• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a speckled tweed (red speckles on grey/white/black) in some sort of wool/cash/something else blend from Loro Piana.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for the sweatpants. Just in time when I needed it the most. I am going to order some Garand with it too.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have a black on black thorpe varsity jacket that didnt work out for them in medium? please PM me.

work has been insane and i havent checked the website or forum in days so i missed out on this.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Gents - posting this with Mike's blessing...

I'm Jacob, co-founder of American Trench and longtime Epaulet customer (1st pair of trousers in fall 2009). It's the core values of Epaulet that have made me a customer for life - superior quality and craftsmanship from the best mills in the USA and Europe, unique fabrics, the desire keep pushing boundaries (EP sneakers!), all at a fair price. There is another element that Mike and Adele have fostered - community. When I told Mike we made a killer merino watch cap, his response was, "post it on the thread, guys will want to know about this!"

so here goes: USA made knitwear is hard find, even harder is to find a knitter whose quality standards match what people who read this thread expect, so when we were introduced to a knitter who started his own production factory in Texas (Texas!) that was using the latest full garment construction machinery, it was on. Our knitter also shares our love for high end yarns, another sign this was a good match.

Our first product is a winter staple, a watch cap. It's a 2 by 2 rib knit produced on Shima Seiki full garment construction machines (essentially like 3-D printing) - there are no seams on the hat, you could reverse it and there would be no difference between the inside and the outside. The rib knit has great internal stretch and will fit great on small, medium, and large heads (we tested this). The yarn choice was easy, Zegna Baruffa "Cash Wool," a superfine merino spun by Zegna of Italy. It's named Cash Wool as a play on the word cashmere because it's merino that has a hand feel similar to cashmere (while costing 80% less per kilo). Being merino it is also durable and forgiving, good for everyday use. There are two colors to start, a versatile charcoal and a deep red, call it ox-blood. Here is the value part, we are doing a special pre-order price, $65 shipped with delivery scheduled for mid to late November. Here is the link if you are interested, PM me if you have any questions:

http://www.americantrench.com/shop/caps-and-hats/merino-watch-cap/

oxblood swatch, bottom right:

Sincere thanks again to Mike and Adele for being one of our first stockists and for their continued support.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in for a hat if they're insanely soft as I shave my my head. Itchiness is a big no.

STK_astoria

Reaction score

It's a combination of (1) thickness of fabric and (2) elasticity of fabric

We're always using the same pattern to cut the trousers, and the patterns are pieces of hard paper. The fabric will get stretched taut under the paper for cutting.

Thicker fabrics - like tweed and flannel tend to stretch a bit and will make up larger. Really thick fabrics like Harris Tweed and Moleskin will make up the biggest.

Hopsack is a strange bird. It's got some elasticity to it, so it tends to make up a bit larger than super 120s, even though it doesn't have the weight of flannel/tweed

Super 120s will make up the second smallest of our categories. Linen makes up the smallest overall.

Now when I'm talking about large vs small, this is wholly the feel for the wearer. In most cases these garments will have nearly the same measurements, but can feel differently on. For most customers, this does not make any real difference. They'll take the same size across all fabrics. But if the garment fits you very snug in one or more dimensions, then you may notice the difference. Thanks to squats and way more carbohydrates than I should be eating at my age, I'm presently testing the limits of the Rudy 34 size. Hopsack and thicker fabrics are fine. Super 120s is a little restrictive for me. Nothing that a bit of tailoring couldn't fix, but I'm feeling it because the shape is so slim on me. Any minute change becomes obvious. Most guys fit into our trousers with more ease than I do, and this variance isn't even an issue. You'll feel a similar thing in shirts and jackets. Really any woven garment.

And sorry, after all of that rambling, the answer is to go for a 38 in flannel. You may consider doing a 39 in a Super 120s. And definitely order a 39 if you ever want to buy a linen trouser.

This was really great information, Mike, and reflects my personal experience with the Driggs fit. Driggs/34 in lightweight Hopsack is my most perfect fitting trouser. Both the Japan printed and LP cottons made up just slightly snugger, but still work really well for me. Irish linen is a beautiful fabric but just didn't make up well for me: too snug in seat and the drape of the legs just seems off for me.

Can you opine on the thickness/elasticity of the Wool Cavalry Twill and Prunelle offerings? Where do these fall in the scale?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hello Gents - posting this with Mike's blessing... I'm Jacob, co-founder of American Trench and longtime Epaulet customer (1st pair of trousers in fall 2009). It's the core values of Epaulet that have made me a customer for life - superior quality and craftsmanship from the best mills in the USA and Europe, unique fabrics, the desire keep pushing boundaries (EP sneakers!), all at a fair price. There is another element that Mike and Adele have fostered - community. When I told Mike we made a killer merino watch cap, his response was, "post it on the thread, guys will want to know about this!" so here goes: USA made knitwear is hard find, even harder is to find a knitter whose quality standards match what people who read this thread expect, so when we were introduced to a knitter who started his own production factory in Texas (Texas!) that was using the latest full garment construction machinery, it was on. Our knitter also shares our love for high end yarns, another sign this was a good match. Our first product is a winter staple, a watch cap. It's a 2 by 2 rib knit produced on Shima Seiki full garment construction machines (essentially like 3-D printing) - there are no seams on the hat, you could reverse it and there would be no difference between the inside and the outside. The rib knit has great internal stretch and will fit great on small, medium, and large heads (we tested this). The yarn choice was easy, Zegna Baruffa "Cash Wool," a superfine merino spun by Zegna of Italy. It's named Cash Wool as a play on the word cashmere because it's merino that has a hand feel similar to cashmere (while costing 80% less per kilo). Being merino it is also durable and forgiving, good for everyday use. There are two colors to start, a versatile charcoal and a deep red, call it ox-blood. Here is the value part, we are doing a special pre-order price, $65 shipped with delivery scheduled for mid to late November. Here is the link if you are interested, PM me if you have any questions: http://www.americantrench.com/shop/caps-and-hats/merino-watch-cap/ oxblood swatch, bottom right:
Sincere thanks again to Mike and Adele for being one of our first stockists and for their continued support.
Ordered. One for myself in oxblood and one for my brother-in-law for Christmas, who will like that this is a Philadelphia-based company and US-made product. Cheers guys.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@tricky This merino is truly superfine and at a different level - it's not itchy at all. that said, if it bothers your head you can send it back to us for a full refund.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@tricky
 This merino is truly superfine and at a different level - it's not itchy at all.  that said, if it bothers your head you can send it back to us for a full refund.  

Sounds good to me...will you ship to Canada too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads