• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you had the Barrie last, and does it fit?  Thats all the matters, or it will end up like your other 9 shells.   The shoe itself is the best Alden #8 makeup "shoe" of all time...  Just look at those things.. Damn!

That's my fear is not having tried another last besides the Aberdeen and trubalance. Both were not optimal

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's my fear is not having tried another last besides the Aberdeen and trubalance. Both were not optimal

Barrie is fairly blobby and akin to the Trubalance last. But it's "broad" fit is what makes it appealing as a stock makeup.

unclesam099

Reaction score

Aberdeen and Trubalance are opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of fit. I like the Aberdeen in the 666 Tassel Loafer but have a loose heel in the 403 Indy. I have a perfect fit in the Hampton last. Barrie is definitely a good last if you size down 1/2 and don't have an exceedingly narrow foot (for a D width).

Do you have a local Alden store where you can try a pair before you buy?

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aberdeen and Trubalance are opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of fit. I like the Aberdeen in the 666 Tassel Loafer but have a loose heel in the 403 Indy. I have a perfect fit in the Hampton last. Barrie is definitely a good last if you size down 1/2 and don't have an exceedingly narrow foot (for a D width).

Do you have a local Alden store where you can try a pair before you buy?

Barrie is fairly blobby and akin to the Trubalance last. But it's "broad" fit is what makes it appealing as a stock makeup.

There is an Alden store so maybe I better try that before I consider buying. I just remember trying them on there and not really loving the way they fit. I sort of went with the logic of "the split toe in no8 shell looks amazing and I have to buy it". I compromised look vs fit and I'm guessing that the epaulet version has best of both worlds.

On another note I was at Costco with my brother and he's like "when's that place in New York gonna launch new sneakers" (referring to Epaulets sneakers). I vote for some sort of suede for spring/summer

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Epaulet

Re: Artisan collar...

Love it. So, it's not quite a cutaway (can be worn without tie?) and its points tuck nicely behind most jacket lapels?

Yes so collars will tick under lapels and it's quite a speed, but not cutaway territory.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Also, a quick question on the recent EFF jacket/suit run - will that 4-6 week production time projection apply from a respective date of purchase, or from when the group-buy closed and all info was submitted to the factory? Just charting out when to expect arrival.

@El Argentino we tried to submit everything within abut 3-7 days of its submission. Things got a bit backlogged, but nearly everything is entered. These weren't group buys, so they're not subject to the crazy-long delays of past runs. You actually bought a heavily discounted MTO, so each item is being made individually - and it's going to ship directly to you from the factory in a huge, terrifying box.

Sizing help for sneakers. If I am a 10D in Allen Edmonds should I go with 10 or 9.5 to account for stretch?

@clarksdb I'd say a size 10. I don't advise anyone to size down for stretch in our sneakers. They will break in, so a little bit of tightness is okay on the first wear, but I wouldn't buy them down one size. Unlike handsewns, they don't tend to stretch in the length - really just the height and width.

Unboxed my EFF trousers tonight. For anyone wondering, here's Stoney Beach and Dusty Saffron side by side. Was amazed at the difference in hue when I perceived them as much more grey at purchase.

@El Argentino very nice!

Shell Alt Wiens back in stock. Debating pulling the trigger, decision will come after lunch.

Edit: cracked, ordered.

@concealed thank you sir! You're going to love them.

I'm already too late for my size: 7.5 :(
Or maybe that's not in the stock run??
Guess I have to keep waiting for a preorder.

@kwanon we received two units of size 7.5D, but both of them were preordered.

But for you 7.5D dudes @Akeem @lifeinabox @Michigan Planner , I actually have two nice makeups in your size. Both of them are great for the rugged weather out there:

EDMUND INDY BOOT BROWN COUNTRY GRAIN: $585

INNSBRUCK MICHIGAN BOOT: $585

@Epaulet the Alt Wiens that came in, did the shipment include the remainder of the last preorder?

@bkotsko no, they didn't - I'm honestly not sure what's going on. It looks like we got a duplicate of the order from six weeks ago (which is a good problem to have). That order with the wides and narrows shoud still be in work - we're following up now.

So I bought a pair of Aldens a long time ago, didnt care much for them due to fit, now see the Alt Weins and somehow have started to show some interest.

I also had like 10 pairs of shell shoes/boots and sold all but 1. So pitch to me why or why not I should have them.

@justinkapur the Color #8 Alt Wien is pretty much perfect when it comes to style. It really matches everything out there. The antique sole contrasts nicely against the upper and the medallion captoe sets it apart from the sea of Longwings / Shortwings out there.

But the fit has to work for you. If you're close to Alden SF, then try on the stock Color #8 Longwing. The materials, last, and fit are the same. If you like how that feels then you'll dig these. I think that the look will jive brilliantly with a lot of things that you own.

Not sure if it'll get more fit pics of them showing up in this thread (or if someone else already mentioned it), but shout-out from GQ yesterday: http://www.gq.com/story/combat-boots-with-a-suit-winter-style

@notwithit - thanks, I hadn't seen that! The Combat's got gonzo press this season, it's cool to see guys coming around to that style.

@Epaulet

Re: Artisan collar...

Love it. So, it's not quite a cutaway (can be worn without tie?) and its points tuck nicely behind most jacket lapels?

@sacafotos it's awesome, right? We're going to build out a bunch of "new" options which are actually kind of old. Individualized has all kinds of collars in their pattern lineup which aren't actually in their catalog. We had a great meeting with the Sales Director and handed him a large list of samples to do.

The Artisan collar is their unofficial homage to the Gucci collars of the early 80's BTW. It's rad, and actually very current with the stuff coming out of Naples these days. And yes, it's not quite a cutaway and the points should sit well under a jacket.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@El Argentino
 we tried to submit everything within abut 3-7 days of its submission. Things got a bit backlogged, but nearly everything is entered. These weren't group buys, so they're not subject to the crazy-long delays of past runs. You actually bought a heavily discounted MTO, so each item is being made individually - and it's going to ship directly to you from the factory in a huge, terrifying box. 

Thank you - forgive me if I wasn't clear; I realize this wasn't a "group buy" in the formal sense, and that it was going through the MTO program, etc. But you've answered it that the orders go in separately to Southwick, and that shipping is charted out from individual orders and not from the closing of the offer itself.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EP Oatmeal Daltrey SC
VBC Navy Flannels

Jeez those shoes are nice.

My feet are on the narrow side of D at 4" wide at the ball of the feet and 2.75" wide heel. Should I size down on the Alt Wein Barrie 1 full size like I do on Viberg boots? On those I have a thumbs width beyond the end of my big toe. Which winds up being right on. I had discussions with another Viberg boot owner who did size down one full size on the Barrie like he does on the Vibergs.

I'm ready to order these Aldens so any quick help would be most appreciated!

kwanon

Reaction score

But for you 7.5D dudes @Akeem @lifeinabox @Michigan Planner , I actually have two nice makeups in your size. Both of them are great for the rugged weather out there:

Thanks--that gives me some hope for the future. I had finally resolved to buy those on the spot next time they popped up, so I was pretty bummed to think it wasn't even in the run and I would never get the chance.

Those Indys look pretty nice, and I'm usually not an Indy fan.

Last edited:

turkey_sandwich

Reaction score
@justinkapur, @metranger8694

You probably don't need MORE input on Alden sizing/fit, but I thought I'd offer a couple thoughts since I haven't followed conventional wisdom of down a 1/2 size on the Barrie/Trubalance and have wound up with shoes that fit me very well and are super comfortable.

I'm a 10 C/D on the Brannock and size down to 9 D on the Barrie and Trubalance lasts. (FWIW, I have the unfinished horse tennis trainer highs in 9.5 and just got the combat boots in the same size.) The Trubalance is still wide for me and I need a thin insert, but that typically does the trick. The Barrie last fits me very well, though boots typically work better than shoes -- probably because the extra lacing is better at keeping my foot in place. Generally, it take me 10+ wears to feel like Aldens (especially on double leather soles) are "comfortable." After six months of rotation, they're generally in the "I will never wear another shoe again" territory.

Maybe that helps...

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@justinkapur , @metranger8694

You probably don't need MORE input on Alden sizing/fit, but I thought I'd offer a couple thoughts since I haven't followed conventional wisdom of down a 1/2 size on the Barrie/Trubalance and have wound up with shoes that fit me very well and are super comfortable.

I'm a 10 C/D on the Brannock and size down to 9 D on the Barrie and Trubalance lasts. (FWIW, I have the unfinished horse tennis trainer highs in 9.5 and just got the combat boots in the same size.) The Trubalance is still wide for me and I need a thin insert, but that typically does the trick. The Barrie last fits me very well, though boots typically work better than shoes -- probably because the extra lacing is better at keeping my foot in place. Generally, it take me 10+ wears to feel like Aldens (especially on double leather soles) are "comfortable." After six months of rotation, they're generally in the "I will never wear another shoe again" territory.

Maybe that helps...
Oh yes I do!

That helps a lot. And the extra lacing of a boot is why my Vibergs fit best with a little extra toe room that some of the lasts give.

I am an 11.5 Brannock on the narrow side of D as I said above.

I ordered a 10.5 and hope that Mike confirms that I ordered the right size.

Thank you so much.

stevefok

Reaction score
The fact that all other sizes are still in stock 2 hours later and I've seen 4 people interested in size 7.5 is killing me. I am sure they have statistics and a basis for starting at size 8, but arg >.<

@El Argentino we tried to submit everything within abut 3-7 days of its submission. Things got a bit backlogged, but nearly everything is entered. These weren't group buys, so they're not subject to the crazy-long delays of past runs. You actually bought a heavily discounted MTO, so each item is being made individually - and it's going to ship directly to you from the factory in a huge, terrifying box.

@clarksdb I'd say a size 10. I don't advise anyone to size down for stretch in our sneakers. They will break in, so a little bit of tightness is okay on the first wear, but I wouldn't buy them down one size. Unlike handsewns, they don't tend to stretch in the length - really just the height and width.

@El Argentino very nice!

@concealed thank you sir! You're going to love them.

INNSBRUCK MICHIGAN BOOT: $585

@bkotsko no, they didn't - I'm honestly not sure what's going on. It looks like we got a duplicate of the order from six weeks ago (which is a good problem to have). That order with the wides and narrows shoud still be in work - we're following up now.

@justinkapur the Color #8 Alt Wien is pretty much perfect when it comes to style. It really matches everything out there. The antique sole contrasts nicely against the upper and the medallion captoe sets it apart from the sea of Longwings / Shortwings out there.

But the fit has to work for you. If you're close to Alden SF, then try on the stock Color #8 Longwing. The materials, last, and fit are the same. If you like how that feels then you'll dig these. I think that the look will jive brilliantly with a lot of things that you own.

@notwithit - thanks, I hadn't seen that! The Combat's got gonzo press this season, it's cool to see guys coming around to that style.

Haha... I understand how painful it is to be a guy in size 7.5D. Mike, may be you could order 1 or 2 units in size 7.5D next time
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member