• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of the GAT-a-like sports trainers, and I have to say that they are WAY better than MMM. The silhouette is much sleeker, and actually reminiscent of an old pair of GATs (not the ****** bulbous ones you see on Ebay now) I had that fell apart. Great job with these sneakers. They'll be seeing a lot of wear.

Last edited:

Todd V

Reaction score

Wouldn't mind a racing green sportcoat as well...

:nest:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hey Mike, how does the Pale Gray Hopsack differ from the Dove Gray Hopsack? I got the Dove Gray last year and it's great but kinda flat looking. I'd like to get a slightly different shade or texture with maybe a bit of sheen.

Also, I'm looking for at least one new pair of FW trousers to pair with the Danube Blue Marl FF and the Olive Windowpane. I'm thinking charcoal flannel & camel tweed, but I'd appreciate any recs you may have? Thanks!!!

Pale Grey is lighter than Dove Grey, and it has a bit darker color variations in the yarn. Dove grey is a more straight-up light grey. I think that Pale Grey would suit the bill nicely for you!

And good call on Camel donegal - both of those would match brilliantly to those two sportcoats. I'd do pearl flannel over charcoal flannel - I think that will be a better match to the olive jacket.

Received the Vass Alt Wiens from the psycho markdown sale. Pretty sweet! (also got one of those olive suede Eisenhowers, which are downright insane)

I happened to be wearing some Rivet Chinos while trying them on today (although these days I seem to be wearing EP pants about 9.8 out of 10 days):

By the way Mike, are you guys going to stop carrying Carmina and Vass going forward? Judging from the markdowns and lack of new deliveries in a while, seems like you guys are moving on from these brands.

Killer! Great pairing of pants and shoes! Glad to see that all of the new gear is working out so well for you.

And yeah, we took some serious markdowns on VASS and Carmina. I've simply had to re-angle the business from where we were.

In terms of Carmina, we're keeping basics in stock (Double Monks & Plaintoes) and I'm just going to run semi-exclusive styles. As much as I love shoes, we're primarily a clothing store, and I'm never going to have guys banging down my door for things like Tassel loafers and handsewn penny loafers. The styles that I have on order will all be special - with a new Kudu (Antelope) boot and a Radica Museum calf shoe in-bound.

For VASS, I just love their shoes. But they clearly have a very limited OTR customer. We do about 6-8 individual MTO's a month, and those have been coming through nicely. I'm going to do some limited stock runs from them (maybe 8 pairs per style) and we'll keep things on the dressy side.

Our main pushes on footwear are going to be (1) New Alden makeups and (2) Sneakers. Our recent Alden styles have done very well and our preorder system was well received. The sneakers were extremely successful, and we're able to bring something to market that's sorely needed. Give me two weeks and I'll have a sneaker opportunity that's going to freaking blow your mind.

We've got a lot of product this season, but I hope that you'll find it more targeted to what you're looking for. Epaulet isn't a traditional retailer, and it's a mistake for me to act like one. We do our best work when we're designing our own items or modifying existing ones - not simply buying a bunch of stuff at a trade show. Items like the Doye, the Kamigata, the Loopwheel tees, and the Tennis Shoes were all moves in that direction. We'll keep rock n' rolling like that!

How much will Galey & Lord Walts shrink in the inseam? I think I want to end up around 31". Should I order 32"? With the added cost of MTO I really don't want to have to tailor them.
If they come in a bit short after drying is there any hope of letting them out? How far?

Say I go with a button fly on the Walts. If I then get an extended button tab, will there still be the secondary button to the left of the fly on the inside? So a total of 6 buttons?

They'll shrink about a half inch. I'd say do to 32" to be safe. You won't have much option to let them out.

And good question on the Walts - I don't think we've had anyone do that. I believe that the top center would have a clasp closure, like the stock Walts. It would be five buttons (four on the fly, one on the end of the extended tab).

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
TAKE IT EASY, MATT!

With a heavy heart, we here at Epaulet are bidding our fond farewells to Matthew Smith, who has been a integral part of our team since 2010. He's headed on to new ventures in his hometown of Atlanta, and we wish him the best! Thank you so much for your time, your devotion, and your great ideas. We'll miss you dude!

Matt will still check his Epaulet email ([email protected]) for personal messages, but if you have any Epaulet-related questions, please direct them to our main address: [email protected], or feel free to call our physical NYC shops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads