's going to take quite a bit of wash and wear to soften this fabric, the Camo was really freaking tough. You're not getting shrinkage in the armholes.. it's more that the fabric contracts a bit after a wash. Just like a jean. Wear it a bit and you'll feel the armhole give more. I don't think that the low tumble would effect anything, but all of these canvas coats definitely shrink a bit in the length after their washing. Any shrinkage in the width will be temporary or minimal.
I know it's still September (barely) but any idea when fall/winter sport coat fabrics will make their way to the website? I yearn for tweed this year.

@CLTesquire hoping to get those up and promoted in a week or so! Just waiting on a huge box from Southwick.

BenLeaman

Reaction score

Just placed my order for the shirting EFF went with the Armored Division Olive Herringbone Flannel and also the Ivory, Blue and Khaki Tattersall psyched for them!

Also paid for my Heirloom preorders (which I forgot about).

New Rivet materials look good. I forgot to grab a belt with the above order so I might have to grab some Rivets sigggghhhh

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, have you ever worn Rudy's? Curious as to how a Rudy fits compared to a Walt with the waist let out.

I've never worn the Rudys so hard to say and give appropriate feedback on it.

@Epaulet I'm on my phone so can't quote it all but I'm stoked because I needed those colors and I think the slight bit of stretch will be awesome.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@bkotsko That Vittorio is such a great fit on you
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

unclesam099

Reaction score

And some made-up Fall fabrics from Individualized. We've got a fun promo launching in a few hours..
Looks exactly what is on the way to me (along with a few others...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics