• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been wearing my chambray Doyle quite a bit the past couple of weeks and while waiting in a very long Starbucks line this morning I discovered the patch pockets have side entry. I totally overlooked it in the product description and the pictures with the model with his hands in the pockets so I was pleasantly surprised by this! That type of inconspicuous pocket is so convenient, and a nice added touch, on just about any piece of outerwear.

:slayer:

Haha same here...was wearing it for a few months and the other day I noticed a picture of the model with his hands in the sides pockets. I ran upstairs to check mine...and sure enough :slayer:

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying something completely different today. Going with the dove gray hopsack MTO sportcoat without the matching pants.

Dove Gray hopsack sportcoat
Golden hopsack FF Rudy
Ashland blue herringbone button down
Alden snuff suede (via Epaulet)

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad that you like the fit! All of these are rinsed, but it's possible for a bit of excess dye to come out on the first wash. Nothing you'd have to worry about.

As with any dark colors or dyed pieces, you'll want to wash them cold with other darks

Thanks, I figured this would be the case. I just haven't handwashed something new besides denim in years, so it was a bit surprising.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they're called "hacking" pockets. They're superb.

I can't imagine not having them on a jacket like the Doyle; another huge plus for the Epaulet interpretation of the chore jacket.

@Epaulet

Would you consider nailhead and birdseye patterns to be more seasonal? I'm finally learning the difference between some of the weaves and realized how much I love these two. Would be killer as MTO fabrics for jackets.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Great pic.  +1000 for the brownstone locale vs. Smith.  Is that on Butler?

Thank you! It's close - was actually Pacific street, just west of Court.

I believe they're called "hacking" pockets. They're superb.

I can't imagine not having them on a jacket like the Doyle; another huge plus for the Epaulet interpretation of the chore jacket.

@Epaulet

Would you consider nailhead and birdseye patterns to be more seasonal? I'm finally learning the difference between some of the weaves and realized how much I love these two. Would be killer as MTO fabrics for jackets.

No, I'd say that they're year-round as patterns.

In terms of weight, the Chocolate Nailhead is a year-round cloth. The Charcoal Birdseye was a heavy patterned flannel, so you'd need cooler temps for that.

EPLA OCBD and Bedford cord Rivets

Solid!

Mike, can you say what's planned for stock F/W Walts vs MTO? For instance, will you get a stock charcoal donegal?

Just trying to plan out what I order when... :)

Sure, our next stock Walts will be:

Charcoal Dongeal
Salt & Pepper Donegal
Navy Donegal
Navy Flannel

So yes, we'll have those bases covered!

Trying something completely different today. Going with the dove gray hopsack MTO sportcoat without the matching pants.

Dove Gray hopsack sportcoat
Golden hopsack FF Rudy
Ashland blue herringbone button down
Alden snuff suede (via Epaulet)

Very cool, l love the dove gray sportcoat on top of those other pieces. I see that combo in Italy quite a bit, and it's really sharp.

I've been wearing my chambray Doyle quite a bit the past couple of weeks and while waiting in a very long Starbucks line this morning I discovered the patch pockets have side entry. I totally overlooked it in the product description and the pictures with the model with his hands in the pockets so I was pleasantly surprised by this! That type of inconspicuous pocket is so convenient, and a nice added touch, on just about any piece of outerwear.

:slayer:

Glad that you dig it! That was a must for Matt and I when we put together the design.

Odd and Extended Size Doyles should be here tomorrow!

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Mike,

In the past I ordered a size 38 hopsack and a size 38 120s. The 120s were more tight overall compared to the hopsack of the same size. I understand there will be some differences when they are cut, but does the thickness of the fabric have any bearing on the size difference? Are pants of the same size made smaller or larger based on the type of fabric it is?

I am looking for direction on if I need to size up with flannel or if the 38 hopsack fit, then a 38 flannel will be fine.

Does flannel break in more or less like other trousers?

Todd V

Reaction score
@EPAULET

Mike -- is the navy Italian Flannel a true navy? I'm trying to choose a cold weather suit for the office and want something very straight forward. I recall a navy flannel from last year that had more of a marled effect with light blue yarn there which wasn't quite corporate enough for me. :embar:

I was thinking about ordering the stock flannel walts and requesting an MTO sport jacket ASAP.

I'm also curious to see the Vitale Barberis options....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads