• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pastor

Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying to make a decision. I ordered the Mason 150's pearl grey (light grey) in a suit. What color buttons so I get? Go traditional with black horn or go with blond horn? I wish that there was a charcoal or grey offering but alas…

cyclohexane

Reaction score
@Epaulet Leaning towards the Linen Blend Seed Stitch in a slouchy unstructured sportcoat like I would wear a cotton hemp one. Am I reading it right?
That sounds like a winner. I do all my single-breasted linen jackets as unstructured, and sized up once.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Green linen Gables today, seen here as I plot what to do with our pain-in-the-ass pergola this summer.

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, I'm trying to make a decision. I ordered the Mason 150's pearl grey (light grey) in a suit. What color buttons so I get? Go traditional with black horn or go with blond horn? I wish that there was a charcoal or grey offering but alas…

Brown Horn or Smoke MOP

onehotchili

Reaction score
@Epaulet -
I was interested in the Vittorio Sportcoat.... the Loro Piana 4-Season Navy Pique (http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...orio-sportcoat-loro-piana-4-season-navy-pique)... I am looking for a general "go to" SC and would mostly use when I travel. Just curious how durable it is? I am doing 2-3 plane trips a month. I am pretty good with my clothing, but I would be carrying a brief case with shoulder strap, sometimes taking the coat off, carefully folding and putting in the over head bin etc. Thx....

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm actually looking for something to the darker side of the PT Oxford that will still give off a casual vibe. Any suggestions. The Indigo Pure Linen perhaps?

@Duke Silver oh yes, the dark indigo linen is absolutely beautiful! Size up one in the waist to keep it comfortable as a Rudy trouser in really hot weather. Or consider doing TTS in the Taylor - we've sold a ton of linen Taylor & Gable trousers this season.

The other option would be Navy Seersucker - I'm a huge proponent of that fabric and I'm bringing myself a pair for LA. It's excellent and might hit that casual look that you're after.

Mike, on the Gauzy Herringbone, two questions: What is the weight on this? Is it spring/summer. Is the weave pretty loose? And second, it's called rainbow herringbone, but in the picture it appears tan and brown with light blue thread running through. Are there other colors in the fabric that just aren't visible in the photo?

Thanks!

@eljlakers glad that you guys dig the videos! I'm going to step up the production values when we set up the studio out West.

Boom! EP sportcoat cherry broken. Gauzy herringbone and navy seersucker. Mike, what's the best email to sort out sizing with you?

@eljlakers some ace choices right there! E-mail to contact[at]epauletnewyork.com

I think the Green Hunting Check might be a sleeper pick of the lot

@Don L It's a great fabric and a real standout for me. We've sold quite a bit of it so far.

I thought I was just going to get one jacket but now I want that Firenze guncheck so bad.

@Epaulet Mike - I added a comment in the order form when I placed my order yesterday, but before I place another order I want to double check one thing...how much can we change our pattern from the last EFF round? My jacket was pretty much perfect except that the buttoning point was a little high and sat above my natural waist. Can I get that lowered on this round of orders?

@Beatlegeuse unfortunately no, the button stance scales directly with the body length, so they can't change it unless you make the body longer or shorter

My late grandfather had a light grey summer suit with smoked MOP buttons. Decided to pay homage to it and pull the trigger on the medium grey open weave fresco. I did welt breast pocket with patch pockets though.

Also, for all the suits in this round I requested vests, provided there's enough fabric left. I figured all the ones I got would potentially work as odd vests, especially the floral chambray.

@cyclohexane great choices on all of the stuff that you ordered! We'll get vests through as well for you.

I'm considering the mocha static-weave as I do not own any brown suits. I also do not own any double breasted suits. Would this fabric make up well as DB w/ open patch pockets or is that too weird? I am also considering going with my usual EP/SouthWick 3-roll-2 w/ open patch pockets but I thought it be nice for a new look with such an interesting fabric... Thoughts?

@loxo

You'll absolutely love the Mocha Static-Weave. All of the fabrics with "BF" in the fabric number are from the USA-made Thom Browne Black Fleece line. Most of them are from about 5 years back and they were developed specifically for that collection. They're very breathable but have a tweed-like complexity to the weave that's just stunning. They're really an excellent buy and something that's pretty rare to find.

I'd personally do it as a SB rather than a DB. It's a great sportcoat on its own, and I could see you wearing it very casually with jeans if you want (of course it works as suit or biz-caz with trousers too). It would certainly be really rad as a DB, but you'd probably have more occasions to wear it as an SB.

Those epla zip hoodies are so awesome. When will those be back in stock? Where can I get a new one in xs?

I have the navy one but im open to other colors!

@JezeC ah sadly I'm out of the hoodie business - probably for good.

I loved them and it was a fun project for me. But I've had to face the facts that - at least for the foreseeable future - I'm a wovens designer. I do well with shirts, pants and jackets - not so much tees, polos, and sweat-stuff. I never say never, but we're out of the biz for the time being. Glad that you're enjoying them though!

Mike @Epaulet, @JR Magat, thanks for the help. I did end up going with REDA Milano check jacket and pants. @JR Magat if you see some dude walking around Novi/Northville with your coat on, that would be me. I went with the same make up as you. I also added a few extras to my order, indigo Irish linen suit and olive hunting check jacket.

Mike @Epaulet I added a comment about holding for size confirmation on the Milano check and Irish linen, but forgot to on the hunting check. Hope that's not a problem. I would like to chat and nail down my size. Thanks.

@tkliebert you made some ace choices on those items! Gotcha on the hunting check, we'll apply your size confirmation to that too

There is going to be some fantastic suiting rolling out here in another month or two, can't wait to see some! What do you think about the wool-silk mocha? Could it be made as a casual sport coat? And could it be dressed down with chinos (rivets) or something similar? I've been toying with picking up a summer weight sport coat in a similar brown linen and this might tickle that itch... But it would need to work as a casual piece.

@duff406 yup, I think that you'll really love this as a jacket if you want to give it a shot. It's brilliant as a casual piece and would look great with rivets.

cyclohexane

Reaction score
@cyclohexane great choices on all of the stuff that you ordered! We'll get vests through as well for you.

Thanks, Mike! I look forward to seeing them. Luckily, there should be some time to improve (revert, actually) my diet and exercise habits so that everything looks better on me. :D

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Green linen Gables today, seen here as I plot what to do with our pain-in-the-ass pergola this summer.

@FLW these came out incredible! The look is super-boss with that cool shirt too!

@Pastor I'd do it with either blonde horn or brown horn. Can't go wrong with either of them. If you're cool with blonde, then do that - I think that it will be a beautiful contrast with the suit color.

Kids heirloom duly noted. My kid actually asked if he could have one like mine last time I wore it and I was like, "Yes. Yes you can." Got to pass the colors up the chain of command and see what flys (am I mixing metaphors here?). But I think I got to go with wooden buttons for the guy so it'll be the pullover..

@FrankCowperwood haha very cool!

This is like the second time this week I've quoted myself, fortunately both times wasn't within this thread buuuut...

Grandma ordered babygirl a Ecru buttoned pullover with wood buttons. Going to have my daughter all EP'd out!

@BenLeaman you guys are going to be a gang!

@CanadaCal Thanks for your thoughts.

I may have missed it, but what vent are these being made with? I noticed this wasn't an option to select.

@adamf009 all of the Ends promo fabrics can only be done with a single vent. They needed to get some economy of scale, so they're only doing that single vent and not offering hem service on the trousers. But you can opt for a single vent with any of the full-price fabrics

Regarding the kids sweaters, if you offered the sock monkey pattern/colors in an adult sweater, I'd snatch that up!
I too am considering the seersucker with the unstructured shoulders and patch hip pockets. For me, I'd go for a patch chest pocket as well. That's my preferred make-up for about 95% of the casual fabrics no matter if I'm ordering a full suit or just a jacket.

@Michigan Planner we can absolutely do a sock monkey sweater in Adult sizes. Would be the same price as the Aran sweater, and I'm sure that we can get them to make it in our fit. Drop me an email and Adele can set that up for you. It would be awesome!

I really want to get the Hawk in Sock Monkey for our little guy but he would only get to wear it when we go up to the mountains for skiing.

@Epaulet Leaning towards the Linen Blend Seed Stitch in a slouchy unstructured sportcoat like I would wear a cotton hemp one. Am I reading it right?

Also getting in on the Greyscale Big Check, though the Olive Hunting Check is calling out to me.

@lifeinabox yup, the Linen Seed Stitch would give of a hemp-ish vibe. It's a very wearable cloth for LA, and kind of gives you the complexity and look of tweed with a breathable cloth.

And either of those other two jackets would be boss - both look and weight-wise

Maiden voyage for the Cardiff Express.

(Yes, Gareth Bale reference)

@El Argentino those look fantastic - thanks for posting the photos! Glad that you're enjoying them

@Epaulet and others, would like to hear your thoughts. I've ordered the Persian Blue SC w/ normal shoulders, full lining and all welt pockets. Considering adding the Olive Hunting Check with welt breast and open patch pockets.

Would you go with unconstructed shoulder on any of these? Work dress is bank-standard, I.e. Not suits but wool pants, dress shirts, etc.

@adamf009

Good call on the specs for the Persian Blue SC. I think that it works with the more formal styling that you chose. I'd order it the same way.

I'd do unconstructed, welt chest, open patch hip on the Olive Hunting Check for more of an Italian look on that one

@Epaulet Mike, I'm thinking about the Wheat and Straw Slubby Linen -- possibly as a suit. Do you have a sense of the weight of the fabric, and how fine or coarse it is? I'm thinking of drape and how wrinkle prone it will be, and also if the fabric will be itchy as a trouser during hot weather. Texture looks very interesting!

@applky if you're in the city, I actually brought back cuttings of each fabric from Southwick. We have all of them at the Manhattan store and you can check them out in person.

Slubby linen feels more or less like the Italian linen we use in Hertling trousers. It has a very soft hand (for a linen) and would be a very comfortable suit. I wouldn't find it itchy, so don't worry about that. It's definitely going to wrinkle a lot, but that's pure linen for you. I think that you can pull that style off well. And both pieces would work wonderfully as separates

@Epaulet

I know its a long shot, but if the fabric remains, turned into a Walt/Rudy EFF it would be delicious. So many great fabrics, sadly can't kop a suit atm.

@CanadaCal not a long shot at all! We're absolutely going to build out a trouser EFF with whatever fabrics remain (should be a good amount of them). I know that I said that back in January and never did it, but we're fully set up to execute it now, so it's on the schedule for end of the month.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet -
I was interested in the Vittorio Sportcoat.... the Loro Piana 4-Season Navy Pique (http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...orio-sportcoat-loro-piana-4-season-navy-pique)... I am looking for a general "go to" SC and would mostly use when I travel. Just curious how durable it is? I am doing 2-3 plane trips a month. I am pretty good with my clothing, but I would be carrying a brief case with shoulder strap, sometimes taking the coat off, carefully folding and putting in the over head bin etc. Thx....

@onehotchili

I can speak from personal experience on this one. Anyone who knows me has seen me wear a navy sportcoat. I grabbed one of our original Vittorio jackets from Fall 2013 in this exact fabric (LP 4-season pique) and it's the only navy jacket that I own. I wear it 2-3 times a week and I've traveled all over the world with it. I definitely don't care for it like I should and I often use a shoulder strap with it. It's held up beautifully!

This fabric isn't the toughest on the market - something like Southwick's stock hopsack cloth is definitely stronger - but I think that it's an ideal mix of luxury and durability, and it has a very special look that's "beyond" the usual navy blazer. If you want to give it a try then I think you'll be really pleased with it!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

BenLeaman

Reaction score

@BenLeaman
you guys are going to be a gang! 

A bunch of street toughs over here!

@Michigan Planner
 we can absolutely do a sock monkey sweater in Adult sizes. Would be the same price as the Aran sweater, and I'm sure that we can get them to make it in our fit. Drop me an email and Adele can set that up for you. It would be awesome!

That could be amazing! I might be interested in it too.

cyclohexane

Reaction score
The sock monkey sweater for adults sounds amazing, but I rarely need a sweater (which is why I bought three in the last heirloom preorder) so I think I'll just enjoy the pictures when they pop up in the thread.

At least, the first time around. :D

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm just gonna throw this out here. On my way out of the Southwick fabric room, I came across this "Cinco De Mayo" fabric. They were shutting down (union rules) so I had no time to photograph or video it. Not even sure what the yarn is, but it felt like some kind of wool-cotton blend.

This was bought by a past wholesale client who abandoned it there. I cannot resist ordering myself a coat in this cloth because.. I can't pass on the opportunity to have a Mexican Blanket sportcoat. It's going to be psycho.

If anybody else wants one, I'm sure that we can offer it at the EFF price and I can get more info on the cloth. Although this shadowy iPhone pic would be the only representation of it. Post here if you want in on it! This is the very essence of "bonkers."

Last edited:

cyclohexane

Reaction score
Ok, I'm just gonna throw this out here. On my way out of the Southwick fabric room, I came across this "Cinco De Mayo" fabric. They were shutting down (union rules) so I had no time to photograph or video it. Not even sure what the yarn is, but it felt like some kind of wool-cotton blend.

This was bought by a past wholesale client who abandoned it there. I cannot resist ordering myself a coat in this cloth because.. I can't pass on the opportunity to have a Mexican Blanket sportcoat. It's going to be psycho.

If anybody else wants one, I'm sure that we can offer it at the EFF price and I can get more info on the cloth. Although this shadowy iPhone pic would be the only representation of it. Post here if you want in on it! This is the very essence of "bonkers."

That looks amazing. Quoted with picture.

I'm in. I wonder what it'd look like worn with the legendary Guatemalan.

By the way, whatever happened to the possibility of floral high rise shorts?

cyclohexane

Reaction score
I was originally going to post this for anyone considering the sky blue doeskin, but now with the Mexican blanket fabric...

Here's an image of my dad and grandmother shot by a friend of mine. Grandma's got a jacket which I believe is literally made from a blanket fabric. The wheels in my head are already spinning for an unstructured sport coat in the Mexican blanket fabric Mike posted above.

My dad is sporting a vintage sky blue suit in some kind of blended tropical wool; from what I could see from the video of the Nantucket Red doeskin, the texture is similar but my dad's fabric has quite a bit of slub going on that isn't present in the doeskin availble from this EFF.

White MOP buttons, of course!

Unfortunately, he forgot where he put away the vintage pebble grain Florsheim LWB from the 70's that I found NOS for him. He still wore his EP pebble grain belt though (not visible in picture).

Photo courtesy Kymberly B. Cortigiano Photography.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads