• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rivet Chino Sashiko Project: 4 Colors for early Feb Delivery

Rivet Chino Sashiko Natural Preorder: $145, Sizes 28 to 40
x_l8S4d20yfz85_tGEV64KYgUhnDyEjL9P-bNtOBons5NB1IvZ3vYGVVS3YsjZYPvcOhZF3fX8qKXjNtAtBU__Wfc7ceOAVguVQw5bY1gJixqrBr8Y6XaqclqDNB0bEsfQ=s0-d-e1-ft

What's the difference between these Rivet chinos compared to the Walt trousers in the same 12 oz natural sashiko? I put an order in for those Walts in March 2021 and haven't received them yet. And it looks like I paid $275. Is that the normal price difference for Walts vs Rivets or was I paying for Hertling-made trousers... that are no longer being made by Hertling (and maybe not being made at all, given the time it's taken for these)?

Blastwice

Reaction score
How do you (if you do) care for it? Any babying, or mostly just put it through its paces?

I treated this jacket harshly by immediately taking it to Italy and Croatia and walking for days in it, with the hot sun on my back over a two week excursion. At one point it was completely soaked through with sweat (day started out cool and it wasn't until I was at the top of the castle the sun really started to bake) that trip and I haven't touched it with any conditioner/treatment at all really.

Coming from the shoe world, my experience with horsehide in general is it is extremely resilient and requires almost zero care.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Mine is at least 3-4 years old with some mileage on it.

View attachment 1724993
View attachment 1724994

Absolutely epic photos... so glad to see that you guys are enjoying these!!!

Aero was taking time to catch up this past season, but their turnaround time is pretty much back to normal for every leather that's not Chromexcel. Chromexcel is going to be an issue for a bit, as they're having a hard time getting inventory from Horween.

But we're good on Unfinished Horse and there's enough on hand to put a dozen pieces into work immediately. I'm going to do a promo for this in early January where we offer 15% off deposit payments for a mid-Spring delivery. If anyone is interested in one of these pieces, we can certainly take that order now and give the discount. You can use code aero15, and it works on all of our custom jacket items.

They only have a small team, so getting the order in now (a few weeks before the promo) can take a significant amount of time off the delivery window.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What's the difference between these Rivet chinos compared to the Walt trousers in the same 12 oz natural sashiko? I put an order in for those Walts in March 2021 and haven't received them yet. And it looks like I paid $275. Is that the normal price difference for Walts vs Rivets or was I paying for Hertling-made trousers... that are no longer being made by Hertling (and maybe not being made at all, given the time it's taken for these)?

Ah man, I'm really sorry... I thought that we already caught all of the missed Hertling Sashiko pieces. Please drop an email to custom[at]epauletbrand.com and we'll get it sorted out for you. If anyone ever has a question like this, it's a big help if you want to include your order number or last name so we can look it up.

And to answer:

The RTC/Hertling product is much more expensive to make and sew than our Rivet Chinos. The final product from them is dressier and more constructed. Ming can take you through all of it, and we can certainly exchange your former order for chinos if you prefer

If you want to go with the trousers vs the chinos, then we'll have them made for you at RTC. You'll get a pretty large degree of customization possibilities with that.

Oh and regarding our Sashiko Chino preorder, I'm going to run this a bit differently than other projects that we've done:

1) We've sold about 15 pieces so far. Around 45 to 50 (depends on what sizes everyone orders) are still available

2) We'll do our last call for this on Tuesday the 28th. That's just the last call for SIZING. If you need a size 28, 29, 30, 37, 38, 39, or 40... this is going to be the final opportunity to get it. I won't make any open stock in any of those sizes.

3) On Wednesday the 29th, we'll give the finalized order for cutting. That's going to consume all of the fabric that we have on hand, and any fabric that's not preordered will go into sizes 31 to 36.

4) The chinos will then take about 2-3 weeks to sew. During this time, we'll keep the preorder open, but you'll be ordering against a finite stock per size. It's very possible that lower quantity sizes like 31 and 36 will entirely sell out. You can choose your color during this point and get the $145 preorder price (versus $195 MSRP).

5) We'll only close the preorder when all of the chinos are fully sewn and pending dye. At that point, we'll just assign any open stock to the most popular colors, probably Indigo & Gunmetal.

Here's the link to see more. If you don't have one of these chinos, then consider treating yourself... they're one of the best things that we've ever made, and this is great price for them! You can feel very confident about that early February ship date too... our new LA factory is really hungry and punctual. These are the same weight as the Doyle, so they'll make an excellent pant to transition from the Winter to the late Spring.

RIVET CHINO WINTER 21 SASHIKO FOUR COLOR PROJECT

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah man, I'm really sorry... I thought that we already caught all of the missed Hertling Sashiko pieces. Please drop an email to custom[at]epauletbrand.com and we'll get it sorted out for you. If anyone ever has a question like this, it's a big help if you want to include your order number or last name so we can look it up.

And to answer:

The RTC/Hertling product is much more expensive to make and sew than our Rivet Chinos. The final product from them is dressier and more constructed. Ming can take you through all of it, and we can certainly exchange your former order for chinos if you prefer

If you want to go with the trousers vs the chinos, then we'll have them made for you at RTC. You'll get a pretty large degree of customization possibilities with that.

Oh and regarding our Sashiko Chino preorder, I'm going to run this a bit differently than other projects that we've done:

1) We've sold about 15 pieces so far. Around 45 to 50 (depends on what sizes everyone orders) are still available

2) We'll do our last call for this on Tuesday the 28th. That's just the last call for SIZING. If you need a size 28, 29, 30, 37, 38, 39, or 40... this is going to be the final opportunity to get it. I won't make any open stock in any of those sizes.

3) On Wednesday the 29th, we'll give the finalized order for cutting. That's going to consume all of the fabric that we have on hand, and any fabric that's not preordered will go into sizes 31 to 36.

4) The chinos will then take about 2-3 weeks to sew. During this time, we'll keep the preorder open, but you'll be ordering against a finite stock per size. It's very possible that lower quantity sizes like 31 and 36 will entirely sell out. You can choose your color during this point and get the $145 preorder price (versus $195 MSRP).

5) We'll only close the preorder when all of the chinos are fully sewn and pending dye. At that point, we'll just assign any open stock to the most popular colors, probably Indigo & Gunmetal.

Here's the link to see more. If you don't have one of these chinos, then consider treating yourself... they're one of the best things that we've ever made, and this is great price for them! You can feel very confident about that early February ship date too... our new LA factory is really hungry and punctual. These are the same weight as the Doyle, so they'll make an excellent pant to transition from the Winter to the late Spring.

RIVET CHINO WINTER 21 SASHIKO FOUR COLOR PROJECT

I know it's christmas/the holidays and things are slower, but can you confirm you received my e-mail? i sent it Thursday when you responded with this. i want to make sure i'm getting added to this new order if my old order is being converted. Thanks!

L.I.T.

Reaction score
I know it's christmas/the holidays and things are slower, but can you confirm you received my e-mail? i sent it Thursday when you responded with this. i want to make sure i'm getting added to this new order if my old order is being converted. Thanks!

Hey @Handcuffed DMed you.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quick update for everyone... you may have noticed a near total radio silence on our side since the holidays started.

I don't have confirmation because testing is so freaking hard in this area, but pretty sure that both me and my partner have Omicron. We had a little Christmas get-together on Saturday and half of the people from that are now confirmed positive.

We're both triple-vaxxed and I don't have any severe symptoms. We're checking all of the boxes. It helps that I live with a Critical Care Pulmonologist. But we're both totally exhausted, and it's really difficult to focus on things, regardless of how much coffee I recklessly consume.

And it's really fine. I'm not concerned at all. With every single friend of mine in NYC testing positive, I was starting to feel left out! (I kid, I kid.. but it is freaking everywhere)

Right before Christmas, Ming and I photographed like 50 items for our sample sale, and in normal days I'd already have all of this stuff photographed and online. But it's been impossible to find the energy to do it.

Either way, I'm improving and I'm sure I'll be totally out of the woods and back to life in a few days. Until then, it's going to be slow in these parts. I've got a few boxes that are going out today and we have receipts coming in from both RTC (Hickey) and Gitman Bros. I'm planning to do an unboxing video to show off everything that we get.

And to anyone looking for status on an RTC, Individualized, or Gitman Order... feel free to email, but I won't be able to answer until late next week. All three are closed until Jan 5th or 6th, and I won't get any responses from them. But know this: we're going to fight like hell to get all of the RTC caught up by the end of January. This is typically the slowest time for custom orders, so it's a prime opportunity to catch up. Provided Omicron doesn't put like half of their staff into quarantine, we should be able to get a lot of long-awaited items received. And I'm confident that they'll be back up to speed and turning things with normal lead times by the end of Feb.

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I hope you and your partner get well soon @Epaulet

Thank you! Yeah we'll both be fine... we've got pulse oximeters and breathing rate monitors and the whole deal. I can taste and smell normally. It's mostly just extreme fatigue and body aches/soreness. Which is okay, but just making it very difficult to be focused on any kind of real work. I guess that it's good timing for it to happen during the slowest point of the year, and when LA has had two non-stop weeks of rain

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads