• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bertel

Reaction score
Just fyi - placed the following MTO today:

Enzo Bonafé Double Monk
Last: 946
Upper leather: Vitello Nero (Black calf)
Size/width: UK 10, E width
Construction/Sole: Black "Fondo chiuso" sole with Blake construction (slim waist)
Lining: Red Goat Lining

I have for some while now obsessed over the thought that the 946 last would make the perfect last for a mean, lean, chiseled Darth Vader like Black Double Monk, even more so when paired with fire red lining. I generally find the Bonafé welt/sole much too protruding, excessive and clunky (for dress shoes, not for boots!), so since Bonafé is one of the very few manufacturers that offer a high-quality Blake construction, I have happily chosen this slim black and very Italian option that I love for decades now (just look at the slim sole lines on this boot to see what I mean: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0277/2511/products/Bonafe-Button-Boot-Peccary-01_1024x1024.jpg )

@Skoaktiebolaget , thank you so much for your wonderful guidance and support with this!

Now the wait...

It has arrived - at Skoaktiebolaget yet, and hopefully soon at my door:

Last edited:

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bertel

Reaction score
The guys at Skoaktiebolaget again were extremely helpful in determining my correct size. I ordered the same size as I have in Carmina, in E width which is narrow in Bonafè terms, and now that I wear them for the first few minutes I would say they seem to fit remarkably well. They are on the popular chiseled 946 last.

Here another quick picture after unboxing:

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a few pairs of E.B shoes, a few questions.

Anyone got any WingTip boots, and any pics of Jumper boots in the wild?

What's E.B like compared to say Carmina or Alden?

ecwy

Reaction score

If you mean a Short wing derby (open lacing) boots (i.e. Carmina 80277 model), Bonafe has the model but is it very new hence no pics of it yet. I had enquired as part of the MTO promo in January. No idea on closed lacing design.

IMO, EB > Carmina >= Alden. I personally feel my only pair of EB (Austerity boot by Skoak) are better made than my Carmina ones. You can see my mini review here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/338047/...e-official-affiliate-thread/4995#post_7430972

Alden is an odd one for me. Unless you are based in US, their prices make less sense overseas. Alden are around 550-600 USD which is more expensive than Carmina for non US based people. Carmina is around the same price range in US but cheaper from European retailers. Hence, that's why I rate Alden slightly below Carmina only for the reason of pricing. Alden shoes/boots models are quite iconic so I do see the appeal. I have a Alden short wing boot in Alpine grain which I like quite a fair bit.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden can't be compared tp E B or Carmina, it's a totally different style and use.

Reero

Reaction score
From what I've seen and price range EB is not mass produced better quality bit more price wise and handwelted. That's what draws me to Bonafe

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good construction comparison candidates to EB are Hungarian shoe makers such as Vass and Buday. Both these brands are hand made and hand welted like EB.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonafe adelaide GMTO:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads