• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments SS15

Koreo

Reaction score

Just because measurements are the same for two pieces of clothing doesn't necessarily mean they will fit the same. Construction can and will have a large role in the fit of an item on a human body.

I mean just about any average dude could walk into a store and try on a women's coat and size up until it technically fit, but it would look off. Unless you need to have this jacket (and you're safeguarded by a great return policy), I'd pass. 

True. I'll take your word for it since I have yet to own an EG piece yet. Thanks.

eluther

Reaction score

Just because measurements are the same for two pieces of clothing doesn't necessarily mean they will fit the same. Construction can and will have a large role in the fit of an item on a human body.

I mean just about any average dude could walk into a store and try on a women's coat and size up until it technically fit, but it would look off. Unless you need to have this jacket (and you're safeguarded by a great return policy), I'd pass. 

Have you actually seen someone with an XY build wear FWK?

ramdomthought

Reaction score

i have

a women's bedford with the extra buttons and the extra cropped body feels pretty awkward in general, not that someone shouldn't try it if they understand that it's Different than the men's version

nsltrls

Reaction score

Yes. If that's not enough, I've also been routinely updating an excel spreadsheet of the times I've seen men wearing FWK (complete with timestamps and signatures of clothing wearers) and will message it to you shortly for your approval.

The question the guy asked basically boils down to "Is this a good or bad idea?"... It seems like a bad idea especially where a probable $100+ purchase is concerned, and where a little patience will likely get him a similar, more appropriate sportcoat if he waits until the end of this coming season for sales.

Koreo

Reaction score

Yes. If that's not enough, I've also been routinely updating an excel spreadsheet of the times I've seen men wearing FWK (complete with timestamps and signatures of clothing wearers) and will message it to you shortly for your approval.

The question the guy asked basically boils down to "Is this a good or bad idea?"... It seems like a bad idea especially where a probable $100+ purchase is concerned, and where a little patience will likely get him a similar, more appropriate sportcoat if he waits until the end of this coming season for sales.

Thanks again. Saved me time and money. Yeah just gotta be patient. Could you send me some of those photos as well? Im curious. In the meantime, still looking for a small wool herringbone bedford! Any condition.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks again. Saved me time and money. Yeah just gotta be patient. Could you send me some of those photos as well? Im curious. In the meantime, still looking for a small wool herringbone bedford! Any condition.

My wife has a size 0/fwk

eluther

Reaction score

Was just curious, mate. Didn't know if you were inferring from the fits or if you'd seen it in action. I don't see many people wearing EG outside of this thread, so I didn't know if there were pics here. No need to assume the worst out of people.

VCircuit

Reaction score
Cropped stuff can look good on shorter guys due to upper/lower torso balance.

Chest-darted stuff can look good on guys with a triangular/athletic upper torso (true of suppressed jackets in general IMO). But sleeve size tends to be a problem.

Fit and proportion in general is hard to talk about without considering the shape of the body, this is obviously true of blazers and similarly true of "women's clothing" which tends to have more 3d construction. And what is good is opinion, of course.

I wear women's jackets but I don't think I would ever buy one without trying it on in person.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
@Ken P – I stand corrected. Do you have examples from any prior seasons?

Looks like they do the M51 and the unlined Chesterfield regularly? http://www.loftman.co.jp/feature/26070

And another pair of shorts: http://www.loftman.co.jp/bd/17025

Damn. Japan gets all sorts of cool, exclusive ****. And what do we get? Socialized medicine. Oh wait...

Damn that m-51 is so nice. For sure on my list. Any idea if it's coming to North America in Olive sateen sometime next year?

EG has been killing it for outwear in my eyes. I can't get enough. Just ordered the Highland parka in Navy 20oz melton today too...

I'll slowly make my way into other stuff by them in 2015.

^ if it does it might possibly be a winter release.

Loftman's M-51 is actually the Enfield Jacket from the 2015 SS range, few detail changes like pockets mainly, plus it uses a nyco reverse sateen (from the look of it -- could be wrong).

The Enfield Jacket comes in Olive cotton ripstop / 3 colours / navy, olive, khaki

The highland parka from FW14 is used again in the SS15 collection and is renamed as the Type 51 parka (a true M-51) also in cotton ripstop and also only in those 3 colours.

Saw a photo of this today online and it reminded me of how awesome it is. Wondering if anyone has any info on this jacket and/or knows of a potential sale/North American release.

nsltrls

Reaction score
Saw a photo of this today online and it reminded me of how awesome it is. Wondering if anyone has any info on this jacket and/or knows of a potential sale/North American release.

There was a a size large M-51 in olive on Grailed and Rakuten a few days ago. I think someone bought it, though.

It really is a great piece. EG is almost always at its best when it does cool **** with restraint and I think the Loftman M-51 is one of the better examples of that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads