• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bradp

Reaction score
Front and back of my wilshires after about 3 months of steady evening and weekend wear, and one soak

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup. Those are olive ripstop Driggs. I think mine were done up when Mike was still dialing in the cargo design a bit. I also have them in the blue camo which is pretty boss

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup. Those are olive ripstop Driggs. I think mine were done up when Mike was still dialing in the cargo design a bit. I also have them in the blue camo which is pretty boss

Missing out on the USN camo was one of my great EP regrets.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking this, I was meaning to run this by you guys. I'm headed to Portugal next week and I've got two leather-goods manufacturers on my list.

I can make briefcases and weekenders that are straight-up world class at a killer price. We'd be looking at something like $450 on a briefcase and $500 on a weekender. Really great leather, flawless construction, and European manufacturing.

The thing that I'm struggling with: does anyone care? The problem with mens bags is that most men are very conservative with how they buy them. They'll buy a tiny fraction of what women will, and many of them will gravitate towards an actual bag brand. We can absolutely put out a superior product to a similarly priced item made in Asia, but it's hard to compete against a brand that only does bags. They just look more serious about it, and many customers will tend to trust them.

So I'm a bit torn. The backpack is great because it's unisex, and we've sold quite a few of them to women. We've sold a LOT of Stevie bags, and I'm absolutely making more women's designs. But I've had a pretty mediocre track record of making men's leather goods to date. Except for belts - we're always killing it with belts.

Given the pricepoint, would briefcases & weekenders be something that you guys are interested in? Are there other items that you'd rather see?
I'm thinking the weekender market is pretty saturated and tastes are all over the map. Unless it is something truly unique, I would expect you would have a hard time moving them.
That being said, something like this thing would get me interested
http://www.hookandalbert.com/gray-waxed-canvas-garment-weekender-bag-pre-order/

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to be hard for me to explain, but its on my wishlist.
So I saw somewhere (that I can no longer find) a duffle/weekender design that totally unzipped flat to allow for a shirt and trousers in and close and roll with the inside still being a bag to carry a few essentials.... Something akin to a burrito bag.
Edit:
Don WTF are you reading my mind?
@Don L

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That bag is dope.

I was going to say I really could use a bag like the Master-piece Potential backpack/overnighter. Weekenders are really not functional for hauling through airports.

I agree with you on your last comment. When it comes to travelling for business, I use a roller bag and will not use a weekender. I tried that a few times and was miserable lugging the weekender from gate to gate.

But when it comes to personal weekend trips, I am trying out alternatives to roller bags, since I view rollers as very business-y. I am considering the Master-piece potential back-pack/weekender, but I am not really a backpack person so I really need to see it in person before deciding. I have a Mismo coated canvas (I think that is what the material is called) weekender which I like as a casual option, but it does not have the compartments or design features that the Master-piece has.

Eventually, I would like a really smart, polished leather weekender. If Epaulet has any ideas for that, at a reasonable price (say under $1,000) I would be interested. A casual option from Epaulet -- not so much since you can get that anywhere and at any price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads